• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired ZL1

blzrgb

Looking for a ZL1 out of a way new Camaro. Wish full thinking I guess. 662-279-1236

The motor he's looking for is the same motor that's in the newer CTSv.... He may not know that

LSA (CTSv) is a 6.2 SUPERCHARGED rated at 556
ZL1 (camaro) is a 6.2 SUPERCHARGED rated at around 585
ZR1 (corvette) is a 6.2 SUPERCHARGED rated at 638

All "basically" identical aside from boost pressure and piston design (and the heads on the ZR1)

I bet it would be a hell of alot cheaper to put a cam, and do a little head work and hang a procharger on a 6.0, and probally make more power

I'm old enough to have a hot rod article that said the zl1 69 camero also made 638 flywheel hp

halcat said:
I'm old enough to have a hot rod article that said the zl1 69 camero also made 638 flywheel hp
Not quite that old (but close) but, yep, that 69' zL1 would be a sweet find. I always dream of finding one in the isle of an old barn somewhere.
Then I wake up.

I just sold a 69 camero L72 427 four speed car. Not an original but built just like one. As a matter a fact, I took the motor motor out for a while and ran it in my white jeep, was a blast!

halcat said:
I just sold a 69 camero L72 427 four speed car. Not an original but built just like one. As a matter a fact, I took the motor motor out for a while and ran it in my white jeep, was a blast!

Did the engine go with the car ?

The engine did not go with the car but is gone none the less. I've hade this motor since the 70's.and sold it to keep from building a rat rod. I was trying to finish my jeep and did not need to spend money anywhere else. I dd, however trade some work for a 489 big block built for off road that makes big power down low that is better than anything I've to date. It is a 15k engine and worth every horse. Makes 625 lbs tq. At 3500 rpms, unbelievable!

A buddy of mine has the bare block for a 69 Zl1 but dont think its for sale

489= 30 over 454 with 1/4 in stroke, eagle crank, corella rods, wisco 10 to 1 pistons, coated bearings, dane custom ground full hyd roller cam- 601 lift, 228-236 dur., brodex race rite alum. Heads, air gap intake, fast 750 cfm fuel injection, hexajust cam gear, fluid damper , makes 597 hp @ 6200 rpms and 624 lb ft tq @ 3500 rpms. The first trip out broke rear Rockwell axle and Detroit locker, replaced with oversons. Next trip out blew trany replaced with full race TCI trany. Backed off a little than went to harlin and broke front axle while turning only 1200 rpms. Question is can we afford that kind of torque!

Only problem is fast floods it! Got a 600 hp fuel pump set to 60 psi. Had to move the oxygen sensor up in a header tube to get a good reading. It must have thought it was always cold and told it tobe rich. It's better now but still runs to rich, but that gives it quick throttle response.