• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Junk

My next task was to finalize the steering. I had found the pitman arm was not centered in the steering throw--I must have missed that. So I popped it off and got it centered. Then I went and adjusted the steering stops and adjusted the draglink for centered steering left/right. So once that was done I was 100% on the ram throw and how much to limit.

Wow--I did find this before I even removed the ram...

boosted162.jpg

That started just from cycling the steering without it running..

But in any case I found I had to limit the ram 5/8". Now I have never had this particular ram apart but I have always found you can easily limit them durring extension. So of course I left enough adjustment in the ram to where I could make sure the ram bottomed out when turning one way.

So I removed the ram and tore it apart.

boosted163.jpg

I found some material that fit the shaft nicely and cut it to just a tad under 5/8"

boosted164.jpg

As you can see it slides over the shaft and causes the ram to bottom out against the cap.

boosted165.jpg

So I bled the air out of the system and threw the tires on and dropped the bitch onto the ground finally on the front.

boosted166.jpg

Now is where things turned sour..

So I ran the motor and started checking things. The first thing I found--the alternator wasn't putting anything out and I wired the charge lamp bulb into the mix. Well of course that and the check engine lamp(which is actually the brake lamp bulb) didn't turn on. So I went and pulled the cluster out--damn there are not bulbs in the charge lamp and brake lamp. So now I am thinking great--no problem. So before I threw the cluster in--I checked for continuity from the cluser to the alt--none. Crap. Well on the 1st gen trucks they used a charge lamp relay and I somehow crossed the wrong 2 wires so the circuit was open. So I corrected that and rechecked--yup continuity. Thew the cluster back in and thinking great---should all be ok.

Well the alternator still inst putting anything out--fawk. I was lucky enough for glendon stopping by and just for giggles I double checked my circuit with a known good setup--yup the alt is BAD....... So I pulled it so I can grab another tommorow--of course I had to remove a bunch of ****...

Well that was the first thing. I ran the motor hot to get the coolant filled--threw the cap on and damn--the radiator is leaking on the upper neck--there is a facture in it. I looked at fixing it but there is too much corrosion around the neck to even do any good....---fawk!!!!!!

So I said screw that and decided to get the switch panel done. Well here is what I came up with. It turned out more elabrit than what I was trying--but I always seem to do that,lol..

boosted167.jpg

boosted168.jpg

I also got all of the switchs wired up and tested and I have to grab one more switch tommorow...

So whats the latest news Mike? Did you get the ARB parts you needed? Shall I order the ARB install kit from TG? Want to throw a spool in there instead? Do I need to order a complete third?

Lemme know.... :;

BTW....Frankie, was good reading that you would be calling me....would be great if you actually do! :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

I hate to see you waiste "alot" more $$ on arb stuff. Give it one more day--and if need be I can throw together a welded diff and just plan on fixing that after the weekend...

Is your plan to have this ready for this weekend??? Is the owner gonna be in town for the GTG??

Yes that is the plan. I fly in this Friday afternoon and will be there for the GTG with or without my junk....hopefully with. :;

So Mike, want me to send mo $$ for a radiator and alternator??? Lemme know.

Bill

Mike,

My friend Simon picked up the drivelines last night and is planning on dropping them off to you this morning (at your work). He should be there around 7am or so. He also has new hardware for the drivelines.

Give me a call when you get a chance....

Thanks, Bill

Yes that is the plan. I fly in this Friday afternoon and will be there for the GTG with or without my junk....hopefully with. :;

So Mike, want me to send mo $$ for a radiator and alternator??? Lemme know.

Bill

Sweet! :awesomework:It'll be good to put a face to the name!:cool:

I just got to work--and 2 items siting here.. damn the front is heavy. They look good and I will get the front in tonight.

I will handle the rad and alt today--hopefully have them for tonight so I can move forward.

Ok--long day at work today--if I get some spare time I will give ya a jingle bill....

Hey Mike....should I have Dave send over some tube doors or nvm and just throw on the stock ones?

Damn I cant wait....the suspense is killing me! :mad: :;

No pics--too busy..

Ok front shaft is in--perfect fit..

I went ahead and built the rear third with a welded diff I have so thats one thing I will have to redo after this weekend..

the rear shaft is too long--plus is is the small yoke style (8mm) but I just so happen to have one that fits (kinda extended) so we are good there. I would have had the rear end on the ground but damit--forgot the damn inner axle seals.. I will try to update with pics tommorw....

I am tired...

No pics--too busy..

Ok front shaft is in--perfect fit..

I went ahead and built the rear third with a welded diff I have so thats one thing I will have to redo after this weekend..

the rear shaft is too long--plus is is the small yoke style (8mm) but I just so happen to have one that fits (kinda extended) so we are good there. I would have had the rear end on the ground but damit--forgot the damn inner axle seals.. I will try to update with pics tommorw....

I am tired...

Anything else we need Mike? Do I need to come with a truck and trailer to get the rig to Reiter? I sold my trailer so I dont have one atm and Im trying to find one. Worst case senerio, I suppose I could rent from one from Uhaul.

Let me know....

Thanks, Bill

the rear shaft is too long--plus is is the small yoke style (8mm) but I just so happen to have one that fits (kinda extended) so we are good there.

I think the rear spring perches have 3 holes in them? If so, could we move the rear axle forward 1 hole so the rear shaft you had wont be "kinda extended" ???

Ok I have been pushing as hard as I can to get this thing trail worthy for this weekend..

I got a vent hose made(from the valve cover to intake). It was actually pretty easy. just needed a 3/8" elbo, some 5/8" hose and 3/8" hose

boosted169.jpg

I also got the switchs all done up and mounted..

boosted170.jpg

The drive shafts also got dropped off. If I remember correctly bill had gotten a long slip from TG--if thats the case they have improved that product..

boosted171.jpg

So since I don't have the correct ARB parts to finish it--I had to grab one of my welded carriers and setup the rear third member with that. This was my first set of TG gears that I have done--and I was pretty impressed with how nicely they setup--good constant patterns.. So I tossed the third in and went to throw the driveshaft in--fawker is too long... So I went out into my parts shed and I was able to find a shaft that was pretty close--a little extened on the slip but as long as bill can keep from hitting bumps REALLY hard--it should be ok.

boosted172.jpg