• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Easter ride - bingham and coalmine etc...

muddinmetal

Guntersville, AL
More of a trail ride/event, but I thought more people may see it here...

From Rocket City Rock Crawlers:

"I received a phone call this AM from the Jackson County Sheriff, Chuck Phillips. His office can be reached at 256-574-2610. In his words, the Easter ride is "cancelled". The Jackson County Sheriff's department is cooperating with the Madison County Sheriff to attempt to ticket everyone who is trespassing this weekend. They plan to guard the entrances and have staff at the powerlines area and encourage everyone to leave peacefully and ticket/charge anyone who refuses to cooperate.

He stated that this event has resulted in death of a child, a shooting and multiple injuries in the past. The landowners want it over, done and want everyone charged with trespassing who is participating in the event.

Do not shoot the messenger! I did not call or contact the Sheriff, and honestly I don't know how he got my personal cell phone number, but he did....Sheriffs are able to do that sort thing I guess. He asked me to get the word out to avoid everyone showing up and being turned away. They are going to suggest that everyone wanting to ride needs to go to Hale Mountain instead."

muddinmetal said:
From Rocket City Rock Crawlers:

"I received a phone call this AM from the Jackson County Sheriff, Chuck Phillips. His office can be reached at 256-574-2610. In his words, the Easter ride is "cancelled". The Jackson County Sheriff's department is cooperating with the Madison County Sheriff to attempt to ticket everyone who is trespassing this weekend. They plan to guard the entrances and have staff at the powerlines area and encourage everyone to leave peacefully and ticket/charge anyone who refuses to cooperate.

He stated that this event has resulted in death of a child, a shooting and multiple injuries in the past. The landowners want it over, done and want everyone charged with trespassing who is participating in the event.

Do not shoot the messenger! I did not call or contact the Sheriff, and honestly I don't know how he got my personal cell phone number, but he did....Sheriffs are able to do that sort thing I guess. He asked me to get the word out to avoid everyone showing up and being turned away. They are going to suggest that everyone wanting to ride needs to go to Hale Mountain instead."

This news doesn't surprise me at all.

Re: Re: Re: Easter ride - bingham and coalmine etc...

xjkrawler said:
no went to golden mtn last weekend to play with a buddys new rig and broke mine.... i know there will be several headed up there though.

Ok, I have talked to 1 or 2 that will be there.

So what is the deal? Are people wheeling on not-so-public land? We hear people all the time, "We went wheelin' behind the Kohls!" and wonder why they get run off. If my presumption is wrong and it's 'wheel-able, I'd tell the popo to kiss my cracker ass.

Re: Re: Re: Easter ride - bingham and coalmine etc...

5BrothersFabrication said:
So what is the deal? Are people wheeling on not-so-public land? We hear people all the time, "We went wheelin' behind the Kohls!" and wonder why they get run off. If my presumption is wrong and it's 'wheel-able, I'd tell the popo to kiss my cracker ass.

Sounds like a lot of the land around here, mountain land with old roads all over it. Used to be owned by timber companies, mining companies, or people that have been dead for years and the land is tied up in heirship/probate.

People ride it in small groups when it's not hunting season and nothing is said, but if a group goes up there and raises hell during deer season, the lease holders and landowners will have a fit.

If you own a land locked parcel, then you have full access to pretty much any road on the mountain...

Long story short there are several trails/ roads to access various property's on 2 different mountains. It's all private property with hunting cabins and such scattered through out. Everybody's mommas cousins brother has heard of "coal mine mountain" around here. So lots of locals know the place. Lots of mud holes several trails with rocks etc. Big power line area with lots if rock walls. Pretty fun place to go play.

All the locals have been having an Easter ride up there for the past 10-15 years. It's grown to attract thousands here lately. When you mix that many crazy drunk rednecks on various prices of private property that no one really had permission to ride on you get a few upset land owners.

There was a kid that got killed up there 2 Easter rides ago as well as thefts and such. So now some of the land owners have had enough of the trash and thefts and liability a they are gonna have sheriffs at every entrance handing out situations for trespassing. Should be interesting..., went as far as getting the local news station involved.

Picture this place like a mini Aetna.... Lots of stolen vehicles have ventured into bottomless mud holes and left for dead.

I've been talking to hale mtn and they are expecting a good bit if this crowd over there....

Come support the local park (not sure how much longer it will be around)........

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Never miss a Easter run on coal mine. I live in new market so we go up there a lot. But we are headin to hale this Saturday. Great park and no popos
We have also done the Easter run for many years, but our group is headed to Hale on Saturday. Rather spend the day riding than dealing with the local law and low turn out.

I will likely swing by Bingham on the way home to see what the final arrest tally was. :eek:

NIB

xjkrawler said:
I've been talking to hale mtn and they are expecting a good bit if this crowd over there....

Come support the local park (not sure how much longer it will be around)........
What makes you say that? Just not enough of a crowd to keep it open?