• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Birmingham People please chime in, good enough to move to?

If she is looking for simpler surroundings with decent school system and reasonably priced housing, tell her Chelsea is a good place to live. It is southeast of downtown Birmingham about 15 miles down hwy 280 and we have been here over 15 years and our son has gone K- 12th grade and we have been happy with his education and such. Small town politics and where everyone pretty much know each other type of environment exists here. It is also a place she can buy some property or live in a subdivision if she wants. :dblthumb:

I live east of downtown in Moody. This area is growing, very safe and we have some great neighbors. My shop is 18 miles from my house and it takes about 20 minutes to get there. Downtown is about 3 miles further. Traffic is never an issue on I-20 coming or going.

My family moved back here in 1969 and I can't think of any other place I would rather be.

I used to live in Moody. Great affordable place to live. However, if you have kids in school you can do much better. John is correct about Mountain Brook. If I had the money I would live there just so my kids would benefit from their schools. Vestavia and Homewood are also known to be great places to live due to their schools and convenience to downtown. I am currently in Oak Mountain/Inverness and have had a good experience with the schools so far and I am only 3 miles from work(I love it!). I'm not a fan of spending my life on the road and in traffic. I have an extra hour per day to spend with the wife/kids now. Worth it.

If I had a job in Hoover I would live as close as I could to that job and school without being on a main road while being in a good neighborhood. Without kids to consider my choices would be different.

truckbroke said:
I`m in south Georgia and when I go to Cullman I can`t do nothing but wish I lived there. Seems like a very white/nice place.

Cullman City School system was rated 3rd in the state. You got that right....its a great place to call home & raise kids. Of course, unless you have to live right next door to KMcminn...then the neighborhood goes to ****. :drinkers:

Alabaster, Pelham and Hoover are all still good. I know Alabaster is building a HUGE new school> the areas mentioned are still thriving. Obviously there are more prominent areas to live in, but they cost more.

lilbuggy said:
Helena is IMO the best 10min from Hoover and 10min from Pelham/Alabaster. They also have the newest schools in Shelby county and no Jefferson County taxes or sewer system crap. Check it out.

Jefferson county really pisses me off, I pay $150 a month for the damn sewer bill, literally pissing money away. Not to mention how much it sucks to get a vehicle tag. I-65 south of town sucks to drive anytime of day and a lot of time at night, so I would avoid it if possible. Shelby county would be the best for what she is looking for but is still going to be expensive, although probably not compared to Nashville.

Since she would work in an office building about 5 blocks away from the Galleria she would probably need to be somewhere on the south side. That sucks that traffic is that bad.

It doesn't look like there is much land available unless you go way out, and you can't go way out or you're stuck in traffic out there.

I`m look a few of these places up and see how close they are from the military bases. I`ve though about transferring myself. Cullman is where I was thinking but, I never knew about these other places ya`ll are talking about. I`m in Sylvester where I`ve grown up and its not to bad but, damn We are right next to Albany GA which is a ****in big ass slum over taken by primates.

customcj7 said:
Since she would work in an office building about 5 blocks away from the Galleria she would probably need to be somewhere on the south side. That sucks that traffic is that bad.

It doesn't look like there is much land available unless you go way out, and you can't go way out or you're stuck in traffic out there.

There is a few developments in Helena selling 5+ acre lots for a few estate and gated communities next to the Cahaba River. There not much farther out than my house and I've got 52 acres. 2 acres in the city for access to city water and 50 in the county so no crab about discharging a firearm in city limits. There is also a newer development connecting Helena and Hoover via a neighborhood called River Woods or Russet Woods or both I believe. IDK how long before full completion but is any neighborhood ever fully completed in the allotted time frame.