• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins Exhaust

patooyee

2005 5.9 2500. No plans to boost power. Found some small rust holes in the exhaust, nothing that can't be repaired. But maybe use it as an excuse to upgrade? What is out there, can more power be realized just from exhaust? I prefer the truck not be any louder than it is. If I could make it quieter that would even be nice.

I put a 4" MagnaFlow turbo back on my 05. No power increase that I could feel. I like the sound. It's not loud, but certainly not any quieter than stock.

Re: Re: Cummins Exhaust

85toyo said:
I don't think you will get a cummins any quiter than stock. Just sayin
Probably so. But they put men on the moon so I figured it would at least help me make my point. Yet Cummins have only got more quiet since my truck and more powerful.

Search the cummins forum for the Donadlson part numbers; there are two that fit...mine is '07 5.9

reasonable price as they are truck mufflers

ecoast said:
Search the cummins forum for the Donadlson part numbers; there are two that fit...mine is '07 5.9

reasonable price as they are truck mufflers

I was going to ask about those ...

Re:

I use to have the Donaldson part number, I'll check when I get home. But you could call truck pro, and ask about a standard replacment muffler with 4" in/out. I belive they are 34-36" long

Donaldson M085171 = 4 in, 4 out, 40" long, 8.5" dia.

My main question was how quiet it really is? It seems quiet is a relative term. When I say I want "quiet" I mean that I want stock or more quiet. When most people on the net say "quiet" they mean moderately louder than stock.

Most of the noise from my truck is from under the hood, not out the exhaust. It's funny how my truck seemed super quiet when I bought it (compared to the previous generation) but compared to the new trucks it is crazy loud. I don't mind. At least I can still tell I'm driving a diesel

They're definitely noisy trucks, I wouldn't have it any other way. I think diesels of today sound ghey. And I have a buddy who has his straight-piped with stacks and it sounds awesome. But I use this truck almost exclusively for long road trips and after I get out and get back into my 2012 company gasser I realize how dang traumatized my hearing is. :) I would not want it much louder. Right now the drone is perfect, puts my daughter to sleep within an hour every time.

Does the stock cat do anything to quiet it down? All of my cancer is right around the muffler. I was thinking of just replacing that section with a straight pipe to experience how bad it can get and then going from there. Listening to pure straight piped rigs on Youtube sounds like absolute **** to me though. If the having the cat there does nothing then I won't even bother.

Re:

The cat does muffle, I experiment ed with mine one weekend. In the past I just installed whole new exhaust systems. But since iv aged a Lil I down give two shits on loud or flashy tailpipe tips.

Front my experiance the muffler controlled cruising drone and idle noise. The cat removale did increase my overall exhaust noise but not much. It was slightly louder then stock with a Lil rasp

If youre not going to boost power stock is all you need. Actually know of one guy making over 700hp through stock exhaust.

Removing the cat and leaving the muffler in my experience doesnt increase volume much if any but it does change the sound a bit.

However if you remove the muffler and leave the cat is definitely is quieter than a true straight pipe.

Like others have mentioned most of your noise (with a muffler and exhaust in tact) is under the hood.

My .02 is fix what you have or replace it with a donaldson or whatever universal muffler you like and remove the cat while you are there. You likely wont feel any difference but it will help lower EGTs a little and you will no longer have to worry about the cat clogging up at the most inopportune time.

I deleted the muffler today, kept the cat.

I love the new sound. Its really not any louder in the cab. Its a different, lower tone but I wouldn't say any louder inside. The muffler does almost nothing in terms of quieting the truck down it turns out. Now the truck just sounds "throatier."

It turns out that I'm really glad I kept the cat. After I finished the muffler job my buddy Barton (screen name The-Boss) called and asked me what I did. I knew he had a truck like mine but hadn't ever thought about what he had in terms of exhaust. Turns out he is straight pipe all the way so I went over to his house to give it a listen. He agrees, that **** is obnoxious. He got the truck that way and he plans to put a Donaldson muffler on it to quiet it down. I definitely would not have enjoyed that on my truck. I would say the cat is doing 75% of the "muffling" in stock form.

I'm going to drive the truck for the next few days, see if it starts to get on my nerves. So far super-pleased though.

Any time you guys want to make a sound like no other, I have ran this on both power stroke and cummins, run a donelson muffler. Five inch inlet and outlet. Like goes up the cab of a peter built. It will fit under your dodge. Drive a three inch pipe down the center and open up the fingers a little. Or a two inch depends on the tone you want. $60.00. Put a 90deg bend and turn it out in front of the right rear tire. $150.00 complete for a 5" exhaust. Super quite. All you here is the turbo. When you fire this bad boy up cold and the turbo closes to warm up the engine, sounds like a jet taking off. When you hit the engine brake, everybody thinks a semi is coming. No drone just right. My .02

halcat said:
Drive a three inch pipe down the center and open up the fingers a little. Or a two inch depends on the tone you want.

I'm not understanding this part ...

Re: Re: Cummins Exhaust

patooyee said:
I'm not understanding this part ...
Bending the internal baffles in the muffler. It's a "straight through" muffler with finger/cup baffles.

My MBRP muffler was built the same.

I read about the sound difference in installing the muffler with the baffles facing forward or rearward.