• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

Cram some foam pipe insulation between the shroud and rad at the edges. I bet that will help a lot.

Re: Re:

Waffle said:
My air space sucks. Right behind my seats sits the X brace chassis mount and right behind that sits the radiator. Not too far behind it sits the fuel tank. I will be making a new tank this winter (keeps cracking anyway) and I'm designing it to have a radius so the fan air can more easily escape out the back.
I am hoping it's as easy as moving a little more air. If it's a restriction problem on airflow, I am hopeful you can find a little more to flow between the radiator.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Woodlee told me years ago he wires all of their builds to have them on all the time whenever the motor is on, 100% both fans. No switches or tsat sensors..

Waffle said:
Plumbed thru the chassis 1.75" tube. It's a typical Smith chassis with long radiused tube and 4 90 degree bends at the entry exit points. What kind of fan do you use? Do you know the model? Shrouded?
Have you pulled hoses or the tstat just to double check that nothing has gotten into the system and restricted it somewhere? If it all seems clean then your plumbing should be fine and being through the chassis should be plenty of flow. I have seen where depending on how everything is designed around the radiator ie shrouds, body panels, seats, etc... that the air just pulled through the radiator is trapped and goes around the edges of the radiator just to be sucked back through again and again and again so the fan moves air but it's already hot from being pulled through over and over and never actually cools any.

This may sound dumb but my fan is whatever brand Oreillys carries. It's the 14" and it's mounted directly to the fins. No shroud other than what the fan itself has. My reason for the oreillys fan is that it is available almost anywhere. So if mine craps out on me I can make a part run to the closest part store and get back to riding ASAP. 4 years and I've replaced it once last year. I let mine run constantly, no pcm controls or temp sensors to mess up just a simple toggle switch controlling a relay which are both from oreillys as well for ease of part replacement. I let it idle and warm up till about 180 degrees and then the fan stays on anytime I start the rig again for the rest of the day.

Let me know what you end up using Waffle, I have same size Griffin rad. with -16 fittings. I will be needing one soon. Pholman used a dual fan from late 90s Camaro, I never got the measurements, so I'm not sure it will fit.

Re: Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Have you pulled hoses or the tstat just to double check that nothing has gotten into the system and restricted it somewhere? If it all seems clean then your plumbing should be fine and being through the chassis should be plenty of flow. I have seen where depending on how everything is designed around the radiator ie shrouds, body panels, seats, etc... that the air just pulled through the radiator is trapped and goes around the edges of the radiator just to be sucked back through again and again and again so the fan moves air but it's already hot from being pulled through over and over and never actually cools any.

This may sound dumb but my fan is whatever brand Oreillys carries. It's the 14" and it's mounted directly to the fins. No shroud other than what the fan itself has. My reason for the oreillys fan is that it is available almost anywhere. So if mine craps out on me I can make a part run to the closest part store and get back to riding ASAP. 4 years and I've replaced it once last year. I let mine run constantly, no pcm controls or temp sensors to mess up just a simple toggle switch controlling a relay which are both from oreillys as well for ease of part replacement. I let it idle and warm up till about 180 degrees and then the fan stays on anytime I start the rig again for the rest of the day.
One easy way to test this is checking temps. Engine outlet, rad inlet, rad outlet, engine inlet. This won't tell u flow, but could tell you something if you have something you wouldnt expect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dirt700 said:
Let me know what you end up using Waffle, I have same size Griffin rad. with -16 fittings. I will be needing one soon. Pholman used a dual fan from late 90s Camaro, I never got the measurements, so I'm not sure it will fit.

I could measure that for you next weekend.

After riding it on Saturday (warmest day of the year in TN), it never went above 210 trail riding.
Lori didn't flog on it for too long though but I've seen Patrick abuse it without any issue.

Bebop said:
I could measure that for you next weekend.

After riding it on Saturday (warmest day of the year in TN), it never went above 210 trail riding.
Lori didn't flog on it for too long though but I've seen Patrick abuse it without any issue.
Thanks Enzo, that would be great.

Beerj said:
I know he's also running -20 fittings and a 160 stat.
I'm doing a 160 stat, maybe the slightly more restricted flow won't hurt it to much

Waffle said:
Can Flexalite black magic fans be trusted to work in our environment? Vibration, dust, water, the usual. I've had my eye on a black magic extreme 168. 15" fan, 3300 claimed cfm in a nicely contoured 21.5 x 17.5 shroud, but they make no mention of whether the motors are sealed or not. This would be ran through my existing pcm fan relays.
This is the fan I run after some references from a fellow wheeler. LS3-525 hp, rear radiator and it's the only fan setup that has held up to aggressive bouncing without breaking the housing and still keeps the engine cool. The shroud seals great, the housing is very thick and the fan moves a ton of air. I've pressure washed it many times over the last year and no failures. It could chop some fingers if you're not careful though. I also drilled a few 1/8" holes in the 160* thermostat to let a little leak through.

bbone said:
Woodlee told me years ago he wires all of their builds to have them on all the time whenever the motor is on, 100% both fans. No switches or tsat sensors..

Thats what i did on mine, with the 80A continuos duty solenoid, worked great

I am not sure how much I can add. I have a Smith chassis practically same as yours except my coolant runs through -16 braided line and not the chassis. I am running a "stock" 87 Chevy 4x4 radiator size but was bought through PRC with one of their custom shrouds and two spal fans. Not sure what CFM they are but they are on 50 AMP relays and will about kill the buggy when both cut on. I run them on a toggle switch only not on a temp sender. One of my fans will easily handle the load just trail riding but if it gets serious then it take both. Also they move enough air between the seats it about makes it miserable in the summer. Eitherway once I actually get all of the air out of the system mine hasn't overheated any. Overheated I would say 200 deg and below. I have a restricting washer in place of my thermostat.

If it will help I will take measurements or get fan numbers and look up all of the specs if it will help anyone just don't have them on me currently.

we run 2005 chrysler town and country rad and fan in a rear mount with 1.25 or 1.5 lines....fans are turned on when the engine is on.......I am running the same fans in on a stock k1500 rad, fans on all the time. Never had a problem overheating....

Re: Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

Waffle said:
Been watching videos and blog posts for cooling tech. Here's some info I found from Flexalite. (Keep in mind, my current fan setup is 2656 cfm)

First, flexalite recomends a minimum of 2500 cfm for a V8. They were talking about 5.0 fox bodies, not rear radiator 400+ horse bouncers. Second, they mention a comparison. Flexalite says, if you start with their 2500 cfm 16" basket fan mounted directly to the rad then swap it out for the shrouded 3300 cfm extreme 180 (pic below) you'll see a 40% increase in thermal transfer. Just thought I'd share this plus It helps me keep track of all this info.
You sound so much like a guy I know. Ingnore what everyone else is running and want to run name brand ****. In reality you ain't running nothing no different than half the people that have posted in this thread. You have a problem but it not radiator or fan related. Folks run way more hp than what you have with "old" fans and have no problems. You are overheating the motor some way. It may be a head problem or a timing problem but I almost bet my left nut(,that's the small one,) there's another problem causing the heat. I have had paper pulled from my hand 18" from a Taurus fan. It moved so much air on high the motor would never warm up. But it was a Ford motor so it may not count for you. A Taurus fan is way more capable of cooling a motor bigger than a yota motor.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Ranger could be on to something I am assuming you have an ls based motor and it is easy to be running a touch lean which is hard to keep cool not to mention but I have seen tuners do this to get every little bit out of a motor so they can make you feel good about your numbers just a thought

The end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know how all internet knowledge bases are man. Weed through the bullshit and smart ass comments to get the nugget of usable information.

Waffle said:
Perhaps people that run way more hp than me with old fans is because the old fans they're runnin flow way more than my current setup and the rumors are true. Perhaps knowing the cfm of a taurus or mk8 fan is irrelevant because it flows a **** ton of air anyway (and a **** ton more than my current setup, cause mine doesn't move air for ****). Id be ok with a new fan that flows a **** ton.I don't really know at what point I will see a noticeable difference. All I do know is that most people throwing shade here dont even post what rear rad and fan setups they have and are just throwing **** around. I'm asking for specifics so that I can make a comparison, but instead I'm getting Oh its the tstat. No, its the radiator. The pump. Steam tubes,The tuner. The heads. Comon man. Let me address the issue at hand, verify or confirm the results whatever they may be and go from there.

I'll bet my right nut that I could care less if I put a ford efan on my ****. Fact is, I've been eyeballing a 13-14 gt500 fan assembly since they're only $210 brand new, flow 3286 cfm thru what I think is an 18" diam fan. Lets say the taurus fan does indeed flow that well......thats great. I'll still need to do my research since not all were the same over the years even if its from the 3.8L model and now I'd be looking at even older parts than the mark 8 fan. Age is my problem. 10 yrs ago I would have done it, but now your talking about going back to the late 80's and around here in Cincinnati that stuff is hard to find. If I can match the results with something new and reliable, why is that a fault of mine?

It reminds me of 10-15 yrs ago when I had my yota crawler. Back then, spare parts were easy to find and cheap. But over the years it became so difficult to find stuff that I literally gave up.

My tuner was Tracy at Cincyspeed btw. Though he no longer tunes anymore and Cincyspeed closed its doors he had quite the reputation. I agree, something is off and I feel that I should be able to run my rig harder than I can. But I've seen some rigs that have radiator and fan setups way way beyond mine. My stuff looks puny in comparison.

Ya know what? **** it. This isn't worth the trouble! To those that replied with actual fan and shroud details of what you have or who else you know has what, I appreciate it.
My rear radiator is an aluminum dual core dual pass made for a 70s Abode mopar from speedway. And like I said before my fan is from oreillys.