• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harlan 8-1 weekend

vanguard

That rock walker guy
I got home last night. The trip has been pretty good as far as I can tell. I got in on Thursday night, set up the tentcot, played games on my phone for a bit, then went to sleep. On Friday morning I prepared the rig for some driving and met up with everybody at the cabin. This is my rig sitting at work waiting for me to go:
p7310094.jpg

The first thing we hit was rail bed. The waterfall section of it had a lot of moving water and the ledge was about 4' tall but everybody made it up easily. The rest of the rail bed trail went smoothly. After that we all played around on the lower rock garden, which also went well. Greg hit a hill climb by the lower rock garden but I don't know it's name. Nobody saw him run it but you could hear his motor from a pretty good distance. Sam gave it a try too but was denied. Nobody else gave it a go. This is Sam on one of his attempts.

p8010095.jpg

p8010097.jpg

Next up was can opener/upper rock garden. The can opener section was more dug out than I had seen it before so the rocks were "bigger". For whatever reason my rig seemed to fit better and it went smoothly. A few other guys mentioned that it went better for them than it had in the past. After that trail I noticed that my drain plug was damaged. I thought that the head of the bolt was ripped off and the body (threaded section) had been pushed up into the housing. It turns out that it was actually the magnet that was pushed into the housing. Greg helped me pull the flanges and then I went back to camp to tear down the front axle (pulled inner axles, rotors, spindles, third member etc.) to get the magnet out of the housing.
p8010098.jpg

Here's the culprit:
p8010099.jpg

After that was back together I joined up with everybody for a little night wheeling. We raced around the mountain at mach 1 for a little while then went to a rock garden called white tail. (I think) I was last in line an everybody seemed to be running it pretty smoothly but I broke a rear axle shaft. Even just one year ago being along and broken on the mountain would have made me pretty uneasy. However, it was warm, I had a PB&J sandwich, and water. I figured I was fine for a long time and started using my winch and a small tree to get myself up the hill. I was almost out when Greg came back to check on me and tugged me the rest of the way. (Thanks Greg)

The axle was damaged at Uwharriecross and I asked on a few different forums and I wrote to Bobby Long. Everybody said to run it. The correct answer was "Replace it, you'll be lucky if it lasts two trips." I wasn't really getting on it or anything, it was just weak. Before:
P5180095.JPG

After:
p8020105.jpg

p8020106.jpg

So I got the axle shaft out on Saturday morning, put in a spare, and rejoined the group. This time I went wheeling with Cassidy and Eric (probably not known on this forum) but it wasn't long before I realized my rear locker wasn't engaging. The indicator light said it was fine but it certainly wasn't locked. With that, I decided that three problems was enough for one trip so I broke camp and headed home. I'll get my lazy butt off this couch in a few minutes to take apart the rear axle and figure out why the locker isn't working. With luck, I won't need any parts and I'll be back at Harlan next weekend.

Damn this weekend wasnt cut out for you was it. I probably would have left that magnet in there. I mean it would have stuck to something, and if it did get in the wrong place it would have shredded, those magnets are very soft. But I dont worry about that ****.

As for the axle shaft, damn thats tough. I'll have to go back and read what I read, but I think I would have ran it as well. And carried a spare.

I didnt get **** for pics, but here's what I got. Matt made Cream Puff his bitch, it was pretty damn sweet. His rig goes awesome ! I need beadlocks, blew 3 tires off over the course of the weekend, 2 in one shot (OK so one got the top of the valve stem broke off but anyway.... ) Outside of that and Matt and I both broke syn rope in our winches we came out unscathed. Harlan is badass thanks to the Mud Devils for showing us the scene. Cant wait to do it again !
They all have sweet rigs and drive them with zero mercy. I think ballz out access trial runs were some of the most fun I've had !! That was a blast !
thumb.gif

[attachment deleted by admin]

Great weekend for sure. Wish it could have been longer. I guess we know who had the worst weekend. I hate to see a price tag on that. I did pretty good, with only a "forgot to grease" u-joint failure. Looking forward to the next trip.

Well the good news is that I'm ready for next weekend. All I need to do now is put my tools away and load up the trailer.

When I pulled the rear third member this is what I found. I had hoped this would be the problem. The doodad came out of the whatchamacallit when the rear axle broke.

p8030001.jpg

This is what it's supposed to look like:
p8030002.jpg

And for future reference, if an axle gets stuck in the housing there is no way you can push it out from the other side.
p8030003.jpg

Who had the worst weekend? I thought I had that award on lockdown.

I almost forgot to reply to this.
InDaShop said:
Damn this weekend wasnt cut out for you was it. I probably would have left that magnet in there. I mean it would have stuck to something, and if it did get in the wrong place it would have shredded, those magnets are very soft. But I dont worry about that ****.

As for the axle shaft, damn thats tough. I'll have to go back and read what I read, but I think I would have ran it as well. And carried a spare.
Yeah, it wasn't my best weekend but it wasn't my worst either. Regarding the magnet, I would have been tempted to let the gears puree it too. However, I thought it was the body of the drain plug bolt (about a 5/8" thick bolt), not just a magnet. I didn't find out what it really was until I took it all apart.

Great report....glad P and matt had no problems....good stuff. I am also glad to hear that Matt's buggy is getting it now......good deal on the fix thumb.gif

What lug pattern P? I will be on the lookout for some beadlocks...

wngrog said:
What lug pattern P? I will be on the lookout for some beadlocks...

8 lug. He had Little Jagger til his fear of commitment kicked in. Had a damn good time this weekend. I've got a few things to fix myself, I'm going to fix the front driveline once and for all. And I see a new motor in my near future. :dunno:

I'm glad yall came up and hope everyone had a good time. I think Matt enjoyed it, after some convincing to run Jagger. ;) I'd say that was the turning point of his weekend. Anytime yall want to come back, let me know.

P, how do your kidneys feel today?

Good trip even though my front driveshaft took a dump twice. Should have that mess fixed for good in the next week or so. I have no pics but anyone else who has some feel free to post them up. Good to meet yall Matt and P. Yall are exactly the internet badasses i expected. laughing1

Greg Stone put on a damn good show, but it might be the last one for awhile.

Good time for sure. One of the funnest trips I have been on. Harlan is definately one of my favorite place that I have been.
Good to meet everyone and hang out with the ones I have met before. I am looking forward to getting a buggy and heading that way.
Yeah MattO is a lot more comfortable with his buggy now and it really shows.
Hell if P had beadlocks he would have owned littleJagger.
As far as Greg Stone, he fully gets it and its amazing what that buggy does.
Hopefully my night videoing will turn out ok.
Oh yeah, JT is one of the craziest people I have ever met. pepper.gif Damn he was upset about that shine.

So Travis did you make it to any flea markets on the way home? ;)

Cole, awesome to meet ya too man. Get that buggy built before 2012 and I will come hit some stuff on yalls home turf. Looking forward to that video.

So Travis did you make it to any flea markets on the way home? ;)
[/quote] We did not stop at any flemarkets but me and JT rode round and John asked everybody we saw if thay had seen any really drunk kids.

Yeah Vanguard, Stone beat you out for worst weekend. A roll down Jager means a redo of the complete front section of his chassis, a torn axle housing and a few others parts here and there. He was beating that **** like it owed him money. Damn fine show he put on. The Mud Devils are flat out fun to wheel with, we were out every night till 3am. Baja style on all the access roads and full on gettin it. Nice to meet some of you in person finally. Sam, you have a nice ass rig for a 19yr old, but you don't have the motor to take me on the access road!

Travis made me put get on Jager and it made my day, thanks for the spot on it. Norton and I hit Pony like it owed us money and that impact was hard. I should of backed out of it, but I was being gay. Cream puff, was fawking awesome. Brandon thanks for the ride and the spotting as we went up it! Harlan is the ****!

This morning we realized that fawkin thieves robbed the buggies while we were asleep. That pissed us all off, especially JT. BTW, that guy is a fawkin trip!

Im gonna have to buy some more HD equipment for the front driveline to get the level of commitment you guys have... ballz out hit that **** style. I love it ! The access road antics were just as fun as the trails, I never thought Id want to go back to lockouts until this weekend laughing1

You guys get it... thanks again ! A couple mo pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

P said:
, I never thought Id want to go back to lockouts until this weekend laughing1

Bah...you are not fully getting it if you can do it in 2wd.....cool shots P....

wngrog said:
Bah...you are not fully getting it if you can do it in 2wd.....cool shots P....

Trust me you can fully get it in 2wd.... you need to go ride the access trails at Harlan with the Mud Devils, I think Travis broke one of my kidneys loose from its limit strap last night in 2wd ! laughing1