• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

F-350 6 speed swap!

Toyota_corey

-since the day i baught this truck the tranny was garbage and i knew it...
-pulled it out once put a new torque converter in cause thats what it needed..
-cool... it worked.... six months down the road same thing.. cool fixed it again
-then it started acting up again so this time i ran it till the falker wouldnt move so i couldnt fix it without spending alot.... let it sit in the driveway for 5 months till i felt like driving it again.. this time the only way it was getting fixed was with a 6 speed so i didnt have to be nice to it or spend 6 grand on a dumb auto..
- pretty much hard to find one just laying around... called every wreaking in washington literaly... so i started looking in oregon and finaly found one in a wreaked truck...
- lucky for me the guy didnt know what he had in his junk yard literaly his back yard with like 15 trucks
-My duty is a 99 and the truck i found was a 02
-lucky enough the guy pulled everything out of the truck for me

- so i ended up getting the tranny witch had a brand new clutch in it and flywheel, the spacer for the crank, engine block spacer, transfercase which was also a manuel, the whole clutch pedel assembely, the the hyro slave cyclinder, the stick, and trim/boots around the floor.. all for $2200 out the door

100_1746.jpg

100_1754.jpg

A log truck tranny jack made life alot easyer!!!!!!!!! execpt getting it in the truck in the first place about killed me cause you can see the size of it compared to the fullsize long truck bed....
100_1747.jpg

first thing i had to do was buck the floor out cause theres is a height difference in the tranny tunnel
100_1752.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1772.jpg

Last edited:
once the tranny fit up where it was so post to there was the big whole to fill... so i had a cover to make which i planned cause i wanted to make one that was as low as possable cause i wanted to reuse the carpet that was in there instead of ordering new stuff
100_1770.jpg

100_1771.jpg

100_1775.jpg

100_1773.jpg

as far as the cross member goes it couldnt get any easyer cause it just bolts back on cause theres is factory holes for either tranny and the driveline lengths didnt change what so ever... literaly just bolts it
100_1767.jpg

100_1768.jpg

the clutch was about easy to!! cause it all just bolts in.. there is factory holes in the firewall and knock outs in the insolation where it should go and plug up under the dash that has a cap on it that u just hook up.. only thing that was kinda dumb was the automatic brake pedel, cause it is wider than a normal cluth set up.. it was like 1/4'' from the two touching each other so the torch fixed that problem... i just heated it in two differant spots anf put a little s shaped bend to it and made usalbe
100_1769.jpg

these are the two spacers i mentioned early one for behind the flywheel and one for the block.... both witch are differant than the auto
100_1748.jpg

because i was ancy to drive it start to finish it took me about 3 hours to bolt in everthing... and once i did i just sat my seat in truck and was going to test drive it.... well that didnt get far cause it wouldnt start.... it wasnt happy with the 5 or 6 eletrical plugs from the tranny not being hooked up... so i did a little research and found out that i could just jump two points in the plug that determines if its in park or not... and once i did that i had to push the clutch in and have the auto in park then it fired up!
100_1750.jpg

once it started i buttened up all the small things and threw everything back together
100_1777.jpg

100_1780-1.jpg

as far as rest of the electrical goes i didnt switch computers.... since my old 6 potision chip was meant for a auto and i gave it to my mom cause she pulls a horse trailer and daily drives hers and she has bitchin about milage cause it was bone stock getting ass for milage and mine averaged 17to18 with 41's :awesomework: but anyways it was easyer to order a new chip for it and have a company burn it for the situation with all the right info and to this day it still works fine cause i did this about a year ago and are just know getting around to post it :D

-thought it was funny to leave the auto shifter in place also to cause its pretty much cunfuses anyone than dont know =)

absolutly love it buy the way.... cause i can drive the **** out of it now and dont have to worry about and its fun when some is being a D-bag behind me cause i will just crank the chip up slow down and just stand on the throttle in 5th gear till its ROLLing a black cloud at someone!!!:cool::cool: :awesomework:

and sinse then i put gauges in it so i dont frie the motor cause its amazing what the pyro will do

didnt metion anything about the tranny cooler but i cleaned out the stock auto one really good and hooked that back up cause its more than enough for the manuel...... and i filled the tranny with royal purple to so it dont even think about getting hot
100_0935-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. But it sucks to hear about the tranny, I need one for my Dodge :booo:. Hopefully somewhere I will find a Chevy or Ford with a ZF hanging around that someone is willing to sell for a decent price like you found.

:awesomework:

Good thread, could be very use full in the feature,I have a 2000 f350 have 60 sum k on a rebuilt auto lets see how long it will last:eeek: