• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 falls on its face

hjpcummins

Some know a little history of my 5.3.
Pretty much full rebuild besides heads

A Little info on engine 01 5.3 0 miles , cam & springs, psi harness and ecm.

While driving around the yard I can cruise just fine, after 1 or 2 half throttle pulls it starts to run like complete dog ****, damn near just falling on its face and shutting off. So shortly after I just let it sit and idel to test the new water temp gauge and try to get air pockets out of the system, during that time the idel is just stumbling.

Oil sits at 40 psi at idel (fluids checked)
Vacume leaks checked
Fuel rail air bleed
And so on..

This happened last time I had it in the yard, Parked it and started researching for someone with similar issues,with not much luck.

Scanner didn't find any trouble codes
Just looking for a little advice.
Thanks

Was just about to say that. We had two ls motors that sat and all 16 injectors were bad clogged.

Re:

Yeah iv been thru those threads but..why wouldn't it do this from first start? But that was going to be my next step

If the motor sat for a while, there is a good chance that the injectors are fouled. Every LS our local shop has dealt with has had to replace the injectors on motors that sat, including mine. If the injectors are good, check your O2 sensors: make sure they are the correct ones for your ECM program, and properly plugged in and installed correctly. IIRC, they are supposed to be as close to horizontal and between 9 and 3 on the exhaust close to the collector.

I had a similar issue, you may have read my thread. Ended up being trash in the injectors. Pull the injectors and reverse clean them first, I bet you get trash out. Runs like a champ again. Just my .02

Engines that have sat for extended periods with fuel(E10 gasoline) in the rails will generally have clogged injectors due to the gas turning to a varnish-like substance that is nearly impossible to get out. We have had generators and RV's come in the shop that have sat for 90 days without being started and had to replace carburetors on the generators and fuel pumps in the RV gas tanks as well as injectors. We have had no luck cleaning these parts.

I have done 2-3 LS motors I always soak them in seafoam cleaner you will be surprised what it will cut loose in them remove the o rings first

Injectors plugged
Fuel pressure too low
Clogged fuel line
MAP sensor going bad
Bad o2 sensors

If you're running the factory fuel pressure regulator pull the hose off it with the engine running and make sure its not bad and dumping fuel straight in the intake.

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH MINE TOO.ITS A 5.3 WITH A SMALL CAM AND LS2 INTAKE. IT WILL CUT OUT ON HARD ACCEL AND DIE OUT WHEN LETTING OFF ACCELERATOR AT TIMES. I HAVE A FAST FUEL LS TRANSPLANT KIT. ALREADY PUT NEW FAST INJECTORS IN IT, IAC, TPS AND NEW INTAKE GASKETS. I HAD A 92 MM THROTTLE BODY ON IT AND THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM SO I REINSTALLED THE STOCK THROTTLE BODY AND SAME ISSUE?? ANY INPUT. IVE EMAILED FAST FUEL SEVERAL TIMES AND THEY NEVER RESPOND.

Re: Re: 5.3 falls on its face

wizzo said:
I had a similar issue, you may have read my thread. Ended up being trash in the injectors. Pull the injectors and reverse clean them first, I bet you get trash out. Runs like a champ again. Just my .02
I soaked the injectors for a few hrs today cleaned the o rings and so on. They had a lil trash in them but not like yours.

Also soaked the rails and cross over pipe. Just picked up some monster intake gaskets just to cancel one thing out and hopefully more forward on resolving this pos .
43630efad79bf425a95205845335e05c.jpg

55f33c96ce040938ddf16859dc86a5e9.jpg
ed093d2c0749fcf8c611ce8229b07fab.jpg

Re:

Ok got everything back togeather, run a tad better ( probably since injectors are cleaner) my neighbor walked over and noticed the entire right side header was warm but not to hot to touch (exhaust wrap) but the left side was to hot to touch. Now I'm thinking electrical issue.. I tried to get different idel results by unplugging each coil pack on right side and barley a slight change. I unplugged the entire right coil gang and their was a little more difference in idel but not much still

I continued to do the left side and the changes were night and day compared to the right side of the engine. So I went ahead and disconnected the whole coil gang on the left side then the motor died...hmm not sure what to think of it at this point. Thinking someone with computers skills need to take a look?

Re:

hjpcummins said:
Ok got everything back togeather, run a tad better ( probably since injectors are cleaner) my neighbor walked over and noticed the entire right side header was warm but not to hot to touch (exhaust wrap) but the left side was to hot to touch. Now I'm thinking electrical issue.. I tried to get different idel results by unplugging each coil pack on right side and barley a slight change. I unplugged the entire right coil gang and their was a little more difference in idel but not much still

I continued to do the left side and the changes were night and day compared to the right side of the engine. So I went ahead and disconnected the whole coil gang on the left side then the motor died...hmm not sure what to think of it at this point. Thinking someone with computers skills need to take a look?

If you have o2's on each bank, unplug them and run it and see if its any better.

The harness connector for the coils has been known to be a trouble spot in my experience.. see if any of the pins look bad or other evidence of a poor connection.. I think you are calling it the gang connector... coils could also be bad.. maybe try swapping a couple coils from one bank to the other and see if the EGT's changes.

Re:

02s are new but I do recall when I had it mounted to the stand and running it ran great considering no vacume was blocked off.. so I'll be swapping things around today.

Does anyone know of a fuel pressure adapter for a truck fuel rail.. I'm not trying to splice into fuel system

Have you had any tuning done on this motor ? are these problems pre dyo tune ?

Re:

hjpcummins said:
02s are new but I do recall when I had it mounted to the stand and running it ran great considering no vacume was blocked off.. so I'll be swapping things around today.

Does anyone know of a fuel pressure adapter for a truck fuel rail.. I'm not trying to splice into fuel system

To check the pressure? If so there is a schrader valve to hook the gauge to on the factory rail.

Running on a stand and under load is two completely different things.
You will need a tune. :****: