• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

KOH spinoff instead of derailing the Plowboy thread

Right now 105k will get you a Bomber Car, Parking in Bomber pit, & race KOH. You just show up. Jake Hallenbeck Bomber that is for sale is what I'm talking about.

Buford85 said:
Right now 105k will get you a Bomber Car, Parking in Bomber pit, & race KOH. You just show up. Jake Hallenbeck Bomber that is for sale is what I'm talking about.

best buggy and parts $ can buy. Fawk load of spares also

you also have to remember that its immediately about twice what it costs to do it since we are so far away.

Some of those guys are "local" out there meaning that it would almost be the same as a big ultra4 type race at harlan (like there was a few years back) which would be MUCH easier for us to go race for a reasonable amount, where someone coming from CA would have to spend 10K to do it easily.

Hell some of those guys running it are just out there on a weekend cruise having a good time trying to get back to camp to get that cold beer as fast as possible :****: :eat: loller.gif

I know I can wheel all year, about every other weekend, in my RV, for less than racing in KOH.

It's all about priorities. I plan to go attend once. I figure I can do that for $5k to $7k. Fly in, rental car, rental RZR, rental motorhome.

Re:

Yes, I wouldn't go to KOH without some experience. The whole circuit maybe not, but in time I want to hit every park I can.

John, by the time I get this show on the road, I'll get you one of those little electric runabout carts with a radio and an orange flag so you don't get hit or spill your jello.

Kel Lawrence

I went with a team once before. I tried to rough estimate what the 1 trip that year cost them. With a new tow rig, new trailer wrap, new race rig, prerunner, wrap for it, fuel, rv, food, spare parts, entry fees etc. all the small things that added up to being at that race was close to half a million total investment. Thats 2 rigs pulling trailers with a rig and rzr each.

I've gone to race twice. The first time was with a basically new car and was a major fail. The second was with the same car 1 year later. I burnt up $20k each time in prep, travel fuel and entry fees. That doesn't even include hard parts or spares. I can remember choking when I realized it was just over $600 just to change the fluids in the my car.

I guess it's still $600 to change the fluids but now they last several races. I can race 4-5 Dirt Riot races on less money and not have to carve 2 weeks out of my work schedule. It's a double whammy for me.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

I think the cheapest way to race it and actually have a chance to be competitive would be the UTV sportsman class. I personally don't get the draw for the average person to spend that kind of money to race and have basically no chance to win, sit in traffic jams all day and get run the fawk over and posterized by Shannon Cambell /Slawson/Baird etc

Lots of ways to race KOH.

If you wanna race in the main event in 4400, bring a fat ass wallet, a checkbook, some credit cards, then some more credit cards.....
But some of the other classes arent as bad. Especially if you dont also have the cost of trying to qualify into a starting position like in 4400.

This is my insight on racing. The truck/trailer/racecar are the cheap part. The racing is expensive. To/from event, prep, place to stay (I dont count food, you have to eat no matter where you are), parts you wreck.
I qualified in to KOH'15 in Kentucky. Wasnt a big expense race, but I blew a tire and THAT was expensive. Tire, wheel, tireballs, brake, and Spidertrax pro-hub star all destroyed. Thats a $2600'ish chunk of concrete I hit.

If you don't have a stockpile of spares, go ahead and set a separate credit card aside just for the overnight shipping fees when you absolutely need something at the last minute while prepping the buggy for a race.

Stretch said:
If you don't have a stockpile of spares, go ahead and set a separate credit card aside just for the overnight shipping fees when you absolutely need something at the last minute while prepping the buggy for a race.

Spares is something I definitely need to think about. Same length driveshafts an links.