• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Eureka Campers

GIZMO1 said:
Truck campers can be great but do not go to big, My F-450 struggled with my Lance 1181 . In this picture the truck had air bags with ( 100lbs of air ) and it also had the Torklift bumpstops. My biggest issue other than the weight was the time it took to get everything loaded and the hitch setup so I could head out. I was also using a Torklift hitch made with a 48 inch Hitch extension.

Should have stayed with the 50 foot tug-a-long. :eek:

GIZMO1 said:
This was before the 50 ft trailer, The big girl is still in the driveway and will be heading north this weekend 8)

AWESOME, that's a Ritz Carlton on wheels son. :****:

85toyo said:
This is my dads current setup. Stock 3500 without bags. Hauls it with no issues and can be loaded in under 5 minutes. He lives out of it around 6 months out of the year and it's been all the way to California several times.

I remember your dad, Matt, him and Big Eddie Johnson was buddys, he would stop by every once in awhile and shoot the ****, when I was at the Chevy store in Ft. Payne

zukimaster said:
I remember your dad, Matt, him and Big Eddie Johnson was buddys, he would stop by every once in awhile and shoot the ****, when I was at the Chevy store in Ft. Payne

I knew he was buddy's with somebody up there but never really knew who. Him and my grandad both bought all their trucks up there for a long time. I don't think I've been by there since I had a ignition switch swapped out about 5 years ago.

85toyo said:
I knew he was buddy's with somebody up there but never really knew who. Him and my grandad both bought all their trucks up there for a long time. I don't think I've been by there since I had a ignition switch swapped out about 5 years ago.

Eddie is at Bob Hembree Chevrolet in Guntersville now

I picked this up last year for $2250 after having my tent blown down and flooded every wheeling trip. I can't imagine going back to anything less. Once the engine swap is finished I'll see how the new Ferd likes it, but the Dodge didn't have any struggles pulling or walking side to side.

I am bringing this back up because I am heading to their facility either tomorrow or early next week. I think some of the amenities can be done a little cheaper and I still want to price in a small generator into the whole package deal. I still think my biggest thoughts are leaking and weight. I have struggled with the canvas style pop up campers for the leaking/noise issues. Weight would be ideal. The only other option that I will go with is a full on Toter home that I can park the rig in and no trailer if this plan doesn't work out.

I'll take some pictures and post up whatever else I find on my journey.

lowbudgetjunk said:
My current tow rig is a single wheel F250. I had a truck camper that was 2400 pounds dry and it just seemed to be too much too. I had a trailer with an extended tongue of around 3 feet and it was white knuckle driving for sure. I figure if I can keep the wet weight under 1000 pounds, I will be happy.

I am not a recreational camper anymore and will use it twice a year to go to Talladega (business) and for any over night stays when I go wheeling. It might get used 10-12 times a year. I thought about going enclosed, but I have a steel deck trailer that I maintain for my brother-in-law. He lives on the road and needs it from time to time to bring a second vehicle back to Alabama. It is better for me to use it and do maintenance on it, than maintaining two trailers.

I am still thinking this through, but feel like a welded out aluminum slide in is going to be my best bet. Not too big, not too many options and not too much on the price tag.
What did you end up doing?

I did. They were good people and a good product. For two people, it is hands down better than tent camping and the options are there to make it comfortable. A/C, fridge, sink, porta potty.

Lightweight and guaranteed not to leak. If I didn't take my trip to Texas, I would have picked one up.