• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ axles under yota truck?

NotSoPC

I am looking to do an SAS on my 86 and was wondering if the FJ axles would be good under the truck or if I am just beter off with the truck axle? I am also having an issue finding a truck axle that is ready (one peice) and not bent. I have looked at a few and all were bent good and I dont really want to spend 400-500 on an axle or even 250 on a bent one.

I was thinking that maybe a rear out of a tundra may work but my big issue is would it be too wide with the FJ front to be street legal?

FJ's have IFS- of course perhaps you meant FJ60 or FJ40.

And of course it will be street legal width. Its not going to be anywider on your rig. (than the one it came off of)

Last edited:
Maybe FJ80 or FZJ80.

I see that you have one of those as well, if he wanted to go with a 80 series front that would open up a huge can of worms.

They are wider, (only a couple inches) have bigger birfs, bigger brakes, High pinion fronts. <---- All desirable

What they don't have is any after market steering options.

Its been done,if you look on POR or Mudd you can find info on guys that have tried.

If you know of a 80 in a wrecking yard let me know, I am looking for a few small parts for mine.

I am looking to do an SAS on my 86 and was wondering if the FJ axles would be good under the truck or if I am just beter off with the truck axle? I am also having an issue finding a truck axle that is ready (one peice) and not bent. I have looked at a few and all were bent good and I dont really want to spend 400-500 on an axle or even 250 on a bent one.

All things considered, a Land Cruiser front axle will be just as much if not more money than a truck axle.

An FJ40/FJ55 axle will be narrower than your IFS rear, so you'll need spacers to make up the difference. For disk brakes, it'll need to be newer than 1976, but I would strongly suggest staying away from the '76-'78 axles since they have smaller birfs (even smaller than truck axles) and a smaller (weaker) knuckle arm bolt pattern. So you're looking at 79+ axles, which are fairly rare already, and are highly sought after by Cruiser guys looking to get front disks. The 79+ axles will also have 3.73 gears in the diff, as opposed to the 4.11s of earlier axles.

An FJ60 ('81 - 87) axle is probably close to the right width, but I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head. They're also highly sought after for the disk brake setups, but also have 3.73 gears. An FJ62 axle ('88 - '90) will be the same, but with 4.11 gears. The diff is REALLY offset to the passenger side, so the spring spacing might be affected - possibly need to outboard your springs.

And then you'll have mis-matched parts. Diffs are different between the front and rear, pinion flanges are different (I think...).

I'd just go with a truck axle. It's been done thousands of times. I'm sure you can find a decent straight one here from someone.

Personally I will be going to a land cruiser FJ 40 Front and keeping the toyota rear. But I am not worried about matching anything nothing on my rig matches. as long as you get same gear ratio youll be fine.

toy pickup'79-85 front axle~ 55.5", rear axle~ 55"

'90-97 Landcruiser FJ-80/FZJ-80 front axle~ 63.5

FJ40 axles are 57" front, 56" rear

Cant find any info on a fj60 axle.

please let me know how you are figureing out they are BENT by looking at them?

I got a straight LOOKING one Id sell ya.:corn:

Budget truck recycling in auburn has a newer fj60 with a complete front end they want 200$ for it. Take the cruiser front end get a bigger ring and pinion. Then take a set of pickup outers and then it will accept high steer arms. The fj60 axles are wider then the fj40s are. The land cruiser housings are alot stronger then the pickup ones. I have a toyota v6 rear you could have for 50 bucks and a lock right for a cruiser front diff for 150$. The cruiser rotors are also vented and they have bigger calipers.

toy pickup'79-85 front axle~ 55.5", rear axle~ 55"

'90-97 Landcruiser FJ-80/FZJ-80 front axle~ 63.5

FJ40 axles are 57" front, 56" rear

Cant find any info on a fj60 axle.

From what I remember, the FJ60 is 3" wider than the FJ40/FJ55 front, making it ~60".

That sounds about right comparing the 80-series at 63.5".

Then take a set of pickup outers and then it will accept high steer arms.

The knuckles on any Land Cruiser axle from 1979 - 1990 have the exact same steering arm bolt pattern as the truck axle. All of the high steer arms bolt up just fine with no need to swap knuckles.

yeah he is still around but hes way high priced. Ill send you his number in a bit.

no kidding fj40s are not as rare as he thinks infact their not rare at all really.

Well the ones I have looked at I was able to tell they were bent cause they were really bad. The reason for the FJ ? was I have seen a few that were cheap and figured they would be even better. But I think i will be going with the truck axle anyway. I was also thinking of useing a long arm set up off of an XJ or TJ with some air shocks. Arms kinda like the ones Iron Rock sells or even rustys. Would anyone know if this is doable? And if the axle is good and the right price I may want to take a look.

I think I could build a three link cheaper then an sas kit even after buying the air shocks.:awesomework:

Last edited:
just buy the basic hanger kit, dont buy the full SAS kit, ya can piece together all the rest, ford shock towers, cheap rancho shocks, waggy or used lift springs, an TG long slip DL or stock straight axle driveline lengthened...we have done SAS's for under $300 an they turn out well, many of them were DD's with many miles put on the setups... Just be pacient(sp?), buy parts for cheap, trade, barter, scrounge the junkyards...

A bolt in jeep kit would be a lot of work to make work on a yota, ur best bet would be doin a custom setup, it would be easier...If ya wanted to be linked, ya could run a radius arm setup like this.
0612or_03_z+1994_toyota_pickup+radius_arms.jpg
more here...http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/0612or_1994_toyota_pickup_truck/photo_03.html
Probably $500+ in materials... I know someone did a Dakota on here like this, here.... http://nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34666 I know ya will be into it at least $500 for air shocks...an ya will have to have wheels with very little backspacin if ya use yota axles so ya dont rub tire on shocks or links...

just my $000,000,00,000.02:redneck:

I was thinking about building one lust like that. The air shocks are $230 each on Trail-Gear so thats not too bad. I can fab the arms myself and was thinking about putting a kink in them to help prevent rubbing. I was planning on building a new cross member anyways so this may be the perfect time to do so. Has any got any ideas or pics of a yota with a set up like this? I am thinking of how to route/set-up the shocks so they clear. Thanx:awesomework: