• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any machinist here???

jccarter1

I am new to machine work and starting to dabble with some lathe work I have a Morgon cbl-940 lathe it is 12x36 with a 6 inch chuck I am looking for a steady rest for this lathe to help work on longer items (driveshafts, theading link bars, etc.) the problem is in can't locate any places that sells steady rest beside ones for specific machines no luck finding one for this one, I have found lots of places that sell everything else just hoping someone can push me in the right direction.

Machine tooling is stupid expensive , search ebay or Craigslist for used stuff , a lot of shops scrap or part out old machines

by steady rest,.. im guessing you are talking about a live center that goes into your tailstock.,..
almost all of the tailstocks ive see are made to fit the machine. the tailstock center needs to center with your chuck.
if you have to you could always make some spacers to go on the gib clamps of a tailstock off of a different machine. and get it centered up to your chuck

No I am talking about a steady rest I have live and dead centers for the tail stock a steady rest helps support a item that is being turned far away from the chuck it acts like a center support

we have a bunch of lathes and tooling at work, most all of it was bought used.

Find some machine shops in your area and ask around, watch craigslist or other local boards

oh yea. sorry i had a brain fart. or still hungover from RBD,.. hahahaha

at work we have one that came with a machine and the other one we made ourselves. the main base is made to be tight in the gibs. and the bottom is pulled up and clamped with a bolt,.

has three adjusters and hinges open. we made the steady pads out of pieces of teflon stock. works good

if i remember ill get some pics tomorrow.

Yea that is what I was afraid of this machine was bought used and the price was good on it as far as finding anyone to sell me any of there stuff around here is kinda tough most machine shops tend to be very close door not really motivated to help a guy out that ain't giving them hundreds of dollars every hour