• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

good luck on ____ at harbor freight...

muchado

I have had some good luck on tools from harbor freight like the bandsaw... but terrible luck on things like cut-off wheels, etc... Can you guys post up tools you've gotten that were impressed with from HF? I am in the process of equippin' my garage--- it's gonna be a long process of "little herre little there" since I'm startin' fresh(all I've ever known is my dad's stash of tools). I am not buyin everything there, there's things I'd never buy there like ratchets... thumb.gif... but if I can get it cheapish and it does a good job I'm all about saving $$. I don't need my tools to say snap-on or matco.

I just spent an hour over there the other day and my Christmas list is filled. Looked like great deals on bead blaster, parts washer, electric dog polisher, side mounted tool box, floor scissor jack, fur lined sink, and bearing packer. I thought I had some tools, and now I need more. Cheap prices, not exactly Snap on, but good enough for my " Presidential Solution" work. (previously known as nikker rigged) thumb.gif

I've got the perfect cheap tool for you.....

They sell thse trick ass custom flat bill hats :afro: with the little lights integrated into the bill, ya know so you can keep up apperances while workin on yo **** :flipoff1:

Rob this makes me laugh.. Im exactly the opposite. The cut-off wheels for the 4.5 angle grinder are the best for the $$ in my opinion.

the chopsaw is ****, the angle grinder is ****, all of thier tape is ****, Razor Blades are cheap and fine, I basically only use them for consumable's personally... even at work that's about all we use them for. thumb.gif

Orielly's has this "FirePower" brand 14" chopsaw blade.... its about 6 bux and is the best one I have used . I buy my chopsaw blades and my welding wire from Orielly's because they are cheapest believe it or not ! thumb.gif

P said:
Rob this makes me laugh.. Im exactly the opposite. The cut-off wheels for the 4.5 angle grinder are the best for the $$ in my opinion.

the chopsaw is ****, the angle grinder is ****, all of thier tape is ****, Razor Blades are cheap and fine, I basically only use them for consumable's personally... even at work that's about all we use them for. thumb.gif

Orielly's has this "FirePower" brand 14" chopsaw blade.... its about 6 bux and is the best one I have used . I buy my chopsaw blades and my welding wire from Orielly's because they are cheapest believe it or not ! thumb.gif

we must just get a shitty batch but I've never had good luck with their angle grinder cutoff wheels.. $1.49 ones at home depot work 1mm times better last 5x longer but maybe I just use the angle grinder wrong laughing1

I'll keep in mind the chopsaw blades from O'reilley's... Have a buddy that works me a "cash deal" on everything there so maybe I should stock up when I toss it down on a chop saw (soon hopefully)

The pirate thread lists alot of stuff people have had luck with. I for one do not like their cut off disks or flap disks but I dunno. Jack stands are good, I have heard their cherry pickers have held up. Drill presses are shitty. I only buy their hand tools for the trail, because I am a tool snob, but they work. Every time I go in there I buy less and less HF junk. For instince the last time I went in there I bought disposable nitrile gloves, tapping fluid in a spray, and some shop rags. I just dont think their **** would hold up to me, mainly their power or air tools. ALso the 20 press seems to be a favorite but you must replace that BS cast blocks they give you with some 1" plate or you wont be able to wear a flat bill. :flipoff1: I think the store is great for consumable type stuff, but I am a big believer in saving up and buying good at first (take P's hydro for example :flipoff1:) If I was gunna buy a MIll, I could go buy theirs right now, but I would rather save for a used bridgport or similar. Damn I type too much

I have had there parts washer for about 5 years no problem. jack stands and a floor jack been good. They seem reasonable on air hose as well as the reels you use to wind them up on

Marty said:
The pirate thread lists alot of stuff people have had luck with. I for one do not like their cut off disks or flap disks but I dunno. Jack stands are good, I have heard their cherry pickers have held up. Drill presses are shitty. I only buy their hand tools for the trail, because I am a tool snob, but they work. Every time I go in there I buy less and less HF junk. For instince the last time I went in there I bought disposable nitrile gloves, tapping fluid in a spray, and some shop rags. I just dont think their **** would hold up to me, mainly their power or air tools. ALso the 20 press seems to be a favorite but you must replace that BS cast blocks they give you with some 1" plate or you wont be able to wear a flat bill. :flipoff1: I think the store is great for consumable type stuff, but I am a big believer in saving up and buying good at first (take P's hydro for example :flipoff1:) If I was gunna buy a MIll, I could go buy theirs right now, but I would rather save for a used bridgport or similar. Damn I type too much

Yep.. There's a large # of tools I wouldn't buy there...but thread in my head started with intent more about random **** that can add up and get expensive---like vices, pry bars, organizing stuff, etc...

Hand tools craftsman is good 'nuff for me(sears running alot of good deals right now too)..

Yes on jackstands. I also have some screw drivers for my trail bag, rubber hammer and some tarps from there.

CHASMAN9 said:
I just spent an hour over there the other day and my Christmas list is filled. Looked like great deals on bead blaster, parts washer, electric dog polisher, side mounted tool box, floor scissor jack, fur lined sink, and bearing packer. I thought I had some tools, and now I need more. Cheap prices, not exactly Snap on, but good enough for my " Presidential Solution" work. (previously known as nikker rigged) thumb.gif

My dog might be interested in the polisher. Shes a short hair Pit bull. I havent got her anything for Christmas yet.

my experiences

Good
wrenches - cheap and lifetime
chopsaw - finally crapped out but got good use out of it
moving blankets
welding blankets
cutoff - for the money they work fine
flap disk - wear FAST but good for money
parts washer
welding helmet - not the best but 6years of abuse and still works with some duct tape, not bad for $50

Bad
air compressor auto drain - worked for 5seconds then failed
just about anything with bearings in it
Not much else that I've got experience with has been bad that I can remember, if it looks shitty it is and I don't buy it. If it's an important tool that things would rely on I don't get it from HF

3/4" sockets. I have not broke one --- yet --- with a 48" cheater pipe.
Huge open end wrench set.
6 ton jack stands
flap disks
4" grinding disks
1100 pound lift table
car dollys
vice
sand blaster
reel drop light
portapower
air hose reel

Things I would not purchase again:
Band saw
Parts washer
haolgen lights on wall mounts
air quick disconnects
milling maching, works good, just don't use it enough to justify.

P said:

Orielly's has this "FirePower" brand 14" chopsaw blade.... its about 6 bux and is the best one I have used . I buy my chop saw blades and my welding wire from Orielly's because they are cheapest believe it or not ! thumb.gif

I purchased the 6 point star sockets they do good. Also the large cresent wrenches. The cut-off wheels work pretty good for me also. For 7.00 you get 10 . And for the named brand they are 2.70 a piece . I also bought a air grinder/polisher for some body work I was doing. It is just like the one Orielly's sell. Air quick connects are ok. And the place I buy my steel swear by the horizontal band saw. Not the cheap one but the Industrial one.

And if you get bored easy you can buy a electronic fly swatter or one of the glider planes. :flipoff1:

I buy my welding wire at Lowes cause my welding supply is always out.... :dunno: And I also buy the chop saw blades there as well. I will check Orielly's on those items.

I like their consumables like flap discs, grinding wheels, cut off wheels, etc. Air hoses and fittings and small things like allen head sets. Jack stands are GREAT, I have a **** ton of them.

Their air tools suck ass, even their pneumatic grease gun is a huge pile of junk. I would really never buy any power tools of any sort from them. Maybe some cheap hand tools, but the rest is crap.

Thanks guys helpin my shoppin' list. Hard to think of all the stuff I use on a reg basis... And frustrating when you're used to just grabbin a tool but now you don't have access to it!

for now I think i'll be pickin up..
Jack Stands 6 Ton $36.99
Small adjustable end wrench set 6" 8" 10" 12" $13
Vice
Impact sockets

I'mma give those cut-off wheels another shot. Last ones I bought had to have been 3 or more years ago and swore against them so started buying the norton ones from either linweld or HD.