• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3 to 1 lowmax gears in a 205

04rubi said:
If I was building a rig I would just go with an atlas but since this one is already set up for the 205 I think I'd be money ahead just gearing it. Even though giving $1700 for a set of gears is hard to talk yourself into.

Its not just a set of gears, it's a case, too. I looked at it like this: If 3:1 is what you want you can spend $3k+ on an Atlas or $1700 on a 205 that will be stronger than the Atlas. It seemed like a no-brainer to me.

patooyee said:
Its not just a set of gears, it's a case, too. I looked at it like this: If 3:1 is what you want you can spend $3k+ on an Atlas or $1700 on a 205 that will be stronger than the Atlas. It seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Same reasons i went the 241/205 strongbox route....final drive ratio can be achieved without the big $$ on an atlas.

I emailed jb conversions a link to this thread maybe it will help with getting the lowmax back into production

patooyee said:

You can buy used atlas for $1800-2000

patooyee said:
So about the same price for something used and weaker. Still seems like a no-brainer to me. :)
And I have to change the mounts in my chassis.

patooyee said:
So about the same price for something used and weaker. Still seems like a no-brainer to me. :)

How many people not named Bobby Tanner/Cameron etc are ever going to break an Atlas? I've seen a couple 205's broken too btw...

patooyee said:
Why?

Of you're saying with the Atlas?
Yeah I was adding to your statement. The atlas would cost more, be weaker, and in my case I would have to change my chassis mounts. Kinda a no brainer.

04rubi said:
Yeah I was adding to your statement. The atlas would cost more, be weaker, and in my case I would have to change my chassis mounts. Kinda a no brainer.

Yup.

99% of us can't break an Atlas, I've had them in the past, they're a great product. I have nothing against them. Just seems like a LoMax makes more sense in this specific scenario.

Now trying to get a hold of one is the next challenge ...

Yeah I thought it would be hard too but I just had a guy on here pm me and said he had one new in the box and he wasn't going to use it. I told him I believe I'll take it.

What do yall think about the 3000 stall? Everybody said I'd love it but I'm not too sure about it. When it was on dyno he said it was fully locking up until about 3600.

patooyee said:
I totally agree. I wish I could have gotten a Lomax kit.

Only 205 cases I've heard of breaking Brandon Dillon and mega trucks, and few of those. Plus, I'm sure that LoMax's casting process is somewhat improved since the 205 case originally started being poured.

Other than that the only thing I see break are outputs, rear mainly. But is the same / equivalent on an Atlas so you're as likely o break an Atlas as you are a 205. Plus, NWF now offers a 34-spline rear output for the 205 whereas that is not even an option for an Atlas.

Stock 205 gears are physically bigger than Atlas and LoMax gears are bigger than stock 205.

I had a LoMax in my previous rig with a Vortec 350, SM465, and 42" tires. The rig worked great with that combination. I went with an Atlas in my current buggy due to availability.

One of my wheeling buddies has a LoMax in his buggy with a healthy 6.0, TH350, and 43s. It was a great set-up. However, he broke the t-case and ruined several of the gears at Windrock a few weeks ago. Now he is somewhat screwed unless he can find a used LoMax, which isn't likely. He'll either have to swap in a 205 and lose a lot of his gear reduction, or get an Atlas and have to rework driveshafts, crossmember, etc.

I wouldn't build my rig around a LoMax unless they come back into production.

RKBJR said:
I had a LoMax in my previous rig with a Vortec 350, SM465, and 42" tires. The rig worked great with that combination. I went with an Atlas in my current buggy due to availability.

One of my wheeling buddies has a LoMax in his buggy with a healthy 6.0, TH350, and 43s. It was a great set-up. However, he broke the t-case and ruined several of the gears at Windrock a few weeks ago. Now he is somewhat screwed unless he can find a used LoMax, which isn't likely. He'll either have to swap in a 205 and lose a lot of his gear reduction, or get an Atlas and have to rework driveshafts, crossmember, etc.

I wouldn't build my rig around a LoMax unless they come back into production.

Not sure of specifics but I really don't see an Atlas as the fix for someone who can break a 205 / LoMax.