• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got to wondering

patooyee said:
I wouldn't know rock bouncing if it hit me in the face. I just like to watch the videos on the internet that madram and busted knuckle post.
Pretty simple concept. Line up on a hill, mash the throttle and hold on :flipoff1:

InDaShop said:
Ricky B, I picked up this puke of a magazine the other day at the airport "Dirt Kings". And they had a couple page mud run spread that you shot, and the douches at the mag gave you mad props.
Very cool to see your stuff in a mag, and even cooler to see you getting some cool props.

This is probably the OTHER Ricky B.... Ricky Wilson, he does 4x4cross in NC. Should I have trademarked my name? laughing1

bigsilly said:
Pretty simple concept. Line up on a hill, mash the throttle and hold on :flipoff1:

I guess that's the wiki ...

... Looking at it, it doesn't look like such great idea now. :)

wngrog said:
I think it is funny an Ultra 4 built buggy won the bounce series and you can't find anything but pics of Jungle Gym buggies with suspensions that don't work flying through the air.

I guess I am old because I remember a time when Ken Shupe, Ken Blume, and Chris Durham with his V8 and leaf springs were tearing up all the west coast circuits. (And east coast for that matter.) Or even Randy Torbett with his fork-lift axles, wasn't he a right coaster also?

Hell, that one clip of Durham with his aluminum leaf-spring rig rolling at the top of that ledge and then continuing on after some throttle is legendary. I think that was out west, wasn't it? Its got to be the single most viewed rock crawling / bouncing clip ever viewed on the internet AND broadcast television.

wngrog said:
These guys dont like 'Bug Mashing' either.

I am thinking 'Rock Bouncing' is the only non-trademarked term for 'that kind of wheeling' that is an acceptable 'non-hater' label.

P, don't hate me for being a hater......

Since we're reminiscing, who would people credit as being the original rock bouncer? My vote is for Durham, that dude would fricken nuke his damn rig before he gave up. Franky Fountain was pretty impressive but could never seem to keep a rig in one piece. His breakage was always impressive. Dibble?

Re: Re: Got to wondering

Was anyone here present for Franky's assault on crow's nest at erocc in Jellico in his ASM1 with rockwells, cut boggers, and the super charged ls1? To this day it is still the most violent assault I've ever seen. Those tires changed the face of that hill.

I'll see what videos I can find. Digital videography was in its infancy during most of these guys times ... YouTube had yet to be invented.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

wngrog said:
Dibble is the Godfather.

Amen, Never forget the video of him on Axle hill years ago going from bank to bank with the rear steer. After that video one of my buddies called up Randy Ouverson and ordered his shafts.

Cole said:
Amen, Never forget the video of him on Axle hill years ago going from bank to bank with the rear steer. After that video one of my buddies called up Randy Ouverson and ordered his shafts.

I can relate...its like riding with draggbody and then buying a big block

Heres a pic I "retook" with my digital camera of Durham goin up SLICKROCK at Tellico back in tha day , him and Brian had just got back from SUPERCRAWL , they came up behind our group at the bottem of SLICKROCK while we were eatin lunch so we told them to go on ahead around us so we could SEE THE SHOW ,,, Hamilton had just put his rig on coilovers and Chris still had his on leafs.

sami008.jpg

They just walked all over it for us ,,,backin up and hittin differen,t lines & stuff fer a while ;D

thats the only 35mm pic I have of them in my collection that was good enough quality to "recopy' ;D

Man I have to say Shannon Campbell has been at it for a long time. He has had some crazy assaults over the years.
But Durham, Bray, Blume, Shupe, Walker Evans, Bob Roggy, and plenty of others have been at it forever too.