• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

yay or nay? (winch)

My friends and I have smitty's, always have worked good. Our rigs are lightweight, and we don't do big, long pulls. Just a foot or so to get moving again.

If I didn't already have a 9.5xp to replace my shithoused MM, and were looking for new, I'd go with the smitty :awesomework:....otherwise, find a good used Warn for close to or the same $....:cool:

sounds good. thank you all!! ima buy a smitty, unless i see a good deal on warn(like kev said) are superwinch, ramsey, and warn about the same quality? i know they are all pricy.

Save your money for a Warn, I'm a slow learner and have had to walk miles out to get some help after my winch failed me, IMO a winch is the number 1 most important part of a wheeling rig, you can go cheap on most other parts, but when you get to the point that you need a winch, it better work, and you want at least an 8k, when you are buried in the mud you are pulled 2-3 times the wieght of your rig. :;

Save your money for a Warn, I'm a slow learner and have had to walk miles out to get some help after my winch failed me, IMO a winch is the number 1 most important part of a wheeling rig, you can go cheap on most other parts, but when you get to the point that you need a winch, it better work, and you want at least an 8k, when you are buried in the mud you are pulled 2-3 times the wieght of your rig. :;

This :awesomework:

sounds good. thank you all!! ima buy a smitty, unless i see a good deal on warn(like kev said) are superwinch, ramsey, and warn about the same quality? i know they are all pricy.

Ramsey are what all the tow truck companies use. For some reason they aren't super popular in the 4x4 world. That said I have a Ramsey on my truck and its in a different class than a milemarker or smittybuilt.

Thats funny cuz I have now saved two rigs equipted with warns (one upright and one laydown) with my good ol CHEAP smitty built.

I was sure to talk **** each time and tell the stuck fellers that they were being saved by a cheap $300 smitty while there $1000 warn was broke.

It makes my day actually. Gloating about something that was cheaper and works better is one of my happy times.

Thats funny cuz I have now saved two rigs equipted with warns (one upright and one laydown) with my good ol CHEAP smitty built.

I was sure to talk **** each time and tell the stuck fellers that they were being saved by a cheap $300 smitty while there $1000 warn was broke.

It makes my day actually. Gloating about something that was cheaper and works better is one of my happy times.

Haha your right that is happy times :D But i was just talking about personal experience, i got xd9000i and iv had many many long hard pulls on it and its been a great winch :cool:

Was at the local HF today seen these never heard anything about them before ,wonder if there SLOW like the old ones.HF always has good return policy though and its close took a few back that I have abused back in the day.They use to sell the Ramseys there 10yrs ago which I was very happy with that thing got WORKED in the old busy never let me down.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9000-lb-electric-winch-with-automatic-brake-68143.html

i also have one of these cheap winches for pulling my front suspention up and the issue i have is with the engage lever. it pops out of engage. i have to hold it there while winching. i will take it apart soon to see what the issue is. its like there is no pall for it to click into or something.....

seems to me ive seen a few warn 8274's for sale here on this board and IMHO its the best winch on the market for what we do.

i also have one of these cheap winches for pulling my front suspention up and the issue i have is with the engage lever. it pops out of engage. i have to hold it there while winching. i will take it apart soon to see what the issue is. its like there is no pall for it to click into or something.....

Probably a rusty detent spring, IIRC seems like it is a common issue. Another common thing to do is regrease them as the grease they come with isn't the best, and can cause issues in cold weather.

Ya cant man handle the engage lever is all I have found.

Anyone I have installed one for I tell them to turn the handle, if it dont lock easily then turn the spool by hand till the teeth line up and it will slide right in easily.

I have only seen broken ones form other people on the rookie level. Anyone I have told this feature about has had zero problems.

They have addressed the problem as I was told. The tacoma 4WP can fix it in house also without needing to send it back to the mfger.

Judging by the capabilities of 4WP techs I would say anyone with a screwdriver and a pliers could probably fix one themselves.

Ya cant man handle the engage lever is all I have found.

Anyone I have installed one for I tell them to turn the handle, if it dont lock easily then turn the spool by hand till the teeth line up and it will slide right in easily.

I have only seen broken ones form other people on the rookie level. Anyone I have told this feature about has had zero problems.

They have addressed the problem as I was told. The tacoma 4WP can fix it in house also without needing to send it back to the mfger.

Judging by the capabilities of 4WP techs I would say anyone with a screwdriver and a pliers could probably fix one themselves.

yeah i was gonna take it apart and look see. i seem to remember a thread on pirate talking about an easy fix....

i was wondering this the other day...(another nube question) why do people pull there suspension with a winch. is it to help it get over big rocks and stuff?

Keeps the suspension unloading. If you do a drop over something, and the rear suspension unloads, it can send you ass over tea-kettle. Similar idea with the front, except it helps keep pressure on the front tires when climbing something.

Yes my cheap winch lever stopped working one day i went out to use it. The ball and spring get rusty (cheap ****) and wont move very easy. Just remove the cover and lube it up. Oh and there is a little pin you DO NOT WANT TO BEND. I will see if i have pictures. Easy fix about 30 minutes, but messy and while the cover is of, replace the grease while in there.

Latest posts