• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ one ton master cylinder recommendation?

FFDave

Any thoughts on master cylinder upgrades for a 1992 YJ. Currently have a 14 bolt with drums and a recently installed D60 in the front. Doesn't stop well since upgrading front axle. I have a set of discs to put on the rear as well. Looking for advice on what model master cylinder to run. One suggestion has been a corvette master cylinder?

Re:

Mine is off a 60 something corvette. Bolted up pretty easy and stops pretty good. Could probably use some adjustment for the pedal. It was weird getting used to because there's not much pedal pressure but the brakes work great.

I used e350 back in the day on a couple yjs. Had to modify the mounting a little

Looks like the E350 is the way to go. There are other posts online for a 68 vette option, but people seem to have trouble sealing the MC to the brake booster.

Re:

I'm running the e350 on mine, but have heard that when you go rear disk it isn't sufficient. Got a buddy running one from a dodge 3500 and says it does good with 4 wheel disk

Re:

09zkrankin said:
I'm running the e350 on mine, but have heard that when you go rear disk it isn't sufficient. Got a buddy running one from a dodge 3500 and says it does good with 4 wheel disk

Mines has 4wheel disks and works just fine.

I've got a Grand Marquis master in mine (1-1/8 bore). Just swapped in 1tons and the pedal is too soft for my preference. It worked great with the d44s. I'm upgrading to a dodge 2500 master to firm it up.

Not trying to high jack the thread but is everyone still running the stock jeep booster and just switching the master cylinder?

I'm using a stock YJ booster in my 87. I've read a lot of people swap to the 95 dual diaphragm booster, but I've never had an issue with braking power so I didn't bother.

For the E350 and 2500 set up, would I need to upgrade to the dual diaphragm 1995 yj brake booster or is the single sufficient?

I run the dual piston fords in the fron and 3/4ton chevy's in the rear. I'm running 43" tires.

1st-I started out runing non power corvette master and it was like a brick, would not stop.

2nd- I then swapped in a yj single diaphram booster and used a vette master with an adjustable proporitoning valve for the rear. It stopped ok, but not great, it woud lock the rears up and the fronts woud drag a bit but not lock up in gravel. I didn't have much pedal, it was almost to the floor.

3rd- I swapped a Dodge 2500 master onto the yj single diaphram booster, left the proportining valve on the rear and used a 2psi residual valve on the front. This scenario has been the best brakes i've had on it yet. Still not great but much better. It will lock the rears up on pavement and bark the fronts. It will lock all 4 up in gravel, dirt, or grass. Still room for improvement but not to bad.

I'll also say that the e350 made an improvement, but wasn't something I'd call great. Had to use a proportioning valve for the rear brakes too.