• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Land locked property?

Moto85

Bham, AL
I'm posting this here, because surely some of y'all have ran into this in Alabama. I've found this hefty acreage of land for a steal with a Creek and a pond. It appears to be "land locked" by surrounding properties. I've googled and discovered the issue is getting utilities to a house across the adjoining properties.
Is this just a no go? Is it worth pursuing if I really want that land?

Moto85 said:
I'm posting this here, because surely some of y'all have ran into this in Alabama. I've found this hefty acreage of land for a steal with a Creek and a pond. It appears to be "land locked" by surrounding properties. I've googled and discovered the issue is getting utilities to a house across the adjoining properties.
Is this just a no go? Is it worth pursuing if I really want that land?

Do you have a right of easement?

muddinmetal said:
Do you have a right of easement?

OK I so researched that. Thank you. That's what I need to be asking the realtor about.
I'm assuming there are no rights set up, and that's why it's cheap. But I'm going to find out.

And another thing check on getting your utilities ran before you purchase the land. Sometimes that can cost a metric ton of cash! :****:

B.DRAKE said:
We have been lookin for land It is to my understanding that land can't be "land locked" in Alabama. :dunno:

Land in Alabama can't be land locked legally. If property is sold that creates this situation, an easement must be granted by law. I am in the process of buying a house and separate adjoining property. I must close on the property first in order to not be land locked. It can be the same day, but the closing time and date must be before the house closing.

Correct no land can be land locked legally in the state. most likely there is an ingress egress easement to access the property across an adjoining property. What county are you purchasing in? I surveyed for 3 years before I switched to civil design. I have surveyed all over the state so i am pretty familiar with property title searching in most counties. Let me know what county you are looking in and I will see if I can help you out.

As for the utilities you most likely can run the utilities down the ingress egress easement. I wouldnt let any of that scare you as long as you have utilities at the road you can tap.

Keep in mind if you're more than 300 feet from a transformer, you'll have to buy your own. It was $2500 when I bought one three years ago.

Definitely get a price on utilities before purchasing. I recently got an easement to run power n water to a lake lot. The power line they have to come from is 450 yards away. Meaning 4 poles and a service pole which they quoted $21k just to run the power. :eek:

showtime33 said:
Definitely get a price on utilities before purchasing. I recently got an easement to run power n water to a lake lot. The power line they have to come from is 450 yards away. Meaning 4 poles and a service pole which they quoted $21k just to run the power. :eek:

Yep! Heck even at my current house they quoted $3500 to run power to my shop which is only about 100+/- yards away from closest transformer :****:

One of the neighboring property owners should grant you an easement. There is a legal argument that a property
owner cannot be denied access to his property. I would bet that there has been an agreement in the past just
not recorded or discovered yet. A judge will grant you access over another's property to the closest public road.
There are many types of easements. You need specific legal advise. I would put a condition on the sale only after
an easement is granted.

Another piece to solving this puzzle is if there are creeks or small waterways to be crossed to get to the property. The snail darters and furry clams living in those creeks are highly guarded by all the naturist such as the ones that shut down Tellico years ago. I used to deal with ALDOT on roadways and bridges and in order to get there blessing to modify any property, you had to get approvals from Historians, marine biologists, and a few other greased palms being held out. :****:

I've gotten a little further into this rabbit hole. I'd have to run power roughly 2000ft through uncleared timber, which as stated above will likely cost a metric **** ton. I think it would cost less to go off grid with solar and wind with generator back ups. Are we going to be pee pee smacked for not being grid connected way out in the woods of Jefferson county?

If you have to borrow money to buy the land, no bank or other loan place well not loan money unless you have a rightaway. so make sure you got that or can get it before you buy it

4762ad57f91af794607929a1f4b4637e.jpg

I am in a property class and thought about this thread when I was going through my notes. No cites of statutes to back it up but I thought it was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a farm in Tennessee that land locks another property. It a bitch. For many many years they access this property by crossing a small creek. Lo and behold some endangered snail was found in the creek about 7yrs. They were told to build a bridge and not drive across the the creek anymore. Along story short they couldn't afford to build such bridge. So they come crying to me to access there property/home. I would never ever buy land that was land lock unless I had deep pockets are such property was sentimental. Call me a **** but they aren't using my land long term to access there property. As long as the the old man and his daughter are alive they can but if something Happens to them there grand kids are ****ed. Ain't no meth eating drug banging pos using my property !