• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full 40 spline 14 bolt rear

redneckengineered said:
You know it may be best to just call WOD, tell them what you want and give them your CC number.

probably.

You can do a lot with a 14 bolt. Pretty much anything you can dream up, really. But you need to be resourceful if you are going to be doing it yourself.

How have the Nitro Spools been holding up I know they make a 40 spline spool for 300 or 325 but It might not be worth a damn

They're pretty good, I've seen Bobby Tanner break one, but nobody is really Bobby Tanner...

That said, I believe they are on back order with no date officially for re-stocking. I might be wrong though.

Yessir. But it was this year.

Spool broke, or at least that's what I was told.

redneckengineered said:
He stripped a side but it was due to insufficient spline engagement. That being said I'm not a proponent of Nitro or anything. I'm sure they're fine but I trust the quality of the 40spline.com spools from Mark Williams.

X2

If you're dropping coin on a built ass 14b, are you really going to be that better off saving what, $200? To go with an indo-China made spool vs Mark Williams stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little off topic but couldn't you make a flange that bolts rockwell spindles on and run a 47 outter 40 inner as well or if you find a dana 80 you could run 47 all the way through I am curious to see if any company makes these flanges or if its a one off deal. I think it would be a little more expensive up front but it would be a rear axle you wouldn't break and you could upgrade down the road to a rear steer and reuse hubs etc

collinmaune said:
A little off topic but couldn't you make a flange that bolts rockwell spindles on and run a 47 outter 40 inner as well or if you find a dana 80 you could run 47 all the way through I am curious to see if any company makes these flanges or if its a one off deal. I think it would be a little more expensive up front but it would be a rear axle you wouldn't break and you could upgrade down the road to a rear steer and reuse hubs etc

Probably but it has been pretty well proven out that a good 40 spline shaft exceeds the strength of the 14 bolt R&P so why spend the extra money? That is also very custom, it is getting to the point where it is going to be quite easy to go 40 spline on a 14 bolt. I just got off the phone yesterday with another company working on a set of floater cups that will accept the Super Doody UBs. Go find one of the extra wide 14Bs from a junkyard, lop off the spindles in your big block band saw, weld on the floater cups, bolt on some UBs, grab a 40 spline spool, and get you a set of 40 spline floater shafts made. Boom done. That can be done with virtually all off the shelf parts and very little "custom" headache.

PM me details of floater cups if you don't mind.

I've got nothing against Weaver, but if that other company makes it better/cheaper, I'm interested.

It is Torq Motorsports. If it is like anything else he does they will be very nice. I also confirmed they will be available for 3.5 AND 4" tube. Knowing how wide the 4" tube 14Bs are, that makes it ridiculously easy to chop them down to your desired WMS width and burn in the floater cups. Stupid simple.

redneckengineered said:
Nope, nothing yet. I stay in touch with Jim so I'll keep you posted. He is also working on a compatible Spidertrax brake package that would be an option.

Bebop said:
How about Brainik hats/rotors ?

It's not the 40 spline spindles or UB, but for folks wanting spidertrax stuff on 14 bolts...its stone cold simple really :stir: booyang

xMorgUE.jpg

redneckengineered said:
Knowing how wide the 4" tube 14Bs are, that makes it ridiculously easy to chop them down to your desired WMS width and burn in the floater cups. Stupid simple.

The biggest challenge I'm facing currently is the re-tubing of my axle. I've got the tubes cut down and the rosette welds drilled out, but I haven't pressed the tubes out of the center section. I've read that it could possibly take 30+ tons of force to get them out. Does anyone here have any experience?

waggener1 said:
The biggest challenge I'm facing currently is the re-tubing of my axle. I've got the tubes cut down and the rosette welds drilled out, but I haven't pressed the tubes out of the center section. I've read that it could possibly take 30+ tons of force to get them out. Does anyone here have any experience?

Grab it with both hands and pull real hard.

In all seriousness they will come out pretty easily with a good press. I've heard about it being done hillbilly style with chains and a come-a-long but it's worth the money to just take it to a machine shop that knows what they are doing.

https://www.facebook.com/wideopendesign/videos/10153931538949965/

Bebop said:
How about Brainik hats/rotors ?

I spoke to Stan about those back during the summer. It's a great way to trim some weight, plus Branik's are cheaper than the Spidertrax version. Stan told me that he cuts the rotors out of .375" low/plain carbon steel plate. My biggest concern about going that route is rotor warpage. I don't want to be replacing rotors on a regular basis. I'll have to decide how much I value the weight savings!