• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ECORS Racing ?'s

jcorlew24

Looks like I will be trying my hand at racing in the 2013 season. I am getting ready to purchase a race suit, helmet, and other accessories. As far as racing suits go should I get one piece or two, single layer or dual layer, what is the preferred brand, and where is the best place to buy? For a helmet should I go with full face cover, open face, and do I need a fresh air port? Who has the best prices for helmets? Do I need the underwear, boots and gloves? Any advice would be greatly appreciated since this is all new to me.

I'm using an RCI 2 piece suit from back in my dirt track racing days. Still looks NIB! The helmet is a Bell, neck collar is RCI, gloves are Mechanix, underwear is Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs. :flipoff1:

And DC Ken Block's to mash the skinny pedal! :driving:

5BrothersFabrication said:
I'm using an RCI 2 piece suit from back in my dirt track racing days. Still looks NIB! The helmet is a Bell, neck collar is RCI, gloves are Mechanix, underwear is Fruit of the Loom boxer briefs. :flipoff1:

And DC Ken Block's to mash the skinny pedal! :driving:

Sounds like the requirements aren't too strict.

My friend and I raced last season at durhamtown and had a blast! I bougt a single layer, one piece black CROW firesuit and neck brace for I think $160 brand new. Very comfortable. I wore my DOT approved ex motocross helmet (full face) and goggles with mechanix gloves and some boots. Worked perfect. 3 things, get tearoffs for your goggles and a dust mask or get out in front! Also, zip tie a camelbak in the rig with the straw hanging down above your head. Also, our harnesses loosened up alot and I was constantly adjusting them during the race. We ran mastercraft brand, Ive heard crow is better at this. Lastly, have fun and run your OWN race regardless of what the other competitors are doing. Take your time in the technical sections and haul ass in the straight aways. Watch those trees, they reach out and grab your tires I swear. Going hard the whole time will only take you out, this is after all endurance racing. I was watching guys drop out left and right!!! I was co-dawg and my buddy Mike Alexander was the driver/owner. We finished 3rd place and this was our first ever race. Just my .02 but hope some of the experience helps. Have fun thumb.gif

PS- before you race, put all your gear on and practice getting in and out of your rig and buckling your harnesses with all that **** on in hurry, its harder than you think. We lost our exhaust and it was being dragged by the 02 sensor and had to get out and take care of it all while being passed

The requirements arent that strict,

Your personal comfort level, safety preference, and budget pretty much dictate your safety gear.

I went to Full Throttle Racing in Nashville (dirt track shop) and tried on fire suits. I got a 2 piece single layer cheapy G-Force suit, and they hooked us up with some new but out-of-date neck braces. I wear regular cotton socks, leather hiking boots, cotton T shirt, and cotton boxers under it (stay away from non-fire resistant synthetics like Underarmor because it will melt to you in a fire even under the fire suit)

I wore a standared MX style helmet with goggles (tear offs are a MUST), on some of the really dusty sections it would have been nice to have a full face with pumpers and filtered air.
If you get a full face, go ahead and get one setup for an air pumper, because you will want one.

Also wore armored knuckle MX gloves. I caught some roost from time to time and was glad to have them. You don't want a rock breaking your finger during a race.

That said, of course a one piece double layer suit, full Nomex underwear, glove liners, socks, shoes, full face helmet, HANS device, etc etc... You can literally spend as much on safety as you want.

I'm realistic in that with my current setup, if I crashed and caught on fire, I'd probably die, but since my race truck had a 100% stock floor, fuel system, bed, gas tank, etc. I figured I was at less risk than driving on the highway in a stock truck...

1 piece, double layered (if you run a ultra 4 race, 1 piece is required)
full face, fresh air if you can swing it :tc
100% cotton underneath

when you figure out the on the cheap place to get em let me know!

jcorlew24 said:
Looks like I will be trying my hand at racing in the 2013 season. I am getting ready to purchase a race suit, helmet, and other accessories. As far as racing suits go should I get one piece or two, single layer or dual layer, what is the preferred brand, and where is the best place to buy? For a helmet should I go with full face cover, open face, and do I need a fresh air port? Who has the best prices for helmets? Do I need the underwear, boots and gloves? Any advice would be greatly appreciated since this is all new to me.

The full circle brace was nice.

Dont forget about water. TBItoy and I mounted camelbak systems in the cab so that we could have water during the races. In the heat of the summer wearing fire suits and helmets you get thirsty quick and often! Its something to consider when looking at helmets. It was kind of a pain to get a water bottle under a MX helmet on the first race.

Full face helmet without a doubt. If you can swing the cost on a carbon fiber do it. The carbon fiber weighs much less and gives you less neck fatigue, this is from experience. I have worn 2 piece and 1 piece and prefer the 1 piece suits. Be careful to not wear t shirts underneath with anything on them because in the event of a fire they will melt to you. I always wore just my boxers. As far as foot protection, the floors can get very hot so a nice pair of fire shoes are a good investment and will not break the bank.

I bought firesuits, gloves, and shoes from Speedway Motors. Check around on helmets, my last carbon fiber helmet came from Super Duty Headquarters. It is a Pyrotech brand, and as I said it gives much less neck fatigue over a standard helmet.