• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ FUEL CELL...now a pump issue...now a split tank

Re: YJ FUEL CELL BEHIND SEAT....now a pump issue...need advice

Less than 2 tanks of gas and tank is leaking at the seam. Will call Rci Tuesday I guess. If they give me a new 1, going to add a pickup while its out this time. Anyone making their own or walbro worth it?

Re: YJ FUEL CELL BEHIND SEAT?

rpf500 said:
Less than 2 tanks of gas and tank is leaking at the seam. Will call Rci Tuesday I guess. If they give me a new 1, going to add a pickup while its out this time. Anyone making their own or walbro worth it?

Jduck said:
Yeah buy you have to go thru the hassel of a fuel cell leaking gas everywhere. I had 2161 in my buggy and it busted at the seam, will never run one again. If it were me I'd go with that plastic one from jegs, you'll just have to add a fitting for a return line.

Quoted myself just so I could be the ass that said told ya so molaugh Hopefully they'll get you set up with another one....just so it can do the same thing :****:

Re: YJ FUEL CELL BEHIND SEAT?

Jduck said:
Quoted myself just so I could be the ass that said told ya so molaugh Hopefully they'll get you set up with another one....just so it can do the same thing :****:

I know man. But whats the solution? I haven't found one for behind the seat. It has to go behind seat.

Re: YJ FUEL CELL BEHIND SEAT....now a pump issue...need advice

RustyC said:
I run a very similar setup in my Jeep. RCI cell, external pump. I did drill the side of the cell about 3/4" or so off the bottom. Installed a bulkhead fitting, pic below. On the inside I flared some hardline and ran it to the center of the cell as a pickup.
Outside the cell I run about a foot of hose to an in line screen then the pump then the fuel filter.

External pumps do not like to be restricted on the inlet side at all. I do not like to make the pump pull fuel uphill or through a filter then pump it.
An in line screen will keep the pine straw and lizards out of your pump and it will be happy.
A filter after the pump will keep your injectors happy.
If you find yourself needing a pump, I would seriously suggest going to an in tank setup. They just work better and last.

Most of all >>>Airtex<<< pumps are junk. :****:

Have anymore pics of how you set up the inside pickups?

For guys that have had luck with the RCI tanks......how do you have them mounted? Straps, trailworthy brackets, artec brackets, homemade, ect??

Every body I know is running a pos rci tank including myself. Just had to have a seem welded up last week. There friggin JUNK!!! My next one is going to be one of the round dune buggy style tanks. They have to be better than rci. :****:

Re: YJ FUEL CELL BEHIND SEAT....now a pump issue

rpf500 said:
MINE IS ON THE RAIL TOO. NEAR WHERE THE FACTORY FILTER MOUNTS. I SAW PEOPLE ALSO SAY PUMPS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO "PULL".

IF THAT IS THE CASE, WHICH PUMP IS. REALLY DON'T WANT TO CUT A HOLE IN THIS TANK AND PUT THE FACTORY PUMP IN IT.

I THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING TO PUT PUMP UNDER THE TANK ON THE CROSS RAIL HOPING IT BEING CLOSER TO TANK, THUS LESS FUEL TO "SUCK" A DISTANCE MIGHT HELP BUT THAT'S A WASTE IF THIS IS IN FACT THE WRONG PUMP.

I have no useful info or even a horse in this race, but I just have to add- I felt like you were yelling at us. :****: molaugh

5BrothersFabrication said:
I have no useful info or even a horse in this race, but I just have to add- I felt like you were yelling at us. :****: molaugh

I wasn't. This was an old post before I got my "smartphone" figured out. It was either all CAPS or Every First Letter Capitalized. I picked caps.

Junedog, any links or pics of this round tank you speak of?

rpf500 said:
I wasn't. This was an old post before I got my "smartphone" figured out. It was either all CAPS or Every First Letter Capitalized. I picked caps.

Junedog, any links or pics of this round tank you speak of?

Rpf500 get on about any dune buggy catalog site and you'll see them. There 2 of my friends have them in there buggys . Just about every rail buggy you see has the kind I'm talking about. :dblthumb:

JohnG said:
The answer is to use straps over the tank to hold it down. Do not use the tabs they provide on the corners.

That's how mine is installed. The newer tanks don't have the tabs from the factory anymore.

Well, I spoke with Whayne today. He asked if this was in a Jeep or offroad rig, and I said Jeep. He said they sell about 10,000 tanks of different sizes a year, and almost all warranties come from the offroad guys. Anyway, he said no problem, they have a solution now (apparently due to amount of claims) and that he is having one double welded on all the seams and shipped out today.

He asked if I was able to put down some rubber mat under the tank and foam weather strip on the underside the the straps and I said yes. He said that, along with the double welds, and I should be good to go.

So, I guess we will see what happens. I just thought it was fair to report that even though this happened, they took care of me and sounds like they are taking care of it in the future as well.

That's good to know. The only thing I didn't do was put down a mat to set it on. Mines on double thick camper foam and foam on my straps. Rode this weekend with no new cracks. Guess I'll have to see how long it holds up. I think when it cracks the next time I'll use the internals and have one made out of 1/8" aluminum .