• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ death wobble

FFDave

Currently running 35" tires on leaf spring front end with Dana 60 in the front. Death wobble has gotten much more frequent after switching from 10 bolt axle. Do not currently have a track bar on the front. Will adding one help?

Also what is your pinion and caster angle? You should have some positive caster ....Dodge 60 was 2-4 degrees and GM 60 went up to 8 degrees I believe.

1tonyj said:
Also what is your pinion and caster angle? You should have some positive caster ....Dodge 60 was 2-4 degrees and GM 60 went up to 8 degrees I believe.

4-5 degrees and greater with larger tires. More tire, more caster.

What I've done recently to get rid of DW on two TJ's was to put two grade 8 5/8" washers under each TRE boot at each knuckle. It reduces the misalignment so that it can't generate enough inertia to slam the cross link back and forth. You don't need all that misalignment, the knuckle arm moves very little up/down when you turn.

Or you can get these:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/PLYBSH.html

Check all steering components and kingpins/balljoints for wear, if ok and you run shackles in the front like stock set up, a track bar will solve the DW.
My 2 cents.