• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brads buggy / car build

kid rok said:
As of now the struts are the bomb. I think their more for high speed wheelin than rock crawlin. They don't unload like coil overs do and they really work well in turns and help stop lean. Mine are a little stiff when I hit a small bump but they seem to work great over the larger bumps. I still need to do alot of tuning to keep them from bottoming out, but I set them up close to yours. I put 160 in the bottom and 120 in the top. I need a little more bump stop though.
I hope that's backwards. back the bottoms off 10 psi or put 15 more in the top.

Give me a good break down on setup. I lost my manual that came with the struts. :dunno: Also what does the screw at the bottom do?.
Ok, what I have now. the pressures that are listed above . I initially had about 6" of shaft showing when I first charged them the the psi above. I know have closer to 5" showing. They seem to work great when I'm side hilling and just crusing around , but if I land hard they still bottom out. As of now the rig is very stable in turns and going up hill.

I know you talked to Kelly this am. He called me about something else, and I said "did you see Brads vid? I think he needs to tune those struts a bit more", and he starts laughing. He says "I just got off the phone with him" yeah we are some busy mofos before 7am.

From what I could see on the cruise around the lot vid is you need more bottom pressure in the rear. The little screw on the bottom speeds up or slows down your rebound. If you want to pogo off of stuff crank them clockwise (I think), if you want them to soak up the hit and slowly rebound all the way counterclockwise. By slow down its not much at all. We played with mine at both ends and ended up neutral.

I'm going to bump the top up first and see where that puts me. Then if that doesn't work I'll kick out the bottom. I'll get a better vid of how it works over the week end. Kelly , I 'll also get the files over to you as soon as I can. thumb.gif

Finally got around to it this evening. I bumped up the uppers 15psi, so that gives me 135 over 160. Then did a little off camber stuff still very stable. Then headed for the test gully, I hit it at about 25+-,the struts soaked it up pretty well . They didn't bottom out and I didn't get bounced around. I tryed to jump over the weekend ,but the jump at my dads is not very user friendly. I think I'll run em alittle at what I have and see how they do.

Got to do some good testing over the weekend. As far as casual trail riding and crawlin they worked as good as coil overs. At high speeds I can slam it into turns and roll with it. I was at River Rock and got it on their xcross track and pushed it pretty hard into the turns and it was solid. Then came up on a jump I thought was table top and ended up shorting a double OUCH. Well any ways the struts seem to work well , but I still bottom out on the hard landings. I am currently at 135 on the top and 160 on the bottom.
So going by Kelly's first option I should drop the bottom 10 psi and bump the top up 15 psi. I feel I need to get the back a little stiffer , because of the front hitting first off a jump then the back slams hard, I'm talking about the landings. Does this make since?
I going to set the struts up a little different every ride and give feed back. I figure this will be some useful tech someday.
River Roc ride
set up
top 135 B F
bottom 160 B F
vehical dry weight 4000
passenger 250#
full cooler yes
crawlin-A
cornering- B+
bump absorbing-B
Jumping-F

I am still appalled, unless you are typing taht wrong, that you have more pressure on the bottom than on the top and there is shaft showing. We are upper 100's on teh top and near 100 on the bottom. I keep seeing you post that you have more in the bottom than the top. I just don't see it being anything but ****ing STIFF. If this really a typo or what you have?

If this really a typo or what you have?
Posted on: Yesterday at 07:02:59 PMPosted by: kid rok
No typo,, it's what I have. Your saying my setup is dead wrong and It should feel like I'm running around on bricks. Other than bottoming out on hard landings it rides pretty well.
Give me some #'s and I will setup to that, and then give feed back.

try 150 on top and 120 on bottom.....not that I know anything about those shocks...LOL numbers sound good though. haha

glad they are working out well for you, I believe a pair will be in my future. :afro:

I'm not a pic man, My dad has some video, and pics ,but his photo skills are about as good as yours :flipoff1:
Really nothing worth posting up. Maybe some will get taken in Harland. If not I'll dig through what I got and see what I can do.

Ill help you........... and I wasnt eve there.. :flipoff1:

b8ce09b3127cce98548a8b0cc000000046100AcM2Tlu1ZMmVg.jpg

I think this is you also....
b8ce09b3127cce98548a8d0cc600000046100AcM2Tlu1ZMmVg.jpg