• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Half an inch off" (budget) rockwell build

Re: Re: "Half an inch off" (budget) rockwell build

Eddyj said:
And........ I ran out of welding gas Saturday morning. :mad:
I picked up another tank for that reason. I always run out when the store is closed.

I would like to publicly apologize to rocfun for my welds on this beautiful chassis he bent up for me. :****: He did the fabbering and I did the weldering.
Chassis is welded up. Limit straps are moched up. Trans cross bar was raised for smooth belly.

I've got to tweak the steering ram a little or buy a decent ram, mount seat belts, secure plumbing, make the wiring look like a drunk monkey didn't do it, and get the tires to hold air more than an hour.
I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

Everyone hates it including myself but slime works on leaky beadlocks and old super swampers. I have used it in 3 different sets of wheels an tires with great luck. The only bad part is it's messy when u gotta break a tire down.

Knock out a couple of things that I've been worried about.
Got the seats mounted and five point harness done.
Shock mounts on front axle are slightly under built, so I added an additional brace and tied limit strap into the mount.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 130
Did upper limit strap mounts. Found a BTF shock tab that worked perfect. I may add a second and mount it double shear. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 136
Had my first cut off wheel come apart on me tonight. That's a life changing experience! Luckily I had on my welding gloves, still hurt like hell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 125
Eddyj said:
Did upper limit strap mounts. Found a BTF shock tab that worked perfect. I may add a second and mount it double shear. What do you guys think?

Build is looking good man thumb.gif I'd go ahead and double shear it, no need to worry about it ripping out and messing up a coilover.

I haven't had one of the 4.5" wheels blow up yet. I spun one of the 7" wheels a little to fast on the air grinder once and it shattered, it was sketchy to say the least.

I'll check out the pearls.

Yeah rocfun did an awesome job with the bender. Not only did it change the look but also the drivetrain mounts, seats mounts, and chassis all got some much needed attention. I gave him zero instructions on what I wanted as far as looks. Just showed him a couple pics of other rigs and told him NOT to make mine look like "rednecklights" I definately don't want to be mistaken for him out on the trail. I've been over the 100+ notches and welded everyone (I think) there was no gaps that couldn't be filled with two passes of the welder. The very few that I seen were not more than 1/8. After reading all the threads of people not getting what they wanted from a builder, I am extremely happy with mine.

I don't want to hear anyone bitchin about their garage. I built this in an abandon barn with no door and one outlet. The only month I work on it is in the winter, a lot of cold nights.

I got no lights, no winch, no body panels, overspray everywhere, the wrong springs, wire nuts, leaking fluid, no exhaust, 3/4 inch radiator hose, half a clutch, wrong air filter, nylon brake lines on this buggy, BUT my ass is going wheeling this week!!! :woot: