• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Engine swap laws in Hamilton county TN

Bebop

Hi guys,

Being pretty new around here, I'm wondering what are the engine swap laws in TN ? And I'd appreciate any info specific to Hamilton County where I live (Chattanooga) as they perform emission testing.

I want to get a small project (think LS swap), but would like to be able to keep that vehicle on the road.

Is it possible to convert a vehicle from Diesel to Gas (or vice-versa ?)

Thanks

Not 100 percent sure on Tennessee, but pretty much anywhere Emi testing is done engine has to be at least one year newer model than the vehicle its going in. Also, must have all the emissions equipment for the engine that is being swapped in. Document everything as the Emission Nazis are assholes about modifications like this. Good Luck.

One good thing about the awesome Maury county I live in they have not started doing emissions yet. Here you just pretty much run what you got!! :driving:

Re:

Here in Alabama, you good take a brand new vehicle and put a lawn mower engine in it! Hope it stays that way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

zukimaster said:
Here in Alabama, you good take a brand new vehicle and put a lawn mower engine in it! Hope it stays that way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Even in the counties that encompass the large cities?

Everywhere in TN outside the "major cities" doesn't emissions test or basically give a **** what you register.

Hell, the county I live in has never even asked to see any of the vehicles I've got tags for.

Bebop said:
How do I do that ? I need another address for that right ?
Yes.... Kinda.... In some counties. Some don't ask questions (they're just happy that someone came in to get tags)

Knox County doesn't do emission testing and I am about positive that Hamilton county doesn't either. You should be good to go!!

pholmann said:
Knox County doesn't do emission testing and I am about positive that Hamilton county doesn't either. You should be good to go!!

Hamilton County does test emissions. I had to have my daily driver tested so I'm positive.

pholmann said:
Hamilton does, None of the surrounding counties I know of do though.

TBItoy said:
Yes.... Kinda.... In some counties. Some don't ask questions (they're just happy that someone came in to get tags)

How do you do that ? Basically I want to buy a car with a clapped out engine, swap it and then get it registered. To get it registered I'm almost positive they'll ask me for my address. Especially if it's an out of state car at first.

Moving is sadly out of the picture.

Re: Re: Re:

Bebop said:
How do you do that ? Basically I want to buy a car with a clapped out engine, swap it and then get it registered. To get it registered I'm almost positive they'll ask me for my address. Especially if it's an out of state car at first.

Moving is sadly out of the picture.
I'd check with your local emissions place first (since you already know they emission test).

If the car is old enough, it may be emissions exempt. Or if you register it and get antique or show car tags for it, also may be exempt.

Some counties/county employees just don't care if you have a valid address, or if the address you give them is even in their county. You just have to walk in and try. Although if you have a local gung ho Johnny law, he may realize that you do live there and your vehicle is registered somewhere else (but, that is a VERY common situation in any place with a college, as virtually all college students have their vehicles registered in their "hometown")

kinda looks like if you have pre 95, and it passes a tail pipe sniffer test, has a gas cap, and has catalytic converters, that you are good to go.

Yeah that's what I think. But I dont know How they'll react if I show up with a gas engine in a diesel car.

I tried to get ahold of the state mechanic but he's busy.

Call Tom at Toms 4x4 there in Chattanooga he did a 5.3 swap in his brute and just did a hemi swap in a JK he can tell you im pretty sure

5BrothersFabrication said:
Come to Knoxville, use my address. No emissions, and I've registered a truck that was in Florida at the time.

If I have to, I might take your word for it. Thanks buddy