• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

05+ superduty disc brakes

wizzo said:
Depends on your idea of ultimate. For me, there are certain components that I'd rather use "off the shelf" / parts store parts.

If you're considering using wilwood calipers, I would go with the 6 piston calipers.

This, Eric "bronco72" did my and selveys "redlinediesel " hydroboost, It was a package Patrick put together. Maybe Eric will chime in. And they work great. All with off the shelf parts.

kmcminn said:
How much is the spidertrax kit for the sd outers?

I don't know of a complete kit for SD axles available from Spidertrax, but from their site hats, rotors, calipers, and pads come out to $535 per corner. That's no caliper bracket though. So Braniks are definitely cheaper. I would have used there stuff on mine, but it wasn't available way back then.

I have a set of aluminum adapter brackets in the shop that adapt the Spidertrax brakes to the '99-'04 knuckles, but I'm not sure if they would work on the '05+. I don't mind to get measurements to compare if someone has the '05+ measurements.

hokie_yj said:
I don't know of a complete kit for SD axles available from Spidertrax, but from their site hats, rotors, calipers, and pads come out to $535 per corner. That's no caliper bracket though. So Braniks are definitely cheaper. I would have used there stuff on mine, but it wasn't available way back then.

I have a set of aluminum adapter brackets in the shop that adapt the Spidertrax brakes to the '99-'04 knuckles, but I'm not sure if they would work on the '05+. I don't mind to get measurements to compare if someone has the '05+ measurements.

What measurements do you need?

Bebop said:
What measurements do you need?

I was just going to compare the distance between the caliper mounting holes to see if they would fit the '05 plus. I'm assuming they're probably bigger than the '99-'04 though.

Bebop said:
I talked in great lengths with PHolmann when he switched his buggy to hydroboost from the CNC masters he had. Runs a stock HB. Brakes are perfect.
I talked in great lengths with Donny about his (he runs a WOD ported HB with billet 4 pot Wilwood calipers). He's super happy with the brakes.
I talked Amanda Brandenburg (Wilddogdesign) into swapping her buggy over from CNC masters (she could barely stop the buggy on flat ground) and sold her a stock HB. Buggy never had better brakes after that.
I bought Jessica's Huffman HB out of her buggy and sent it to France and installed it there on a friends buggy. He couldn't be happier with the brakes.

I drove every single buggy listed up there.

Selvey (Treetremor) swapped his buggy over to HB after seing the improvements the boosters made on Amanda's and Lori's rigs. He loves his and swapped his second buggy to HB also.

Everyone in our little riding group runs a hydroboost and is happy with it.

That good for references ? ::)

So name droppy.... thumb.gif

I'm glad your riding group has had good luck so far. My group has had the opposite.

You seem to push hydro boost in any thread that the work "brake" is involved. That is why I asked. Personally, I prefer not to push something I haven't used on my own rig.

slravenel said:
Parts wise, the calipers themselves are ~2x the price alone. Not quite...but close to it.

Tend to agree with wizzo on the ultimate discussion. Ultimate for 1 guy isn't for another....keep in mind that pads alone are pretty $$$ for these things. I spend $90 an axle each season for pads that are run down to about 10% by the end of each season. And I have to order them from summit, so I cant just run to the store and grab some pads...I have to always have a set of 4 on my shelf just in case.

But mine also stops damn good.... WAY better than it did when I had stock brakes. Not even in the same ballpark really - even if I could fit a HB setup on this buggy, I wouldnt run it anyway
I guess what I meant is that 3/8 rotors and 6 piston calipers should stop really well? Or is the 4 piston good enough for the 3/8 rotors. Bot that I will be doing it soon, I have a ton of other things I want to upgrade first. But I like to know what I want when the time comes. Thanks

I am running the 4 piston on a 3/8 rotor with E compound wilwood pads, and it stops great. I can lock up all 4 tires pretty easily and I have a long pedal throw too. Would the 6 piston be better? Probably... but the 4 pistons work great for me. Keep in mind there is a lot more to it than just calipers and rotes though. You need the right masters, the right pedal throw, etc

Holding the 4 piston dynalite in your hand you will see exactly why it starts to flex when they are spaced out... they are super light and small. Space that out a bunch and It's almost wider than it is tall clamping wise and it makes sense why it would flex at that point. But again, I only have anecdotal evidence on that, nothing really set in stone....

wizzo said:
I'm glad your riding group has had good luck so far. My group has had the opposite.

That sucks for your friends who tried it and it didn't work. So far so good on our end.

You seem to push hydro boost in any thread that the work "brake" is involved. That is why I asked. Personally, I prefer not to push something I haven't used on my own rig.

Well, I don't feel like I "push" hydroboost.

I'm just sharing my opinion which is that a properly plumbed hydroboost setup would be the answer to some people's brake issues. It would also be cheaper than a very expensive spidertrax/branik brake package while offering a nicer pedal feel. I've seen the solution work. I also tried a properly set up "lightweight race brake package" and I believe that for our type of use the hydroboost makes the most sense.

And because I'm also putting my money where my mouth is, I have a hydroboost setup in the buggy I'm finishing. I'll make sure to report on how it works.

As for the "not trying to push something I haven't used on my own rig", it was my understanding that you don't have those 6 piston calipers on your rig, but you're advising others to buy them. I feel like you have a point about the spaced out 4 pot calipers flexing over the big rotors and that upgrading to the 6 pot ones might solve the problem. Here is a good example on how you can give an advice without having the parts installed on your rig.

The only thing I don't like about boosted brake systems, is using them when the engine is off. IDK specifically the setup you are running but most boosted systems require a ton of pedal force when off.

If you can build a manual setup that works well, it'll work well all the time.

Agreed. And that's IMO the main drawback of any boosted system.

They all have 1 or 2 assisted pedal strokes in them after an engine dies, but that's it.

No real way around it.

This is why my rig is going to be equipped with a manual cutting brake that could in case of a hydroboost failure be a way to limp the vehicle while still having brakes. It will also be used for front digs in normal conditions.

The reason why I don't mind loosing brake assist if my engine dies is that if the engine is dead, you'll also loose steering (full hydro). Idk what I'll do in the case I loose an engine, but it would probably involve winching the front end up and over an other vehicle and not using steering nor brakes while being towed.

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

Bebop said:
Agreed. And that's IMO the main drawback of any boosted system.

They all have 1 or 2 assisted pedal strokes in them after an engine dies, but that's it.

No real way around it.

This is why my rig is going to be equipped with a manual cutting brake that could in case of a hydroboost failure be a way to limp the vehicle while still having brakes. It will also be used for front digs in normal conditions.

The reason why I don't mind loosing brake assist if my engine dies is that if the engine is dead, you'll also loose steering (full hydro). Idk what I'll do in the case I loose an engine, but it would probably involve winching the front end up and over an other vehicle and not using steering nor brakes while being towed.
What size master, caliper & rotor setup are y'all running with the hydroboost?

The kit Patrick put together used std 3/4 ton calipers and rotors at all 4 corners with 2lbs residual valves on every MC output and a stock 99-02 Silverado HD HB + MC. TC or P pump only, you run into some issues with a stock non ported HB and a CBR or other type of high flow pump.

In my case I'll use the same HB + MC and brakes in the rear but I'll try to use off the shelf 05+ F250 brakes upfront. I don't think the extra volume will be a big problem, but I'll make sure to report how they work.

paradisepwoffrd said:
The only thing I don't like about boosted brake systems, is using them when the engine is off. IDK specifically the setup you are running but most boosted systems require a ton of pedal force when off.

If you can build a manual setup that works well, it'll work well all the time.

agreed there - its a major downfall to it in my opinion. I would MUCH rather lose steering than brakes

Hell just on the last trip out, I ran low on gas (yea...i know ::) :rolf: ) on a really long, steep downhill section at AOP and since my pickups are at the back of the tank, I needed to be flat before it would start back up...well had I lost brakes on that downhill, I would probably still be in the woods hauling buggy parts out to the truck. With it set up the way it is, I was able to coast down the hill under control and not have to worry about keeping my one pump on the brakes to not die.

That issue alone is enough for me to never touch HB on a trail buggy - add in the overheating of the pumps if you look at it funny, and the overall complexity (KISS method is king on a trail buggy in my opinion) of the kit... nah give me a good manual brake set up that works right and I'll pick it every single time over a HB setup.

Bebop said:
Well, I don't feel like I "push" hydroboost.

As for the "not trying to push something I haven't used on my own rig", it was my understanding that you don't have those 6 piston calipers on your rig, but you're advising others to buy them. I feel like you have a point about the spaced out 4 pot calipers flexing over the big rotors and that upgrading to the 6 pot ones might solve the problem. Here is a good example on how you can give an advice without having the parts installed on your rig.

Really? You pop into a thread about SD disc brakes and post this:

Bebop said:
Hydroboost 8)

If you're in the market for wilwood calipers, I think it's fairly common knowledge that the 6 piston calipers are better than the 4 piston. Cost is the reason why most (me included) go with the 4 piston. I try to share my experience. I run 4 pistons, I feel like 6 pistons would be better. I think most anyone running 4 piston calipers would agree with me. My brakes are pretty good but could be better.

I will have something that is actually useful to add to this thread about SD disc brake set ups. Until I get parts in hand, I'll keep to myself. Sorry for the derail from useful tech.

Incase some of you are wondering about the first intention of this thread, I did order a kit from lugnut4x4 (gubni). He claims a 20lb savings and ability to run a 16" wheel.
It sounds like a little bit of a lead time because of the custom machined caliper brackets, but I'm in no hurry.
Just thought I would give a heads up for those that were still interested in what he had together. Kit is 450 shipped.

whiskeymakin said:
Incase some of you are wondering about the first intention of this thread, I did order a kit from lugnut4x4 (gubni). He claims a 20lb savings and ability to run a 16" wheel.
It sounds like a little bit of a lead time because of the custom machined caliper brackets, but I'm in no hurry.
Just thought I would give a heads up for those that were still interested in what he had together. Kit is 450 shipped.

Nice! Show us the goods when you get the kit!

Re: Re: 05+ superduty disc brakes

redneckengineered said:
Having gone down the factory brake road, this is probably what I would do.
I will change over eventually

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:
Having gone down the factory brake road, this is probably what I would do.

Yours are stock 05+ F250/350 dual piston calipers. They are big girls.

I'm pretty sure, the lugnut kit uses the typical chevy single piston caliper that most everyone uses for 14b disc brake kits these days.