• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

digital dash displays

onetoncrawler

basically, I want to know if you could buy a cheap tablet and a bluetooth OBII scanner and get the basics from an LS engine? oil pressure, coolant temp, RPM and volts? I know there are app's out there like Torque Pro, but I don't know what kind of data you can pull from the LS ECU? I don't need the data logger or anything fancy. just looking for a cool way to display the vitals and be able to take the screen out for washing.

I'm wanting to do something different on a new build but I can't find much info on running a digital tablet style display without using aftermarket injection. Has anyone used anything besides the standard Racepack?

this would be ideal but I don't want to pay $2,500! http://www.autometer.com/lcd.html. I like the Holley display, but I don't think it will work with a standard LS computer

Thanks!

In short, Yes.

I used TorquePro for auxiliary gauges on my Duramax (mainly to monitor fuel rail pressure), with a $12 ebay ELM312 scanner. Plus that is the only code reader I've used for years.

You can read all the data that a racepak can, basically anything that inputs to the ecu.

But there are some idiosyncrasies related to using the Bluetooth & tablet, like powering it, having to reconnect, etc.

For something super simple, I'd probably just get a ScanGaugeII. $125 on amazon, plugs straight into (&powered by) the OBD2 port,
https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

It doesn't "look" as nice as a tablet gauge setup, but I think it would be more reliable/less aggravating.

Here is a list of what it will read from any OBD2 vehicle (note that some are calculated)

Digital Gauge
Name
CLSD LP
OPEN LP
Fuel System Loop Status
MAP
BST
Manifold Absolute Pressure
Boost
MPG
MPH-KPH-Miles Per Hour-Kilometers Per Hour
RPM-Revolutions Per Minute
TPS-Throttle Position Sensor
FWT -CWT-Water Temperature
AVG-Average Fuel Economy
TFC-Trip Fuel Cost
CPM-Cost Per Mile
VLT-Battery Voltage
FIA -CIA-Intake Air Temperature
FPR-Fuel Pressure
GPH -LPH-Gallons Per Hour-Liters Per Hour
IGN-Ignition Timing
LOD-Engine Loading
HPR-Horsepower

thanks, that's what I'm seeing with most applications. No oil pressure reading. I think you can get a low oil pressure indicator light and then change the parameters for when that comes on, but no gauge?

TBItoy said:
In short, Yes.

onetoncrawler said:
thanks, that's what I'm seeing with most applications. No oil pressure reading. I think you can get a low oil pressure indicator light and then change the parameters for when that comes on, but no gauge?

I *think the torque pro app has the oil pressure PID for LS engines.

TBItoy said:
I *think the torque pro app has the oil pressure PID for LS engines.

seen that on a couple of forums but nothing to confirm it. If it does then I'm set. I've read a couple of different ways to power the tablet and autostart the app :dblthumb:

onetoncrawler said:
seen that on a couple of forums but nothing to confirm it. If it does then I'm set. I've read a couple of different ways to power the tablet and autostart the app :dblthumb:

It had oil pressure on the Duramax.

I looked at Scangauge's site, they don't list Oil Pressure on their "X-gauge" section for GM gas vehicles, not sure about Torque.

Do ya really Need oil pressure? laughing1

TBItoy said:
It had oil pressure on the Duramax.

I looked at Scangauge's site, they don't list Oil Pressure on their "X-gauge" section for GM gas vehicles, not sure about Torque.

Do ya really Need oil pressure? laughing1

Not really, if you lose it then you already have a problem right lol

Re:

Edge has one that will plug into the obd2 port. It can store tunes on it as well and log.

This is one:http://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cts2-84130/

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

redneckengineered said:

thanks for that thread, i ended up ordering the scan tool that Patoyee recommended. we will see how it works. I am still trying to decide which tablet to get. was leaning towards a small one but then again I want one that I can do split screen on, have the gauges on one side and the carto tracks map on the other if possible. still haven't gotten there yet

I know that Holley has their own digital gauge package, and it looks like Eldebrock has an Android app for hte PF4... Also know that many are running LS or OBD2 engines...

Has anyone been able to use Torque or another app on a tablet for gauges, when using an aftermarket EFI system? Planning to swap from propane to EFI, but would really like to have gauges/diagnostics on the tablet that will be there for maps/tunes/etc.

I know that Holley has their own digital gauge package, and it looks like Eldebrock has an Android app for hte PF4... Also know that many are running LS or OBD2 engines...

Has anyone been able to use Torque or another app on a tablet for gauges, when using an aftermarket EFI system? Planning to swap from propane to EFI, but would really like to have gauges/diagnostics on the tablet that will be there for maps/tunes/etc.

What engine and EFI system? That will help determine options.

Does Torque still have Doug's axles? :oops:

I know, I know, wrong Torq. :LOL: