• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel vs Gas

NotMatt said:
I bet it gets like negative 2 miles to the gallon too. :redneck:
So, for every gallon of gas you burn, you get 2 miles farther from your destination? Man! That sucks!! :redneck:

Yeah I want that truck. I bet it could go back in time. If I could go back in time, I could afford to buy any truck I wanted :D

roccrawler said:
I get 11 towing 7000lbs with my 98 5.9

I can do better than that towing 7500lbs and a 11.5' camper in the bed (GCVW 20K) going over the legal posted limit of speed.:flipoff:

And Blow REALLY BLACK smoke! :kiss:

Fullywrecked said:
I can do better than that towing 7500lbs and a 11.5' camper in the bed (GCVW 20K) going over the legal posted limit of speed.:flipoff:

no you can't, you're bone stock, you can't blow nothin :flipoff:

Fullywrecked said:

you cant do that....but i can :cool:

leadfoot067 said:
you cant do that....but i can :cool:

I blew a puff of black tonight.:flipoff:

And for you guys that think a stock diesel sucks if you don't mod it........you better go drive a new cummins (cause it will pass you on a hill).:kissmyass:

KarlVP said:
Okay, now buy a Ram with the 4.7L and get 12 to 15MPG TOWING.
No way. My friend has a 4.7 DAKOTA quad cab and flat towing his BII it gets 12mpg tops. Add on 1,000 bls of Ram and you might be in the single digits..

PORTER said:
Not any better at making Torque, MPG, long lasting engine.etc. Just cheap fuel.

Cheaper to maintain and last I checked, my Jeep was over 200,000 miles. Wish I hadn't given up bringing my 5 ton down when I moved here. (they had no prob allowing me to bring a 40 foot diesel bus down though)

junkyard jim said:
Cheaper to maintain and last I checked, my Jeep was over 200,000 miles. Wish I hadn't given up bringing my 5 ton down when I moved here. (they had no prob allowing me to bring a 40 foot diesel bus down though)
The cheaper to maintain thing doesnt work anymore, as on the Cummins,Powerstroke,Duramax rigs all you have to do is change the oil. And as far as 200,000 a gasser is worn out as the diesel is just broke in. There really is no comparing the two anymore, as you are just polishing a turd if you are trying to make a gasser compete with todays diesels. Now the diesels of yesteryear(6.9,6.2,7.3 in the pre 95,ect) its a different story as they were high maintenence, unreliable, NO POWER, and just plain Turds. Alot of people remember those bad years, But like I said those days are done and gone.:corn:

OK. . .well, I sometimes tow with a WJ with a 4.7. It gets 13 mpg at 63 mph towing my CJ w/camping gear/tools, will pull the pass at 60 mph while towing and is super comfy to drive to gymnastics and football practice.

I'm looking for a diesel truck this winter. Y 4? Well, to me, anything smaller than a 3/4 ton truck feels too mushy with a big load behind it. I'm not going to run away from anyone, but I can set the cruise at 70 and hold right there on the freeway, but it sometimes feels like the tail wants to wag the dog. Same deal with 1/2 tons I have driven.

I often tow with a '96 454 GMC 3/4 ton and it tows perfectly, but it gets between 6 and 9 mpg at 65-70 mph. No thanks, that sux ASS. So, I'm going to get into a late 90s Diesel. I know that there is a big Ford/Dodge rivalry over those years and I'm not sure who to believe, but come spring, I'll be smokin'.

PORTER said:
The cheaper to maintain thing doesnt work anymore, as on the Cummins,Powerstroke,Duramax rigs all you have to do is change the oil. And as far as 200,000 a gasser is worn out as the diesel is just broke in. There really is no comparing the two anymore, as you are just polishing a turd if you are trying to make a gasser compete with todays diesels. Now the diesels of yesteryear(6.9,6.2,7.3 in the pre 95,ect) its a different story as they were high maintenence, unreliable, NO POWER, and just plain Turds. Alot of people remember those bad years, But like I said those days are done and gone.:corn:

Just wait till things start breaking. I get customers all the time looking for new engines at the 200,000 mile mark. If mine dies, another $1500 and I'm gold for another 200,000 (if the body lasts that long)

junkyard jim said:
Just wait till things start breaking. I get customers all the time looking for new engines at the 200,000 mile mark. If mine dies, another $1500 and I'm gold for another 200,000 (if the body lasts that long)
Ahhh Jim, someday you will check into the year 2000. Like i said, all the newer diesels will hit 400,000 miles pretty easy. And I have seen ALOT of Cummins 5.9s with well over 500,000 miles. AND, I would be willing to bet the people you are talking about needing new engines at 200,000 miles were all the old school diesels which like I said were piles of worthless garbage. In the end you get what you pay for.

Just great. NOW I find out my 1997 Dodge has only 17,000 more miles until the Cummins B motor blows up and needs to be replaced. Damn it. :booo:

So I suppose I am on borrowed time in my 94 with 280K on it?:stirpot: 200k may be worn out in a v8 diesel but not on an inline 6.:haha: Hey junkyard, I will bet your 200k worn out gas motor won't pull weight like my 280k diesel will.:flipoff:

Boomer said:
Just great. NOW I find out my 1997 Dodge has only 17,000 more miles until the Cummins B motor blows up and needs to be replaced. Damn it. :booo:
Truth sucks don't it.. Might as well go get a chevy half ton. :redneck:

Here is a spreadsheet I made up to help me make the decision. If your hanging onto a rig for a long time (5+ years) OR putting ALOT of miles on it per year than the diesel will pan out for you. Keep in mind that the chassis starts to get pretty rag'd out past 250K (unless your meticulous). So a motor that goes 500K is not of much use unless you like driving chitty chitty bang bang. I personaly chose the V-10. It will last as long as I own the truck, the milage (comparing Ford to Ford here, I bleed Hemi orange but Dodge wasnt there soon enough) between the two was insignificant. So far towing my 25' enclosed trailer (limited experiance so far no big hills yet) I get 10 MPG. I got 9.9 MPG going to Tillamook with the Jeep on the back at 70+ and a BUTT LOAD of gear (wood, camping supplies, three freaking kids and wife worth of stuff!). Plus the Excursion is as close to a school bus as I could get without driving a school bus. :rolleyes: Now, when this rig is done I may find me an 05 diesel Excursion as that one will have to last me a long time as they dont make them anymore.

Hmm,, it wont let me upload the file so email me if you want it. It allows you to plug in all the factors of the purchase so its pretty accurate as to the PAY OFF of owning the diesel, or not.

Latest posts