• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap 14bolt steer axle

My buggy and the Shoot To Thrill buggy both run Jana 76 fronts with load bolts and Spicer gears. The load bolt makes a huge difference and I think the Spicer gears are better than the aftermarket ones that are forged overseas. We have broken axles, drive shafts, and other things but not the J76. I would have went with a 14 bolt after I broke the D60 ring and pinion on the first ride but the 14 bolt offset pinion location when using it as a passenger drop made a huge packaging issue for me.

Thanks for the recommendation but we never went through with the 35 spline spools. Only 40 spline for now. In theory it was a good idea but the feedback I received was that due to the offset of the 14 bolt chunk it was a PIA to try and get stock 35 spline 60 inners to work. If someone knows differently let me know but I never got much interest. It wouldn't be a big deal to do a run of 5 or so next time I machine a load of 40 spline if there was enough interest.

im still leaning towards the 14bolt , he put a new set of gears back in the lp60 for now but thatll go again, the rig has a 2 piece front drive shaft and i think i can get away with the offset off the 14b but its all kinda speculation till i get his buggy back in my shop with a 14b laying next to it and start measuring everything, its a winter project along with a new set of heads and freshing the motor up, few other odds and ends, ill post up when i decide what route im going and ill make a build thread on the axle if i do build it, im sure alot of people are curious if and how it works out