• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Re: Re: 14 bolt front build thread and tech help

traveler said:
if yall cant figure it out I will tell you at the point were the tube goes into the housing that is the point of flex it don't matter how much you put from there out that is still the thinnest point so if you don't retube it ,it will break there .and as far as you nick you comment on every thread so if I make a statement then yes its probably towards you .no hate on axle building just make comments so people don't make a mistake but no I will not tell you how to do it step for step that's taking food off of my table like it or not
From what I've heard your prices aren't bad to retube one. Why not offer up your service's? Heck he's linking every vendor he's using to build this axle, if anything it would help you get more business. If it's personal I understand that, but what he's doing isn't cheap so most common folk ain't gonna do it or nor do most need a 14b front.

Beside all that I agree with you on the tube breaking at the splice/slug, cause the stock tubes neckdown. Most prob won't break it but those that can will. Or those that shouldn't, will.

Maybe I'm missing something but almost all your post tend to be negative.

ranger11 said:
From what I've heard your prices aren't bad to retube one. Why not offer up your service's? Heck he's linking every vendor he's using to build this axle, if anything it would help you get more business. If it's personal I understand that, but what he's doing isn't cheap so most common folk ain't gonna do it or nor do most need a 14b front.

Beside all that I agree with you on the tube breaking at the splice/slug, cause the stock tubes neckdown. Most prob won't break it but those that can will. Or those that shouldn't, will.

Maybe I'm missing something but almost all your post tend to be negative.
he has not contacted me dought he will and yes they are negative if you read them that way there is a lot of sarcasim that the internet don't get

and for everybodys info there is a 14bolt out there that came with 4" tubes and there are housings out there that are thick enough to bore out and put 4" tubes this info comes from the over 800 14bolts that I have retubed so this info might not be right thumb.gif

traveler said:
and for everybodys info there is a 14bolt out there that came with 4" tubes and there are housings out there that are thick enough to bore out and put 4" tubes this info comes from the over 800 14bolts that I have retubed so this info might not be right thumb.gif

You have an audience that is wanting to learn. If anything you seeming approachable may send some business your way.

What services do you offer? I like to keep my money in southeast if possible.

traveler said:

Gee thanks.

This was posted about in my initial "most desirable 14 bolt center" thread although I didn't realize the significance of it at the time. Some decent tech in that thread, it's worth a read.
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=51637.msg599740#msg599740

I've already done some recon and found that a junkyard just a mile down the road from me has a bunch of these vans. The guy on the phone had his mind blown when I asked what the diameter of the tubes were so I'm just going to go this week and check them out for myself. If anyone knows other models/years to look for post it up. Seems a 14 bolt center with thick casting capable of taking a 4" tube is the ticket. This will allow me to retube with 4" .25 wall tubes, be stronger, and lighter overall than the more common 3.5" 1/2" wall. Not sure on the weight difference but pretty sure I read a thread on pirate where someone did a material analysis on the two and the 4" .25 wall was lighter and significantly more resistant to bending.

Here's a picture from that thread I linked for reference purposes. You can clearly see how thick the center is where the tube presses in. Thanks to the_white_shadow for the info.

Attachments

• 20120804_083546.jpg
    20120804_083546.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 134
traveler said:
e over 800 14bolts that I have retubed

I'm sure you are going to have some sarcastic comment for this. But it doesn't seem like there would be 800 steering 14-bolts in existence. Why are so many needing new tubes?

The factory tubes seem to shear off at the chunk,fully trussed and ur good to go, unless u put to much heat welding the truss on then u hav scrap metal

traveler said:
not all are steering but all have thin tubes

So are you mostly replacing bent tubes on service vehicles? Or on 4x4's? Or pre-emptively replacing tubes before they bend? Or something else? 800 axles / 1600 tubes is a lot of tubes!

traveler said:
where are you going with this ?
JJ is just curious.

As are most people, as to why ~800 14 bolts would need to be retubed.

And the customers that are getting them retubed,

Is it common practice on service/commercial vehicles that get abused/overloaded?

Or is there really that many people getting 14 bolts retubed/custom/steer converted?

traveler said:
where are you going with this ?

Same thing I was wondering, probably. If you built that many 14 bolts, there's probably no need for a guy to build one or pay to have one built, just wait until one pops up for sale in the parts for sale/sell/sail section and probably get one for pennies on the doll hair.

And before I get flamed, Zack Payne told me you were the 14 bolt Jesus and if I got another couple dollars on the hour, I would most definately have you build me a set. :dblthumb:

I just had no idea that replacing tubes was so common, especially on non-steer applications. So I'm asking what the primary reason for doing so is?

they are thin they bend some are replacing already bent ones some are doing it before but when you have been retubing axles for 15 years you see it all and yes most are for offroad application

5BrothersFabrication said:
Same thing I was wondering, probably. If you built that many 14 bolts, there's probably no need for a guy to build one or pay to have one built, just wait until one pops up for sale in the parts for sale/sell/sail section and probably get one for pennies on the doll hair.

And before I get flamed, Zack Payne told me you were the 14 bolt Jesus and if I got another couple dollars on the hour, I would most definately have you build me a set. :dblthumb:

Well I tried to get one done by him. Never would answer the phone or return calls.
With his dickish responses here. I am glad I did mine myself. :flipper:
Plus I am not into making people take my money.

I will say this Ryan is pretty sharp on these axles and one of the most experienced machinist I have seen he made me a custom shaft for a transfer case on a peice of industrial equipment. I tried 5-6 large machine shops all were scared to death of the part, Ryan did it quick and cheap I would happily send him anything he knows what he is talking about and doesn't bullshit people