• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

RTIC coolers

onetoncrawler

Does anyone have a RTIC cooler? I've got a couple of K2's now and I'm looking for a 45-50 quart and looking at options. I can get a RTIC 45 for $189 or a scratch and dent K2 50 for $216. I have had good luck with K2 so I'm leaning that way, but if the cooler is comparable I don't mind saving some $$$

thanks

I have one. It doesn't seem to keep ice as long as my yeti but I also open the tic a whole lot more on the weekends then the yeti. RTIC is the beer cooler.

RTICs are carbon copies of Yeti's at half the price. No cooler is going to keep your ice for a while whenever you are opening it 20x a day for beer/water/food.

I have the rtic soft side cooler I take in the Jeep and it won't hold ice for 24 hours, more like 10-12 max, biggest waste of money imho

Re: Re: RTIC coolers

Zjman said:
I have the rtic soft side cooler I take in the Jeep and it won€™t hold ice for 24 hours, more like 10-12 max, biggest waste of money imho
Do you pre chill your cooler before hand? I see so many guys that say their cooler sucks but then I talk to them and find out they leave it baking in their garage all the time and put beer in ice in it right before they leave. Coolers are just big insulators and can hold heat just as well as they hold cold. Put beer and ice in a warm cooler and they've got get that temperature down before they can maintain a temp to keep ice. I have the same soft side RTIC as you and I had no problem keeping ice in it for a weekend of wheeling, as a matter of fact if I left over beer I can normally still grab cold ones for a day or two later out of it once i get home.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I could tell a huge difference in my igloo max vs K2, so much so that I threw the igloo away. The rigidity is also a big plus to me. Being able to tie them down and still open the lid is also a plus. I agree with McMinn that the Yeti isn't worth the money, that's why I have always looked at other similar options.

I'll check into the Magellan :dblthumb:

kmcminn said:
Can anyone tell a difference between one of the 5 day igloo to a yeti? I got a yeti 75, yeah it's a nice cooler but worth the money. No.
I have a 5 day Coleman that is probably similar to an igloo and it keeps ice good if it's prechilled but the thing I like about YETIs and all the knock off stuff is how turf they are. I've broke my fair share of cheap ones but the nicer ones are holding up much better.

onepieceatatime said:
Do you pre chill your cooler before hand? I see so many guys that say their cooler sucks but then I talk to them and find out they leave it baking in their garage all the time and put beer in ice in it right before they leave. Coolers are just big insulators and can hold heat just as well as they hold cold. Put beer and ice in a warm cooler and they've got get that temperature down before they can maintain a temp to keep ice. I have the same soft side RTIC as you and I had no problem keeping ice in it for a weekend of wheeling, as a matter of fact if I left over beer I can normally still grab cold ones for a day or two later out of it once i get home.

Exactly. I leave a yeti 65 in my truck all the time. I can put water in it Monday and still have ice Friday, but if I use it hot the ice is gone in 2days.

The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that I was stupid and paid extra for a cooler that is darker colored and it absolutely doesn't work as well. It gets so hot in the sun that you can't touch it and the white one beside it will be just fine. White may be boring, but it's a cooler so who cares.

creepycrawly said:
The only thing I have to add to this conversation is that I was stupid and paid extra for a cooler that is darker colored and it absolutely doesn't work as well. It gets so hot in the sun that you can't touch it and the white one beside it will be just fine. White may be boring, but it's a cooler so who cares.

this is very true. I got tan coolers because i didn't want a nasty white one. I can tell the difference. i also keep mine inside and pre chill. I can make it a whole weekend wheeling without adding ice if I'm smart on opening and closing

Freeze milk jugs or two liter bottles of salt water and put it in your cooler with your ice. It will super chill the cooler and keep ice an extra day or two. I've had it get cold enough that it freezes the ice cubes in a solid chunk.
I boil the water and keep adding salt until it stops dissolving, let it cool and pour it in jugs or bottles to reuse as ice packs. According to my laser thermometer, it is about 14 degrees colder than regular ice. 18 versus 32 degrees.

jeff150 said:
Freeze milk jugs or two liter bottles of salt water and put it in your cooler with your ice. It will super chill the cooler and keep ice an extra day or two. I've had it get cold enough that it freezes the ice cubes in a solid chunk.
I boil the water and keep adding salt until it stops dissolving, let it cool and pour it in jugs or bottles to reuse as ice packs. According to my laser thermometer, it is about 14 degrees colder than regular ice. 18 versus 32 degrees.
That's good info. I like freezing a couple bottles of water per cooler and use 1/2 gallon milk jugs or rectangle juice bottles. Definitely going to try the salt water in the jugs.

I have a $20 coleman that I started putting the reflectix bags in and then filling with ice. Gets me 3-4 days of ice and 4-5 days everything is cold. Good enough for most weekend trips...however my buddy has the rtic 40qt tan and it held more longer and has a much better lid/closing system. Probably be my next cooler once my chitty plastic one fails me.

I also have a grizzly, and the normal Coleman brand coolers. Ive had ice in the coleman since Friday night. But it was only opened a few times Friday and about 40 times on Sunday night. I usually prechill if it's a weekend trip. For day trips I just add ice. If you pre chill and don't open a lot the ice will turn into ice blocks. So I do recommend opening and moving stuff around a few times.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk