• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

BMW???

WTH

I think I remember seeing in a thread here a few years ago that some of you guys own/owned one before. I am considering a 5 series in the 2008-2012 range. Good/bad? I might consider the right 3 series but prefer the little bigger 5.

Re:

Great car(s)...great driving exoerience....nightmare maintenance after 80k miles.

The 3 and 5 series pretty similar. N54 and n55 motors are amazing....but they like to eat coil packs when you crank them up.

Serp belt can shred due to weak motor mounts/contacts subframe and get sucked into crank seal and cause it to jump time. Also the stock turbos wastegate actuators hour out around 100k and rattle/leak boost.

I rank my BMW owning experience to something like a boat. It is absolutely great when you're using it but when it breaks ...start throwing money at it.

If I ever own another....ot will be under warranty. <50k miles

After I got my 08 335i sorted out with very minimal mods and a tuner it put down 428 wheel horsepower and 411 tq.

Got 23mpg....quiet....such a sleeper.

I probably would've hung on to it had I not picked up a motorcycle. I bought the 335i initially for the hardtop convertible. I never knew you could make good hp with them.

ecc2f7e12f7e77772f9330fb805217f0.jpg

Re:

tonybolton said:
Great car(s)...great driving exoerience....nightmare maintenance after 80k miles.

I rank my BMW owning experience to something like a boat. It is absolutely great when you're using it but when it breaks ...start throwing money at it.

If I ever own another....ot will be under warranty. <50k miles

Jeez, I guess that is why the price on some of them seem pretty good. Sucker you in with a decent price knowing you will be coming back soon for repairs? lol

I think the non turbo motors are ok....dont hear hardly any horror stories.

I was reeeeeal close to trading the 335i in for a convertible 6 series with the 550hp v10.

My thoughts were that it being non turbo would be less problematic. I was told by my local European auto mechanic that I should run away like I was on fire from that V10 motor.

Go figure...

Endless money on tap....i would love a new hardtop convertible 435i xdrive(awd). Perfect daily driver.....for me.

Till then I'll stick with doin hood rat **** in my mustang 8) :p

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

My BMW's have been older... a 2001 330 vert and currently have a ,95 325 vert... both have great... very reliable and easy to work on once you realize it's not american and you have to learn a few new tricks

E60 M5. I will forever stand behind it. One of the best cars ever made. Do yourself a favor and buy one. Can't vouch for the standard 5 series though. On the m5, don't be hard headed and get a six speed manual. The smg is perfectly matched/tuned to the 507hp engine and you're really missing out thinking you can outperform it.

I've owned a few, but I dig the older ones most. Highlights were a 66 2002, couple '79 5 series, a 79 3 series (my favorite), a couple 94 and 92 3-series, and a few 90s 5 series bought to flip. One of my top 5 dream cars that has eluded me is a late 90s 740IL.

This was a major derail and I apologize, but I can't help it when someone starts talking BMWs.

I've had a few. My 86 e28 was by far my favorite car I've ever owned. I've had a few 01 330's and a z3. All were great cars, and easy to Work on. Vanos had to changed on the 330's. My buddy had done so many, he had it down to a 45 minute job, so I never had to do one.

I'm a former BMW dealer tech. I'd stay away from anything newer than an E46 or E39 unless it was under warranty. They can get really expensive, really quick if things go wrong. I've written tickets in the $14,000 range for problems that didn't involve replacing an engine, transmission, or rear end. Sometimes its stupid expensive to fix these. If you must go newer, try to get a CPO car if the warranty is still to 100K. That said, we own three BMW's but they are all 2001 and older. The 04 down 6 cylinders are fantastic motors.

I remember being quoted $1300 for an alternator replacement :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I found an A.C. Delco in it for 250 and did it myself.

I found out why the labor was so intense was because you have to remove the entire intake manifold to pull the alternator out.

You had to remove it because there was one plastic nub that was useless on the manifold that prevented the alternator from physically coming out from under the hood.

And everyone here knows that I just hacked saw that nub off and called it a day pulled it right out. 8) :p

muddinmetal said:
I think they and the people that own them are gay, but I am a sucker for a good deal... get it, sucker :eek:
Cause 20 bucks is 20 bucks :dunno: