• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Alaska RV Trip

hwmiller

So I got a bit of a dilemma and would like some opinions.

The wife and I are planning to drive from TN to AK pulling a small camper. We are both in graduate school and graduate this month. We are beginning to put things together and plan to start the trip at the beginning of next year.

So onto the dilemma... We are debating on which one of our vehicles to use as the tow vehicle. I have a 2001 Ford F150 5.4 with almost 200,000 miles and she has a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with 80,000 miles with the infamous 3.8. Both vehicles are mechanically sound but not sure which one to tow with. I would rather take the F150 as I would not have to worry as much about weight but I am nervous to make that long of a roadtrip with a such high mileage vehicle.

And a side not about the F150, I have had the truck since 40,000 miles and have never changed the transmission fluid. I am nervous to change it now because I have always heard stories where people change the fluid on a high mileage vehicle where the fluid has never been changed and then the transmission starts to have issues :dunno:

If we take the Jeep we will get a tiny camper around 2,000 pounds. The jeep is rated for 3,500 pounds but the thing is a turd stock so I don't know how it will be towing several thousands miles day in and day out.

Some may think why not just go buy a new truck? We currently have almost no bills and do not want a note while we make this trip.

No matter the obstacles we are making this trip. I am excited and amazed that my wife is actually behind the idea./

Lets hear some thoughts?

The Ford truck all the way, I pulled my Samurai buggy behind a jeep like that one time, and it sucked, and the brakes suck.

hwmiller said:
So I got a bit of a dilemma and would like some opinions.

The wife and I are planning to drive from TN to AK pulling a small camper. We are both in graduate school and graduate this month. We are beginning to put things together and plan to start the trip at the beginning of next year.

So onto the dilemma... We are debating on which one of our vehicles to use as the tow vehicle. I have a 2001 Ford F150 5.4 with almost 200,000 miles and she has a 2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with 80,000 miles with the infamous 3.8. Both vehicles are mechanically sound but not sure which one to tow with. I would rather take the F150 as I would not have to worry as much about weight but I am nervous to make that long of a roadtrip with a such high mileage vehicle.

And a side not about the F150, I have had the truck since 40,000 miles and have never changed the transmission fluid. I am nervous to change it now because I have always heard stories where people change the fluid on a high mileage vehicle where the fluid has never been changed and then the transmission starts to have issues :dunno:

If we take the Jeep we will get a tiny camper around 2,000 pounds. The jeep is rated for 3,500 pounds but the thing is a turd stock so I don't know how it will be towing several thousands miles day in and day out.

Some may think why not just go buy a new truck? We currently have almost no bills and do not want a note while we make this trip.

No matter the obstacles we are making this trip. I am excited and amazed that my wife is actually behind the idea./

Lets hear some thoughts?

Dude, pick one and wing it. Make some memories. It's the fun and silly times that make a relationship. You are taking a risk taking a Ford anywhere, but the truck gets my vote :fish:

buddy with an 11 jeep 3.8 pulled his 1900 lb pop up 18 hours to CO and back in 2014 on 35's and 4.10's. OD off the whole time. Just go 62 mph the whole time, should make it.....eventually.
I'd probably do the Ford. Put tow insurance on it. Take a CC and be prepared to have a trans put in, it'll be fine, I'm just as leary of that POS trans in teh jeep (I have the exact same jeep) as I would be of the Ford Trans

If you still got time do a transmission change now so if problems arise you can have it fixed before the trip.

I believe most of the stories on transmission problems come from a "flush" not an actual fluid and filter change. The flush tends to break things loose but you will benefit I believe from just dropping your pan and changing filter and putting some new oil in it.

Re: Re: Alaska RV Trip

blacksheep10 said:
buddy with an 11 jeep 3.8 pulled his 1900 lb pop up 18 hours to CO and back in 2014 on 35's and 4.10's. OD off the whole time. Just go 62 mph the whole time, should make it.....eventually.
I'd probably do the Ford. Put tow insurance on it. Take a CC and be prepared to have a trans put in, it'll be fine, I'm just as leary of that POS trans in teh jeep (I have the exact same jeep) as I would be of the Ford Trans
This

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If the trans has shown no signs of giving trouble don't sweat it. Those 4r70W transmissions are pretty tough. Have a blast. Muddin is right, its the strange **** that happens that makes the best memories.

Just a thought, but what about driving to say Washington in either vehicles and rent a pull behind up there and return it on your way back reducing your pulling distance by probably 5000 miles? Either vehicle you use, you need to post up pictures along the way. I have always wanted to do that trip and will be experiencing it through your eyes. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

I have always heard that rv's towed to alaska are one way as they are usually beat up pretty bad by thousands of miles of really bad roads...

Take lots of spare tires too

I'm thinking that of the two the ford is the only option tho I think I'd find an 80,000 mile chevy for the trip... could prolly buy it for what the maintenance would be to get the ford there and back LOL

Don't bring me and don't take my advice.

Pack the truck with all that you think you will need. Research and buy a camper when you get there. Sell the camper before you come back home. Yes you will need a hotel on the way out and back, but the costs of not towing a trailer will offset this, not put as much wear and tear on the vehicle and it will be much easier to get in and out of places along the way.

Bring a tent or get a camper top for a hundred bucks if y'all wanna stay out in the bush for a day or so on the way out. My favorite stories involve all the crap that didn't go right on almost every trip I have taken. Just have fun and don't over think it. Don't bring so much crap that you think you will need. Turns out there are stores along the way that you can buy things, but few places to give you back what you paid for something that you didn't need.

muddinmetal said:
Dude, pick one and wing it. Make some memories. It's the fun and silly times that make a relationship. You are taking a risk taking a Ford anywhere, but the truck gets my vote :fish:

THIS x eleventhlybillions.

Trust me, I've been there :D

Including a round trip from Atlanta to Moab, pulling a 5000lbs with a tired 5.3 suburban on a crappy trailer with crappy trailer tires, no sleep and plenty of weird stuff happening along the way. That was 2 weeks ago with (almost) no plans whatsoever.
Whatever happens to you happens, but this is what memories are made of.

On a more serious note, I'd change the trans fluid and filter, maybe add a trans cooler and just drive.

I work for a used car dealer(mainly jeeps). I would hate to think I had to pull a camper with a jeep. They are not setup for the strain and the brakes stink, as mentioned above. I agree hands down use the f150,also like the camper top idea and larger trans cooler. Prolly get similar fuel mileage from either towing.

I currently tow with a truck with 280k+. When I got the truck I drained the trans and refilled, a few weeks later added a larger trans cooler. I plan to do another drain and fill before I do a filter and fluid change. I have done this to 2 other higher mileage vehicles and have had good luck, even towing my tj 1000mile round trip.

I've hauled my travel trailer, a Forest River R-Pod from Alabama to Utah numerous times. Tow vehicles were both a 2011 JKUR and a 2013 RKUR. Both were auto. The '13 has 35's and 4.10. Only thing I added was a 7 pin plug for 12 volt and a Prodigy wireless brake controller. The TT weighted around 2200 lbs empty. Never had a bit of trouble other than having to take it slow and easy over some mountain passes in Colorado. Who ever would try to tow anything other than a utility trailer without trailer brakes with a Jeep is not very worried about safety.

I made the drive to AK, made the loop around AK, then back to MS back in 2006. It was just for the fun of making the trip but we done it non stop with 2 drivers. The AlCan highway is actually in great shape most of the way then. There was about 100 miles of gravel road but it was smooth. We went up thru Edmonton and back down thru Seattle to see different areas.

I'd recommend the F150 also if Towing. The 3.8's are known for giving up around 70,000-80,000 miles but I've seen people have much better luck also.

Thanks for all the input. Seems like the vote if for the ford. May have to try to drop the pan and change the filter on the transmission as mentioned.

Either vehicle, I am really excited and ready to get started. I'll keep y'all posted as we get the ball rolling.