• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harbor freight welder?

mikemounlio

In college i did a year of stick welding. That was 7 years ago or something. I am ready to get into welding my own stuff now. I want to get a mig welder as i will be in my garage with it 100% of the time. My father has just told me he has a large gift card from harbor freight but really needs nothing from there. If i want it i can have it as an xmas gift or get some random gift (large family so it will be small something for the house). If i take the gift card i could get the 180 welder just over half off of the current price.

I am not 100% new to welding or the concept of how to butI have not welded in years tho. All the welding i did was on stick with a nice machine.

Would the harbor freight be a good welder to start on? Would it be up to the task of welding stuff for my buggy? I would like to take time to learn mig but then make small things like a roof rack, cooler basket, tool box basket, mabye more

They sell Hobart there and unless your making a living with it they are pretty decent machines IMO?? Some people may differ and hell some make a living with Hobart I'm sure!

I've never seen Hobart welders at Harbor Freight. ???

The welders they sell at Harbor Freight are junk. Will they stick 2 pieces of steel together? Probably, but I'd suggest trying to sell that gift card if neither of you need anything from there and using that money toward a better welder. Tractor Supply does carry Hobart and they are a decent welder. The 190 is the one I was looking at and it runs about $700. I ended up finding a used Lincoln 180 instead though. Keep an eye out for used ones. Any of the big 3 are better than the crappy ones from Harbor Freight.

I got my lincoln at the end of a year clearance, new models coming out sale, was way cheaper that way. Check your local welding stores right now.

You right sorry was thinking about northern tool (paradise)!! Never had any luck with much of anything but zip ties from harbor freight.

Re: Harbor freight welder?

I bought the 180 mig from harbor freight and it has been a great welder so far. I've only had it about 8 months and I just use it around the shop and old farm equipment, not something I use everyday. My last welder was the Lincoln 140 mig and IMO the harbor freight welds better than the Lincoln.

Fwiw....I've never welded before until about 6 months ago. I bought a flux core only 90$ Jobsmart welder from Tractor Supply to learn.

This has been great. I've welded tow hooks...trailer tie downs...steering quick release and some seats into mine.

Very convenient. Also fixed friends/family lawn furniture and some pieces in my living room recliner.

My welds are ugly...but I grinder down and paintem black. Most are hidden anyway. ..so **** it. So far the only broken welds I've had have been on the fender liners of my trailer the metal is just very thin and I keep blowing through it. If I was more talented it woulda stuck the first time.

I have the small fluxcore 110v Harbor Freight welder in the enclosed trailer. Been used by a bunch of people on trail repairs. Works great for a $90 welder. If it broke today, I would buy another.

I have seen some guys say its a good welder. Not great to do top shelf welds but will get the job done. I have found that the duty cycle is down 10% from the big 3 brands. Aside from that the wire feed wheels suck. The wheels from lincon will fit tho. So once the wheels mess up replace and keep going. 2 year warranty to help out.

Also i have only seen people say the wire that comes with it splaters very badly and that other wire does a much better job. I would use the wire until i can get gas set up on it. Later on down the road when i happen to find a deal on a welder i cant pass up il get a better one.

Im sold. HF Welder it is for me.

Depending on what you use it for, go ahead. I have had a Lincoln 140 for about 6 years and it's held up to the abuse without flinching. I throw it on the trailer for trail repairs as there is almost always 110v somewhere. The wife just picked me up this for Christmas for $2159 after rebate.

Re: Harbor freight welder?

Technician said:
That's about what I paid for my 252

They 212 and 216 were the same at $1699, and the 252 and 256 were the same price. Never had an issue with my Lincoln and everything I read was a Ford vs. Chevy type opinion. Several agreed the Lincoln seemed to use heavier components, and some of the internals were copper instead of aluminum in the Miller. I'm still trying to dial it in, never used anything this fancy.

tonybolton said:
Fwiw....I've never welded before until about 6 months ago. I bought a flux core only 90$ Jobsmart welder from Tractor Supply to learn.

This has been great. I've welded tow hooks...trailer tie downs...steering quick release and some seats into mine.

Very convenient. Also fixed friends/family lawn furniture and some pieces in my living room recliner.

My welds are ugly...but I grinder down and paintem black. Most are hidden anyway. ..so **** it. So far the only broken welds I've had have been on the fender liners of my trailer the metal is just very thin and I keep blowing through it. If I was more talented it woulda stuck the first time.
You seriously bought a 90 dollar machine and one of the things you learned to weld on was tow hooks? :eek:

Yup......i figured after bashing it into rocks and hi lift jacking it'd be acceptable. I know...im such a careless rebel. I'm gonna try only slowing down to 1 mph at a 4 way stop later. I am a true rebel and I'll never change.

JohnG said:
I have the small fluxcore 110v Harbor Freight welder in the enclosed trailer. Been used by a bunch of people on trail repairs. Works great for a $90 welder. If it broke today, I would buy another.

We used it on a TJ at Hawk Pride earlier this year. Did fine for a 110 attaching a partially torn off control arm mount.

I have heard there is a web site to sell or trade gift cards. sell or trade the HF gift card and go for the hobart 190 from tractor supply . got mine on sale for 640$ and I love it.

The point of getting the HF Welder was to not spend very much money. I could have the welder for about 150$. I cant buy a craigslist welder for that much. Then i can add the tank kit on later. Like i said ill keep my eyes open for a good deal on a name brand but until then ill be taking my chances with the HF Welder.

I had a Itallian 120 mig, it worked for a few years on light duty welding ,, But I allways ran gass on it.. Good luck..

mikemounlio said:
The point of getting the HF Welder was to not spend very much money. I could have the welder for about 150$. I cant buy a craigslist welder for that much. Then i can add the tank kit on later. Like i said ill keep my eyes open for a good deal on a name brand but until then ill be taking my chances with the HF Welder.

I think that is the right choice. As soon as you get it, lay some beads. That way if there is an issue, you can get it swapped out.