• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Don't really matter. No matter what size, you have to turn the ends down to press into the center section.

Re:

If it were me, I'd run 4".

Leave some stubs of stock tube in the junkyard housing, machine the 4" tube to a press fit over the stock tube stub...

Of course depending on what your stock tube size/thickness is...

Re:

TBItoy said:

Leave some stubs of stock tube in the junkyard housing, machine the 4" tube to a press fit over the stock tube stub...

Just talked to the guy I bought the axle from since I don't have it in hand yet. It's 3 3/8" tube in it now, and opening at the center is virtually the same he said.

Re:

TBItoy said:

if you do it this way you have designed a weak link in it but hey you are smarter than me

Re:

He's saying the "stubs" will be the weak link since they're 1/4"
The outside would be the tube going over the stub.

traveler said:
your right I probably don't know anything about a 14 bolt

I'm aware of your credentials and don't doubt that you know what you're talking about. It would be nice though for you to offer more specific details and be helpful instead of vague criticism and smugness. This is a home build though and you're not getting any business out of it so maybe you don't want to divulge any "trade secrets" :flipoff1:

Re: Re: 14 bolt front build thread and tech help

paradisepwoffrd said:
What are you doing for rotors? Redrilling them also or is there a slip over 8x6.5 the same dimensions? I'm guessing that you are running superduty calipers?

Or are you running something smaller/lighter?
Yea I'm running slotted drilled vented rotors I just made centers and transfered the pattern

ranger11 said:
He's saying the "stubs" will be the weak link since they're 1/4"
The outside would be the tube going over the stub.

If you already have 1/4" and you sleeve with 1/2" and do it right, it might as well be 3/4", and if you leave several inches sticking out ( say 6-8") , run the new tube all the way to the housing and weld it solid I would think it would be stronger that just turning it down and pressing a couple of inches in the housing.

And traveler why all the hate on anything related to an axle or such that anyone is messing with, seems like that has been the norm for a while in here.

Re: Re:

traveler said:
if you do it this way you have designed a weak link in it but hey you are smarter than me
Why do you stalk me around the internet and call me out/talk down about any comment I make?

I've literally had one conversation with you about a doubler, and ended up going a different route.

Also, care to elaborate on how what I described would be creating a weak link? You pop into threads and rarely ever offer any constructive information.

I know you are one of the people that "actually do" and make a lot of the parts we discuss/debate/bench race about. So your input and experience could be very valuable if you chose to present it.

The casting on a 14 bolt is too small to bore out for a 4" tube.

The OD of a 14 bolt tube is 3 3/8.

I'd assume you'd use 4" x .5" wall DOM for tube.

I'd think leaving 4-6" of stock tube, fully welding it into the center, boring the new 4" tube to press over it, plus a few plug welds and a full weld around the new/stock/center interface, would be the strongest possible way of building a 14b...?

Where is the designed weak link?

I'm not being facetious, I always want to learn.

if yall cant figure it out I will tell you at the point were the tube goes into the housing that is the point of flex it don't matter how much you put from there out that is still the thinnest point so if you don't retube it ,it will break there .and as far as you nick you comment on every thread so if I make a statement then yes its probably towards you .no hate on axle building just make comments so people don't make a mistake but no I will not tell you how to do it step for step that's taking food off of my table like it or not