• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Re: rear radiator electric fan success stories?

You do realize you can buy NEW replacement Taurus fans and not buy one 30yrs old right? The last one I ran came from summit.

Jduck said:
You do realize you can buy NEW replacement Taurus fans and not buy one 30yrs old right? The last one I ran came from summit.

He knows everything.......

No reason to bring common since into the discussion. He has said a taurus fan will only cool a 22RE..

I have a Taurus fan on my jeep that came from rock auto and I will say it isn't as good as the junk yard one that was on there before that but he is right it will keep a Toyota cool without the need for a radiator :****:

One thing I noticed about most of the aftermarket fans I've had in hand (flex a lites, haydens, etc) is that most use a 14 or maybe 12 gauge wire and only spin 60-70% as fast as the big 2 speed volvo fan.

The volvos also have a really great 2 speed fan relay with 10 guage wire (i think).

The big round 2 speed "1996 Volvo 850" S blade fan is like $90 new.

I'd rather get OEM parts from the junkyard for less than $20, that are most likely better quality than a new china made fan.
I've pulled over a dozen of them from the junkyard and never had bad one.

TBItoy said:
One thing I noticed about most of the aftermarket fans I've had in hand (flex a lites, haydens, etc) is that most use a 14 or maybe 12 gauge wire and only spin 60-70% as fast as the big 2 speed volvo fan.

The volvos also have a really great 2 speed fan relay with 10 guage wire (i think).

The big round 2 speed "1996 Volvo 850" S blade fan is like $90 new.

I'd rather get OEM parts from the junkyard for less than $20, that are most likely better quality than a new china made fan.
I've pulled over a dozen of them from the junkyard and never had bad one.

I pulled four in one day. Only one was bad. I am a cheapass that will take a spare with me.......

Re:

I think alot of guy have issue from these shrouds with no air gap its dead space in my opinion i run a Taurus 2 speed and its great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Had issues keeping mine cool when i first put it together, granite its still a front mount rad but anyway i ended up building my own shroud out of aluminum that fit the hole core and put a cheap jegs 14" fan on and it made a huge difference. Also i learned the hard way those electric fan blades are directional depending on wheather your using it as a pusher or puller, might be worth flippin the blade over and seein if u get more cfm across the core. I also read somewhere on the ls motors you cannot just block off the coolant ports that run to the heater core, it will cause an air pocket to get trapped in the stat housing and not allow the water to flow, you can get u shaped hoses from speedway motors or summit to fit them just for the ls motor.

Just to update like I said above.

My shroud looks just like the one in post #52 above.

My radiator measures as follows: 32" wide, 20" tall, 2.5" thick double pass.

I measured my fans out at 15" but looks like they only make 14" and 16" so I am not sure. My buggy was built in 2011 so I am sure it is 2010 fan. I am going to try to post below the best pic I could get of the sticker.

Attachments

• fan.jpg
    fan.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 205

Have you ever tried it without that flat shroud

Yea my fan shroud is probably atleast 3/4" or 1" thick. For sure made a little different then the one you posted with the pencil.

Dirt700 said:
Thanks Enzo, that would be great.

Rad dimensions : 28x16x1.5 (core only), ref of radiator in the pics
Fans are 12", Shroud is 28x18x1 but Patrick made a mount that places the fan blades 2" from the core. No ref on the shroud.

398163IMG9888.jpg

864763IMG9887.jpg

Bebop said:
Rad dimensions : 28x16x1.5 (core only), ref of radiator in the pics
Fans are 12", Shroud is 28x18x1 but Patrick made a mount that places the fan blades 2" from the core. No ref on the shroud.

398163IMG9888.jpg

864763IMG9887.jpg
Thanks Enzo, that may work for me, they are fairly cheap on rock auto.

When you open your radiator cap after it cools is it full? I have been dealing with similar issues in mine. I believe it might be because it's mounted a little lower than my motor. Mine is a 38"x16" CBR with duel 16" Spal fans. Rear mounted also.