• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ERoCC flash back

Jellico motel was never the same after that night!

That go cart wasn't either. I just crushed it and hauled it off a couple months ago.

I have a lot of pics from erroc I helped with a team, built a couple of rigs. Pretty much was the gopher, mechanic,whatever was needed was a lot of fun. I ran up and down the hill by crow's nest so many times it wasn't even funny. Also was about 50 lbs lighter. On one of the rigs we broke the output on a dana 20 3 times welder it back together twice on the third driver called it quits. Its fun to fear down a Tcase between obbsticials and put back together.

rednecklights said:
Mo do you have any old pictures of King of the hill ?

Edit: I saw some in the spinoff thread :dblthumb:

Going through my hard drives to upload them.

customfab said:
I have a lot of pics from erroc I helped with a team, built a couple of rigs. Pretty much was the gopher, mechanic,whatever was needed was a lot of fun. I ran up and down the hill by cross nest so many times it wasn't even funny. Also was about 50 lbs lighter. On one of the rigs we broke the output on a dana 20 3 times welder it back together twice on the third driver called it quits. Its fun to fear down a Tcase between obbsticials and put back together.

Good times Nate!
Ole scotty could break a rubber ball!

Re:

onepieceatatime said:
How did that dudes dual SM465s work?

He made an adapter to mate the back of one to the front of the other and the back one worked like a 4-speed doubler. I also forgot to mention that he totaled the rig in the motel parking lot that night. At the time no one understood pinion brakes so he was showing everyone how well they worked by doing hard stops from speed. One of the heims / links gave out and sent the front axle through the LS1 destroying it completely.

joshuacrowe said:
Little yellow rig with the MRW beadlocks and portals was Ken Blume, not Ken Shupe. Shupe had the first set of fluted and lightened Dynatrac 60's then and was still killing it, even with a cast on one arm.

That's right, I got my Kens mixed up. Thanks. Both Ken's were super nice guys, super-competitive, and almost polar opposites. :) I think Blume is still competing / racing today if I'm not mistaken.

matlock said:
3rd pic is Chris Durham, he LIKED to gas it thumb.gif

Thanks. His name was right on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get it out. He also had a cousin or someone that drove one of his older rigs. It was hilarious because the rules didn't allow Chris to spot him or something and he didn't really know how to drive the rig. So he had a faux-spotter who stacked rocks for him and his eyes were always on Chris in the crowd who was signing instructions to him.

5BrothersFabrication said:
Wait, Josh Crowe? As in THE Josh Crowe? I used to come watch you guys in Dayton! :woot:

Yes sir, the same Josh Crowe. I loved running at Dayton. The course is so cool and all of the people are great. I have had a ton of fun there. The crowds were always so much fun to put on a show for.

Re:

That's right, I got my Kens mixed up. Thanks. Both Ken's were super nice guys, super-competitive, and almost polar opposites. :) I think Blume is still competing / racing today if I'm not mistaken.

You're correct. Kenny Blume is still running, and always running well. His son is a great driver too. Kenny has always been really helpful to me through the years.

Reeko said:
I miss the old Erocc, Urocc,We-Rock days in Jellico.

So do I. Those are the kind of events I liked to watch. I guess it opened the door to the "bouncer" world. But I'd much rather go back to jellico.

Charlie Melchner always had innovative rigs. This one had steering unimogs. I think Shupe and Blume had the first 37" stickies (Krawlers) but he was the first to have 39s.

Mentioned earlier Randy Torbett had the planetary tractor axles that turned stupid sharp, but I think he was one of the first to get an air-shifted Lovell t-case.