• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

SUMBITCH! Will be 3 to 4 months til I can get some Marlin EcoSeals for FJ80 axle. They said they had a bulk qty of mini truck seals mislabeled as fj80 seals and then discovered it after they had already sold out of fj80 seals. So since they have to make the seals and only make 3,000 at a time, it will be a few months before they are back in stock.

SOOOOOO, what's the next best in line til I can buy some EcoSeals?

BUG-E J said:
When I had a yota front axle I didn't worry till it stopped leaking. :****:

molaugh molaugh molaugh molaugh

Donutfj80 said:
With Bobbys wipers,you don't even need to take the knuckles off the axle housing to install.

Looking at the Longfield wipers and trying to figure out how you put them on without taking the knuckles off. Do they come already cut/split or are you saying you can cut the wiper to keep from having to take the knuckle off?

ibrokeit said:
Josh doesn't try very hard. At anything.

Hey **** you buddy :flipoff1: molaugh

I figured since it was a Marlin Crawler product, they was the only ones you could get the sumbitches from :dunno:. I did put "newb" in the thread title so I'm exempt from the flack of dumb questions. :popcorn:

TacomaJD said:
Hey **** you buddy :flipoff1: molaugh

I figured since it was a Marlin Crawler product, they was the only ones you could get the sumbitches from :dunno:. I did put "newb" in the thread title so I'm exempt from the flack of dumb questions. :popcorn:

laughing1 laughing1

TacomaJD said:
Looking at the Longfield wipers and trying to figure out how you put them on without taking the knuckles off. Do they come already cut/split or are you saying you can cut the wiper to keep from having to take the knuckle off?

They come with a cut/slit.

Where the hell is The Shunt? I thought he was the 80serise OG around here. What happened, he dumped Lorena and lost his roots? :dunno:

Donutfj80 said:
They come with a cut/slit.

Where the hell is The Shunt? I thought he the 80serise OG around here. What happened, he dumped Lorena and lost his roots? :dunno:

He has another RV. Must not have no WIFIs in the ole RV in walmart parking lot :dunno:

Re: Re: FJ80 axle help, newb knuckle rebuild.

You can take a stock cheap o parts store seal and fill the back of it with ultra back rtv (which you should have some on hand anyway) and let it cure. It makes the next best thing to an eco seal. It stiffens/tightens up the seal area.

Bump old thread.

Finally about to get this done before we ride again Nov. 16th since my front end is full of water and everything is leaking. I have 2 Marlin Eco Seals, just ordered spindle gaskets and backing plate gaskets from Cruiser Outfitters, now I'm trying to decide what wiper seals to go with.

Trail Gears wiper seals with the rock rings? ...or should Bobby Long's wiper seals cut the mustard with factory hardware? TG's seals and rock rings are over $50 shipped and Bobby's seals are $36 free shipping. Reckon the TG rock rings serve a good enough purpose to spend the money on them or are they pretty much just an excessive expense?

Go ahead and get the TG wipers and rings, that **** is nice, and a better design than the Long wipers.

EDIT: TG doesnt' make FJ80 wiper seals.

When orderingt the wiper seals from Bobby Long's website, it is $1 more for the FJ80 wipers, assuming they are bigger than mini truck axles? When ordering TG wiper seals, I haven't found anything that specifies mini truck or fj80 seal kit, it's only one part number. Does this mean they will only fit mini trucks or should they be the same for FJ80???

The TG seals are rubber urethane **** all one peice made to stretch over the knuckle balls, this may be a problem if the knuckle balls are bigger on fj80 axle housing, I don't know. :dunno:

Also, I wasn't planning on taking the knuckles off, and it looks like Bobby's UHMW seals are all one peice also....which I wouldn't think would stretch any, I'm assuming you have to cut a slit in them to get them on?

Bobby's
http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/other-products/10/toyota-knuckle-lifetime-wiper-seals.html#idTab5

Trail Gear's
http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle-service

Hell I just assumed that TG had started making the wipers for FJ80s.

They haven't.

Longfield is your only choice besides stock stuff.

So how do you get the longfield seals on if they are not pliable and are one seamless peice? Cut a slit and rotate the seal until the slit sits at the top to minimize leaking? Bout the only way I can see getting them on.

TacomaJD said:
So how do you get the longfield seals on if they are not pliable and are one seamless peice? Cut a slit and rotate the seal until the slit sits at the top to minimize leaking? Bout the only way I can see getting them on.

if you take the knuckle off, you lube up the ball and pry like a motherfucker on them.

Otherwise, just cut the seal and then superglue it back together after you put in around the ball.

TBItoy said:
if you take the knuckle off, you lube up the ball and pry like a motherfucker on them.

Otherwise, just cut the seal and then superglue it back together after you put in around the ball.

Not gonna take the knuckles off, so cut and glue it is.

Off topic FJ80 info sharing: Were you aware that there are two different length birfields and drive flanges on the 80 series axles?

TacomaJD said:
Not gonna take the knuckles off, so cut and glue it is.

Off topic FJ80 info sharing: Were you aware that there are two different length birfields and drive flanges on the 80 series axles?

Yep, ABS and Non-ABS. we discussed it in at least 2 other threads on here (ones that you started)