• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone ever seen an inner c bend like this? How does this happen?

pholmann

I'm trying to find an answer to how this happened. Anyone ever seen or done this? I see no scars on the c that leads me to believe any broken axle parts grabbed it and pulled it down. My only feasible option is to replace the c's now but more than that I'd like to make sense of this. Opinions and experiences please!

It's from downward pressure. Like cartwheeling or a really hard roll impact.
To really grasp at straws it can be from high speed front end launch then top of the tire hitting an undercut

That's my CSI observation

something similar happened to a guy in our group at GMP a few years back... broke shaft, got back to camp and found bent inner C... don't really know what caused it but it was a throttle fest weekend also..

None of this changes the outcome. It will have to be replaced with either another stock or beefier parts. I am going to go with beefier parts. I am just trying to make some sense of how the **** it happened. I have seen a broken axle take out the lower part of the c but not the upper.

I've had the same thing happen. Mine broke the ujoint or ears off the inner and outer shafts. Not sure if the joint went first or the ears. Really doesn't matter,but the inner shaft tried to climb over the outer shaft and had a ton of downward pressure. The inner shaft was actually stuck on top of the outer when I stopped.

Shock load from when the u-joint failed then the remaining piece's trying to occupy the same space. I ran yukon chromo stub and a
Inners but cheeped out on the u-joint and it broke the knuckle in half! Must have been a flaw in my knuckle, but still cost alot trying to save a little.

Looking at this from another angle....
Could maybe the top be fine and u bent the lower part of the C up??? Making the top lookout of place??? Hard to tell from single pic

And another thing
The king pin is cone shaped. Pressure would force it down. Say u dropped it out two story window. Only place to go providing the knuckle an tube hold up is down... That's the way the slight wedge would send. It. Again I'm reaching for straws here. But. I don't know how you wouldn't have bent tube before it done that :/

I've seen some mega trucks mount their coil overs directly on top of the king pins on tons an big boy axles. Their reasoning is "it takes pressure of King pins an some of knuckle as well.... To avoid this