• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage Material

Neal3000

so i'm getting ready to build a cage, bumpers and sliders/treebars for my dad's Rzr 800s. What size tubing are most folks using for your custom rzr cages? 1.5 x .120 wall dom is what i was thinking but am a little worried that it may be too heavy?

I use 1.75" .120 HREW for most all my stuff. Roughly 2lbs/ft....1.5" is about 1.5lb./ft.

All that....You're prolly gonna use about 100'.

B.DRAKE said:
That's what mine is as well! A stock cage is 1.75 but bout as strong as a tin can!

Yeah i figured that out quick when i welded harness tabs to his cage, burned through it like fawkng paper at first

I do .095 erw on bumpers, most spreaders, and x braces. I use 1.75 on all structural members. I go the other way, and put .120 wall DOM on the ABC bar and B pillar. Also normally do the B pillar and spreader in it. Everything else is .095 erw or 1.5" .095 erw on roof x braces and behind the head x braces.
No doubt in my mind you could do .095 wall DOM 1020 or higher on 100% of it and be fine, I just like paying $1/ft for everything but the outer rail members. I prefer it there for dent resistance more than anything, we are flipping all the F'in time.

is erw the same as hrew? to me 1.75 seems like overkill on these. i'm leaning towards 1.5 .120 wall dom on the outer rails of the cage and then .095 hrew 1.5 on everything else

Copperhead, that cage in the first pic you posted looks killer, do you have a pic of the back of it?

Any of you ever weighed your rzr after cage, bumpers and so on. On my XP 900 the cage was 1.75" .120 DOM and I could tell a big difference in how the rzr felt after the cage was added.

Cole said:
Any of you ever weighed your rzr after cage, bumpers and so on. On my XP 900 the cage was 1.75" .120 DOM and I could tell a big difference in how the rzr felt after the cage was added.

Never weighed it but yes I noticed a little difference in mine as well, but I would figure it would prolly be about 200 lbs extra roughly? :dunno:

Draco, how are you mounting the bottom front plate on your rzr cages?

MInes all 1.75" .095 DOM except the v brace and a few other little things that are 1.5" electric weld.. Mine weighs roughly 150lbs guessing by how I can pick it up and move it around when its off

Mines 1.75" .120 wall and yea you can tell a difference in how it handles. Next time I'll probly do .090 to save a lil weight. With as much tubin as rocfun used on my cage .090 would be plenty strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD said:
Draco, how are you mounting the bottom front plate on your rzr cages?

I took flat plate and drilled some holes to mount under diff and let the plate hang out from under the front of the rzr just enough to split a piece of HREW at the seam, beat it on to the plate, then welded it back up.

Neal3000 said:
is erw the same as hrew? to me 1.75 seems like overkill on these. i'm leaning towards 1.5 .120 wall dom on the outer rails of the cage and then .095 hrew 1.5 on everything else

Copperhead, that cage in the first pic you posted looks killer, do you have a pic of the back of it?
20131214_152106_zps863e851e.jpg

20131214_152100_zps2e5ec7f3.jpg