• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Horsepower questions

MSimpson

I recently had my motor rebuilt with some head and intake work; it dynoed at 621 hp 600 torque with a 850 double pumper. I currently have a mass flow but am looking at fast or Big stuff 3. I read that Tims new rig is pulling 700 hp with mods. GM Performance claims 620 hp / 590 torque. So my question is will the fuel injection and the 180 degree headers
create 80 more horsepower, because I'm right there before these mods and that might be my answer, or were there others mods, and what did the dyno say torque ended up at.
Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Proper Injection and the RIGHT tune can make a BIG difference

I don't see that 180's would make that much difference over conventional headers other than packaging ( I could be wrong )

My .02 don't amount to much though

His 700 is claimed by their guessing dyno! I'm bettin those headers wouldn't help any more than shortys, but I've never seen anyone dyno a engine with those style headers, probably a reason why tho.with that being said Jimmy smith did a hell of a job fabbing them.And Cole had said it wad the 620 horse motor

The injection makes the motor - plain and simple

I had a mass flo set up on a stroker motor and it should have made more power than it did. Their tunes are generic and do not seem to be as custom as they claim.

It took the us sending back the computer as well as a few other parts twice to get it right and I still think it should have made more power than it did.

MSimpson said:
I recently had my motor rebuilt with some head and intake work; it dynoed at 621 hp 600 torque with a 850 double pumper. I currently have a mass flow but am looking at fast or Big stuff 3. I read that Tims new rig is pulling 700 hp with mods. GM Performance claims 620 hp / 590 torque. So my question is will the fuel injection and the 180 degree headers
create 80 more horsepower, because I'm right there before these mods and that might be my answer, or were there others mods, and what did the dyno say torque ended up at.
Thanks any help would be appreciated.
is TC running the mast motor, and harness/ecm???

180 headers are for pulse scavaging at the cylinders high rpm, but only if they are equal which it would be damn hard custom. So for what we do no real hp increase.
Timmy runs big stuff injection/universal TB setup lots of hrs in tuning... Tuning really is the key for hp on these motors.

Correct me if I am wrong ( have been wrong before ) with the information that I have been reading, the most horsepower that I can gain
is maybe 10hp with a well tuned fuel injection system. What I will gain is motor efficiency, but no real change in horsepower.

MSimpson said:
Correct me if I am wrong ( have been wrong before ) with the information that I have been reading, the most horsepower that I can gain
is maybe 10hp with a well tuned fuel injection system. What I will gain is motor efficiency, but no real change in horsepower.

Mark, I'd disagree with that.... I'd bet a GOOD tune on a GOOD injection system could net you as much as 30-45 hp over a so-so tune

Let's see what the BIG DAWGS have to say... :dunno:

I've been looking online tonight and can't find one dyno run that didn't show more horsepower was being made with a carb over fuel injection.I wonder what gm is running their lsx engines with when they rate their output?

thanks for the imfo, will do some research to find out what color gives the best air flow might get to 1200 hp

Elliott said:
I've been looking online tonight and can't find one dyno run that didn't show more horsepower was being made with a carb over fuel injection.I wonder what gm is running their lsx engines with when they rate their output?

That's kind of the line I was thinking as well. Look at Drag racers with 6000 hp, I believe they are running carb's on them, of course custom built for mass delivery. We run injection to keep fueled up on the crazy angles we get on, but limited on the flow I guess with injection systems. :dunno:

Actually top fuel is injected, but most drag racing set ups are mechanical injection, the newer trend being computer controlled for more tuneability.pro stock, some bracket cars, and slot of others do still run carbs.Look up rons flying toilet, and rons terminator, that's what most run around this area. Problem with running mechanical injection on a crawler is the barrel valve, your either going to be idleing or wide open, but I guess that would be perfect for some!

CHASMAN9 said:
That's kind of the line I was thinking as well. Look at Drag racers with 6000 hp, I believe they are running carb's on them, of course custom built for mass delivery. We run injection to keep fueled up on the crazy angles we get on, but limited on the flow I guess with injection systems. :dunno:
Thats alcohol running for a second or two more toliet bowls than carbs. EFI is where its at for almost anything, but it takes some tuning effort. What you gain is control over every aspect of fuel and air delivery... flow is only limited by how big your tb is and or injector size.

Edit Beat me to it

Elliott said:
The GM performance book says it comes with a high rise manifold and a 4 barrell carb.

Then would it be safe to assume you cut the power down by adding the fuel injection then, every sheet Ive been able to find was 20 - 50 horse difference in favor of a carb