• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beating a dead horse

Eddyj

I know this has been beat to death on the Internet, but I'm getting ready to tear apart my YJ I e been building for 8 years. I got my tube chassis ready for drivetrain. I'm happy with my power and trans I have a 205 with large front output. 14 in the rear LP Chevy 60 in front stock shafts spicer u joints and super winch lockouts 30 spline.
So the question is do I build the buggy around the one tons or go with rockwells?
I would like to hear from people who have had tons and moved up to rocks or back to one tons, I can read all day I want real south east experience.
I love the rigs CSC is putting out. Especially white trash buggy. I would love that but my budjet is about $2000 a year.
So buy $1200 rocks and add brakes and rims or spend the money on Yukon shafts joints and slugs and still need gears and have a low pinion.

u3evehez.jpg

enedatan.jpg

epavunuz.jpg

Last pic is on 39s
Couple shots of the old girl. She's a little clunky but I love her. Thinking about taking it out one last time this weekend if anyone is going riding around bham.

Its really personal preference. If you're on a tight budget, then the rocks are a good option, the weight is down low so they dont hurt that much. I have had both and i would rather have the rocks over tons, the cost to strength isnt even close. With an unlimited budget the dana 80s with 2" RCVs would be hard to beat, but even then you give up about 4-6" of ground clearance to the rocks so i would still go with rockwells with 2" RCVs. By the time you beef up the the ton housings they weigh about the same as a rock.
The biggest draw back to a rockwell is no gearing options.

.It all boils down to budgets, high dollar one tons are nice if you're loaded but if you want to ride hard and be able to load up at the end of the day you can't beat rocks.And with a 205 case you will definatly like the gearing in rockwells.

Yeah I've been thinking rocks are the way to go. I was more or less thinking someone would talk me out of it. How's rocks with a 205 I would think it would be just about perfect for 42's and mild v8

Going to stay with the stick just because its ready to go. I can always switch later but I've run autos in the past and prefer the man for reliability. I'm a big fan of simple and cheap. The ideal of full hydro steering has me nervous. But I'll get over it.

Hydraulic steering is comparable to your first BJ , hard to mess around with out it after that first time.

TBItoy said:
Actually, yes!

Somtimes it works good, sometimes it just sucks and doesn't realy get you anywhere!

In that case you need to try the "stranger", Sit on your hand till it goes numb then it will feel like someone else is doing it for ya!

ROCKWELLS GUYS! Gears, come on bring it back. Or I can change the title to something about jerking off, wait it kind of fits I guess I can leave it and maybe add 35%

Eddyj said:
Yeah I've been thinking rocks are the way to go. I was more or less thinking someone would talk me out of it. How's rocks with a 205 I would think it would be just about perfect for 42's and mild v8

you just said two things that don't go together: mild v8 and rockwells. every single rockwell rig i've seen in person has to beat the crap out of it to get up obstacles.

imo, if you're starting from scratch, build a 14 bolt front and throw a tried an true 14 in the rear and :driving:

I agree that some of the older rigs running rocks had problems, but it seems like a few of us have figured out how to keep them low as a one ton rig, and actually get the 4 link to work well. I have a built 4 cylinder jeep that does great but my rockwelled Buggie with rear steer is light years ahead of it in the trails and climbing also.I think it's more stable than anything I've built to date.

wizzo said:
you just said two things that don't go together: mild v8 and rockwells. every single rockwell rig i've seen in person has to beat the crap out of it to get up obstacles.

imo, if you're starting from scratch, build a 14 bolt front and throw a tried an true 14 in the rear and :driving:

I have always wondered why this is exactly? The upsprung weight or different link configurations. It always seem that the buggies with rockwells always seem to struggle more on obstacles than something with tons//14 bolts, even if they are built the same in other areas such as chassis, shocks, drivetrain and tires. It seams that the rockwell rigs are more "sluggish".

Not really starting from scratch. I'm using as much as I can off of my jeep and its got a 60 in front. I think the extra time to gather and build a "cheap" 14 bolt steer I could be done and riding. Plus if I was gonig tons I would prob just throw money at the 60. I want the rocks but if I used the tons I have every thing I need to start the buggy.

halcat said:
I'd like to see how long a 2 1/2 ton GI rig would last with a 14/60 combo.

GI vehicles have 2 1/2 ton axles for a reason, the are tough as hell and can handle the weight of the vehicle they are under.

my point is I've seen rockwells work and I've seen rockwells just plain not under rigs. the rigs I've seen them under that work are high HP rigs. so for eddyj to say a mild v8, I think maybe they are not the best choice for him. just my opinion.

eddyj - halcat has a rig with rockwells, his rig is probably one of the most low slung rigs I've seen with rockwells. but he has a very stout motor, I believe 750 plus and it strait up WORKS but if i'm not mistaken he's fix'n to have 2" overson shafts through out

I followed the CSC buggies around at witc on New Years and what I seen them do changed my mind on rockwells. Sure they didn't beat Wes up axle hill but they did everything they tried with no breakage. It seems to me the diff is the typical rockwell buggies don't seem to have as much planning as someone who has worked their way up to one tons from dana 35s or a toy that they been building for years.