• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

99-04 super duty knuckles?

Technician

How do they compare to Rieds? I'm building a ball joint axle and lookin at these knuckles, they are massive. Much larger than KPs. I don't want to go with an after market knuckle and I don't think I will need to with the super duty knuckles.

I remember reading a reply on the subject from Reid Racing,

Basically they said they didn't have a need to make an upgraded BJ knuckle, because the upper BJ would fail long before the knuckle did.

Are you planning on high steer? the stock steering arms are SUPER low on the 99-04 knuckles...

TBItoy said:
I remember reading a reply on the subject from Reid Racing,

Basically they said they didn't have a need to make an upgraded BJ knuckle, because the upper BJ would fail long before the knuckle did.

Are you planning on high steer? the stock steering arms are SUPER low on the 99-04 knuckles...

I'm going weld some plate to the knuckle for high steer.

I have a little experience with these knuckles so here is my $0.02 . If you do not have a donor axle already I would suggest looking for an 05 up axle as stated above. They have an even larger unit bearing / knuckle and have 35 spline outers.
The 99-04 axles are really good but have weak stub shafts. The unit bearings have to be machined to fit a 35 spline stub but a standard drive flange like a kingpin axle fit fine.
The 99-01 Superduty trucks came with a Dan 50 or 60 front, 02-04 are all Dana 60s so I have read. The 50 has big shafts but neck down at the carrier. The Dana 50 axles are great for donor axles. That is what I used to make a steering 9".
Here is a link to my build thread. There is some pictures and tech there on these outers. Once I went to 35 spline outers I have had no issue with them at all. BUT if I were to do it again I would use an 05-up donor axle.

(http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=30220.0)

pic of just the knuckle / high steer prior to welding.

You could always do some random chit like this. Previous owner welded these. I tried to drill thru for 5/8 heims and I bearly scratched them.
44bd26616a74c14403be0c34fcbda0db.jpg