• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Beating a dead horse

I've had one ton jeeps with big motors and they're quite snappy, but I wanted a rear steer rig with drive shafts out of the way. I have a lot of money in my axles, about $7,500.00 counting steering, $2000.00 for axes, $4000.00 for shafts and lockers, $1500.00 for steering. Add up what it would cost for any other axle that strong and it would be somewhat more I'm sure. I may have to give it a little more gas to climb some things, but for now, that's ok. I ran a 60/44 combo with a big block for years and all I ever broke was front hubs. If I were to build another rig, I would go light every where, axles, motor, and frame. That's the only kind of a rig I haven't had yet! So there.

That seems to be the normal progression. Start off with stock jeep or toy then keep upgrading until its too heavy then later in life figure out that good parts lightweight and well thought out design is really the best for the majority of us. Now if these damn rock bouncin super buggies would go away and stop making the rest of us want more.
Bottom line is I wanted a one ton jeep on 42s with a healthy 350 and I got it after trading building and trips to the junkyard. Now i want more. So I'm going to try and over build maybe ill be happy for a couple years. It just sucks to scrap a vehicle you've made over the better part of a decade. It looks great in the garage, it looks like crap in the background of a busted knuckle clip parked out of the way.