• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

late 99 f250 7.3 issues.

95limitedzj

Having some issues after an injector swap and custom flashed chip install. Got everything from full force but they're closed for the weekend thought i'd test some of yall knowledge first.

Background: truck had 380kish miles wouldnt start unless plugged in. Needed injectors and glowplugs. Changed all glowplugs and injectors for stage 1 single shots from full force who reflashed a brand new ts 6 position for the injectors. During swap found coolant in injector cup so replaced those. Also rebuilt oil cooler and installed all needed sensors and sending units for 3 gauge pillar pods. Go to start truck and it starts and runs about 1-2 minutes and just cuts off. SSets a service engine soon light and wont restart. Wait 30 minutes and service engine soon light goes off and it starts again for a few minutes and dies again the same.

So far ive changed cps twice knowing its a common issue and can ha e bad parts out of the box and also because after it sets the code the tach stops bouncing when cranking which is usually a cps issue. When it does crank it reads fine and runs fine.

Ive pulled idm and pcu to make sure all connections are tight and reinstalled. Same issue. The IPS has oil in the connector so i have one of those ordered and on the way but from the reading ive done just disconnecting it should allow truck to run in limp mode. done that and same issue.

Any ideas or thoughts for the weekend until i can contact full force monday?

thanks

Also using the 2 universal code readers i have it isnt showing any stord or pending faults.. i know the auto enginuity suite or the expensive snapon style scanners could probably tell me exactly whats wrong but i dont have access to either at the moment.

Should have just called me for the parts ;) Try pulling the chip and starting the truck, it will run just will have a rough Idle because of the single shots. If it is setting a CEL, there will be a stored code in the PCM, your scanner is just not picking it up (some don't). When the CEL comes on the truck just dies?

Yeah it stumbles once then shuts down. Ill pull the chip and see if it will run for more than a minute or two. Brock told me to call you after i had already placed the order. Thanks for the help.

Pulled harness and removed pcm and took out the chip reinstalled everything and its running now for over 5minutes. Hasnt shut off yet? Bad reflash? Doesnt seem to be running too bad..

Still running maybe 15 minutes... ive reqd it takes 10-50 miles of droving to get the air out of the hpop and fuel system after injectors is it safe to drive on the stock tune?

95limitedzj said:
Yeah it stumbles once then shuts down. Ill pull the chip and see if it will run for more than a minute or two. Brock told me to call you after i had already placed the order. Thanks for the help.

Lies. I told you to call him long before that.

95limitedzj said:
Still running maybe 15 minutes... ive reqd it takes 10-50 miles of droving to get the air out of the hpop and fuel system after injectors is it safe to drive on the stock tune?

Yes. Just runs like crap

ran it around the block and seems to run fine, does idle rough. going to call full force on monday and see if I can get the chip reflashed or whatever it will take. somewhere along the way of my diagnosing i have shorted or blown a fuse for the running lights and taillights and dash lights.... so there
s my next project. thanks again for the help.

95limitedzj said:
Yes its ok to drive it around with single shots in there for a while without tunes, just no towing.

95limitedzj said:
ran it around the block and seems to run fine, does idle rough. going to call full force on monday and see if I can get the chip reflashed or whatever it will take. somewhere along the way of my diagnosing i have shorted or blown a fuse for the running lights and taillights and dash lights.... so there
s my next project. thanks again for the help.

No problems, have them mail the diagnostic check to me. molaugh

Just make sure all the silicon is off the of computer board where the chip goes in, with some on there it can cause weird issues.

When I reset the chip the first time I made sure it was clean again, if i clean it anymore the tinning on the contacts will be down to just the copper. Could a bad IPS cause it to not run correctly, as i said im pretty sure it's bad as it had oil in it, just don't have the replacement part yet.

95limitedzj said:
When I reset the chip the first time I made sure it was clean again, if i clean it anymore the tinning on the contacts will be down to just the copper. Could a bad IPS cause it to not run correctly, as i said im pretty sure it's bad as it had oil in it, just don't have the replacement part yet.

It wouldn't run. You removed tuner, it runs. Ya don't have to be an engineer to figure that one out. :flipoff1:

I'd read with a tuned chip it may be looking for a certain ICP pressure to run correctly. and if the ICP isn't functioning correctly, it may shut it down. Don't know why it wouldn't matter on stock PCM but just brainstorming. Need to have it finished by Friday to tow my junk to Morris for Shamrock...

just went back to check out of curiosity and the 6 position chip i sent off to be reburned with the new injectors had a NVK4 callout on it, the PCM access port cover has a NVK3 part #. The documentation from full force doesnt state what they retuned it for when they had it, but i've seen that NVK4 will work on NVK3, but not if its a single or 2 bank chip? how can you tell?

Ok, talked to full force, he had me recheck the knob wires and clean and reseat the chip 1 more time and that worked. started up and runs fine in all tunes, I must have not cleaned it down far enough on the backside of the pcm contacts. Thanks for all the help everyone. old 380k 7.3 will black smoke and tire smoke still with the 140+ tune...