• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone run this winch?

617_Racing said:
I'm running that exact winch. Only issue I have had is the wireless feature no longer works, it just clicks a solenoid.

But, with it plugged in it works great, it has never let me down.

Nothing to do with smittybuilt winches but, I hate the wireless winch feature, I bought one for my HF winch and the thing would just turn on by itself sometimes. Not sure if a garage door opener triggered it or what, good way too get a finger pinched or have something tear up on the rig. I kept it unplugged after that unless it was being used.

grcthird said:
Nothing to do with smittybuilt winches but, I hate the wireless winch feature, I bought one for my HF winch and the thing would just turn on by itself sometimes. Not sure if a garage door opener triggered it or what, good way too get a finger pinched or have something tear up on the rig. I kept it unplugged after that unless it was being used.

On the Smittybuilt you have to hit a button on the solenoid pack and click a button on the controller to activate the wireless. When it worked it was awesome, didn't have to fumble with the wire at all. I would only turn on the wireless switch on the solenoid when I needed it.

Re:

tonybolton said:
I run the first gen 8000 version of this. Its fast...unspools great and works everytime I need it.

The only issues I've had are the engage/disengage lever. Its become "notchy" and you gotta fiddle with it sometimes for a few seconds and/or knock the lever engaged with a tap of a rock or palm of your hand. Its no bother really.
35ebdaab86edb5343f83b724a44a2955.jpg

When you use it as much as you do, I can understand. ;)

Seriously though, it does work good. And after my last flop, looks like I'm gonna be getting one for mine.

Re: Re:

tonybolton said:
Its way overkill....but sometimes ya gotta help a 3 wheeled Rockwell rig up a steep hill. 8)

Keep in mind this is only an 8,000lb version. I've "double pulled" with an 8274 and had to wait on it a few times to catch up. :D

Completely offtopic, but have you had any problems with your suckdown set up? It looks like it runs to the axle at a pretty good angle, mine is about the same angle and I hadn't seen any running at that much angle.

FlatlandFSJ said:
Completely offtopic, but have you had any problems with your suckdown set up? It looks like it runs to the axle at a pretty good angle, mine is about the same angle and I hadn't seen any running at that much angle.

Used to be my old rig and it always worked fine for me other than it rubbing the front bumper which is why there is a piece of delrin bolted to it

Re:

Jesse's right....it did work for the near year I ran it that way. I've changed the bumper up a tad since then.

Was going to run the cable behind the bumper but never cut the new hole for it.

The last few months I had it like Jesse has it...I noticed a few strands broken in the cable. I run a synthetic rope now.

I mostly just trail ride crawl around on stuff....so honestly I never really needed to pull the front down to actually need it.

wimpykid said:
When you use it as much as you do, I can understand. ;)

Seriously though, it does work good. And after my last flop, looks like I'm gonna be getting one for mine.

I'm a firm believer in ya buy a winch for other people....not yourself. ;)

Hopefully I can keep true with that in 2016 as well. :)