• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

3 to 1 lowmax gears in a 205

patooyee said:
Not sure of specifics but I really don't see an Atlas as the fix for someone who can break a 205 / LoMax.

You can insert Hero case, Stak, or whatever in place of Atlas. The point is that he's in for an expensive repair because there are no replacement parts for the LoMax.

RKBJR said:
You can insert Hero case, Stak, or whatever in place of Atlas. The point is that he's in for an expensive repair because there are no replacement parts for the LoMax.

True, and definitely a drawback. But I think that 99.99999% of folks can't break a 205. If you really think you are a 1%-er than you got to pay the 1%-er price!

The availability of parts is the only thing that scares me about these kits but I highly doubt I'd ever break it. The one I found may possibly be 10 spline though. How much weaker is it than a 32?

The inputs and outputs can be changed out just like any 205. They are not LoMax proprietary parts. Only the gears and case are LoxMax proprietary. If you get a LoMax DIY kit you still need a 205 donor for the rest of the parts.

patooyee said:
The inputs and outputs can be changed out just like any 205. They are not LoMax proprietary parts. Only the gears and case are LoxMax proprietary. If you get a LoMax DIY kit you still need a 205 donor for the rest of the parts.
So in other words $1900-2000 for a used case low max kit and possibly a rebuild kit? Or does it come with new bearings seals and gaskets?

It only comes with the gears and case. So yes, add rebuild kit and stock NP205 to that.

O4rubi i wouldn't think u need that big of a converter if its been dyno tuned call 1 of the converter shops b4 u regear if your converter is not locked up until 36oo that means you're slipping when your trying 2 crawl

patooyee said:
Its not just a set of gears, it's a case, too. I looked at it like this: If 3:1 is what you want you can spend $3k+ on an Atlas or $1700 on a 205 that will be stronger than the Atlas. It seemed like a no-brainer to me.
^^^ This!!... I'm running the Lomax 3:1, 383 ,43s, and 5.13s. Really like it so far... :****:
Manual valve body th350 with 3100-3500 converter...stick it high gear and gone. :dblthumb:
Oh yeah.. and it's strong!! ;D

Edit: Shafts have been upgraded as well.

johneddie said:
^^^ This!!... I'm running the Lomax 3:1, 383 ,43s, and 5.13s. Really like it so far... :****:
Manual valve body th350 with 3100-3500 converter...stick it high gear and gone. :dblthumb:
Oh yeah.. and it's strong!! ;D

Edit: Shafts have been upgraded as well.
I figured if I could gear my transfer I could leave the stall. It's just the stock transfer and the big stall are not a good combo together unless your just gonna point and shoot everywhere you go.
patooyee said:
Talked to JB today about the 10 spline. They said I couldn't change to a 32 spline without milling out the case because the shafts are different.

Not that you'd want to mess with it but any engine shop can bore the case for $80. I've had it done on a stock case before.

If you're afraid of building a t-case, you're probably right. When JB has them in stock they offer pre-built cases for more money if that's your thing. I personally prefer to pay less for more strength even if that means I have to build it myself. I don't care what 04rubi does. I can see the attraction of an Atlas as well. There was obviously a lot of misunderstandings about the LoMax though so I figured I would try to clear some of them up. IE, its not a t-case in a box, you need a donor 205, it only comes with gears and case, the rest of the parts are normal 205 parts, etc.

patooyee said:
It only comes with the gears and case. So yes, add rebuild kit and stock NP205 to that.

Yep, you have to start with a stock 205 to get the bearing retainers, shift rails, shift forks, etc. A rebuild kit for new bearings, as mentioned. And you have to buy or fab twin sticks if you want them. Then you'll probably need upgraded outputs. By that time you are close to an Atlas in cost.

atlasVS205.jpg

The outputs are basically the same, but there is no 34-spline upgrade option for an Atlas whereas there is for a 205.

Depends on if you think a cast iron LoMax case is stronger than a cast aluminum Atlas case. I think so few have broken either it would be hard to make any statements one way or the other.

Beyond those what else is there to overall strength of a case?

Steve shattered a 205 case......but that shouldn't be surprising. If this were gears in a dana 300, I'd understand more of the debate on case strength.

Have talked to JB conversions several times last week and I agree if I was starting from the beginning an atlas would be a simpler plan but since mine already is running a 205 I'm just going to build it. They have several gear sets on hand and already have an order to have the cases made. He said it's just a slow process and will take several months before they are out but I got my name down for one.