• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

2008 GMC Acadia transmission trouble ?

zayne2427

There's only one way to find out
I bought my wife a 2008 GMC Acadia and the transmission was "replaced" 25k miles ago. The transmission is the 6 speed front wheel drive and is starting to act up again. I have called several places and most say you have to replace the whole trans with a reman for between $3k-$4k with a 3yr 100k mile warranty. Had one shop say he could rebuild it for $1500 with a 12 month 12k mile warranty.
Any transmission guys out there with recommendations?

Sell the complete vehicle NOW! We have more trouble out of the Acadia,Traverse,Enclave,Outlooks than almost all other newer GM products combined. Typically it is a busted wave plate or a Torque Convertor issue on these trannys. $1500 is a good price for quality work. The complete engine, trans, & cradle assembly have to be pulled to do almost anything on these vehicles, the labor is almost worth that :****:

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. It is a rebuilt title car and most car lots wont take a rebuilt titled car in on trade. I have had several rebuilt title cars in the past so they don't scare me, but this one was supposed to have a new trans in it when I got it is the main reason I bought it. Oh well live and learn and as piper would say write it up as "stupid tax" for being dumb. Either pay 1500 and try to sell it or 3200 and get a 3 year 100k mile warranty and drive the wheels off of it.

If you want to keep, I would definitely get the 3/100k trans. The rebuilders all priced it with me removing/installing the trans when I called on getting our Expedition done. In the end, I paid about $400 more for the Jasper installed and with the 3/100k warranty. Well worth it.

What codes are in it. Worked at a gm dealer shop for a while. Engine and trans guy. I love those cars.

muddinmetal said:
Sell the complete vehicle NOW! We have more trouble out of the Acadia,Traverse,Enclave,Outlooks than almost all other newer GM products combined. Typically it is a busted wave plate or a Torque Convertor issue on these trannys. $1500 is a good price for quality work. The complete engine, trans, & cradle assembly have to be pulled to do almost anything on these vehicles, the labor is almost worth that :****:

This, couldn't have said it better. I am a GM guy, but these are nothing but problematic. Jasper trans will have to have the control module reflashed as well if you go that route.

I'd have to disagree. I love the acadias. Yes they have issues but so does everything. If you have a lift the motor and trans can be on the ground In an hour if you know what your doing. And the air bag issue can be solved by putting dielectric grease on the connectors under the seats. Timing chains are a big problem but not hard. And according to one of my old gm reps the new trans have better stuff in them. I would buy one in a heart beat. And I think there easy to work on once you get them fingered out. They are VERY sensitive to carbon build up on valves. Deffinatley run some cleaner through it every 30-40k miles. And be sure and keep the valve body cleaned. And if it hasn't had new valve covers done already pull the booster line and check for oil in booster

Should say throttle body not valve body. Got transmissions on my mind tonight unfortunately

My dad has a transmission shop n middle TN and honestly i think I've only seen one come in

If your willing to spend the little extra I would advise you to go with a jasper, we put in an average of 2-3 a week and they always work great.

Always have car troubles at the worst time. We are in the process of starting to build a new house and planned on building a shop and buying a 2 post lift before starting the house. Looks like the Post Lift may be on hold now.
At random times (mostly low RPM's) it will start to studded real bad. If you let off or give more throttle it goes away. If you shift it manually it doesn't do it near as bad. On the way to south carolina 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on and felt like it didn't want to shift out of 4th or 5th gear. It did fine on the way home but now doing the stuttering thing again. I talked with one shop and said it is prob the 35R wave plate and he could go in and rebuild it for $1500-$1700 with the 12k miles 12 month warranty. All of the other shops say i have to replace the entire trans for $3200. One local shop that has always taken care of me said the same thing happened to his wife's and told me to bring it over and he would hook it up to his flush machine and completely flush the trans. He said it may help me get a little more life out of it.

Sounds like there just trying to make some money off you and don't know what's going on

Since we seem to have some GM techs who know a little something about transmissions in here I hope you don't mind a small derail. What is your opinion of the 4t45e FWD trans in the Cobalts and so many other vehicles? Do you see lots of issues with them? How about the 4t65e's in the V6 and LS4 cars?

Is the trans fluid burnt? Does the trans control module have any codes? The 6T75 transaxle has issues with the tcm witch is internal to the trans.

"Derail on Patoyee, no problem at all. "
It was a little low when i changed the oil before our trip but not burnt. Im going to drop it off monday to get codes ran and trans flushed

Zayne, there is a newer Tcm update (programming) that GM has us put in them when they are in the shop with issues, that may also help.

JJ, I personally know nothing of the cobalt/hhr trans except we have never replaced one, and a 4t65e is good to around 400-435 flexplate horsepower without any issues 99.9% of the time