• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

sleepsontoilet said:
I guess people with holes in the hood are just garage hacks... :stir:

HA...funny thing is as soon as I posted that I went back to look at your thread to see what you did with yours. Foot in mouth...oh well :****:

Then I went and looked at onetoncrawlers build since it was running the 1.3 motor. I'll be sending back a new TG res I got from LROR and trading it for the PSC res. When that shows up I'll be moving it as close to the pump as I can. The turbo throws a wrench in that to some degree, but I looked it over tonight and I think I can make it work. At this point my feed line is just shy of 24" and PSC says the max they recommend is 16"...so I'm obviously not where I need to be with my setup.

My new setup is below the hood. I prefer everything concealed for a clean look, but sometimes I have to sacrifice looks for function. Never any offense here, I'm proud of my hackness. Hahaha

Finally bit the bullet and chopped the frame today. I didn't realize what a pain the motor mounts would be. Clearances really are tight and I just got lucky that the bolt will slide in the driver side mount. I quit tonight when I realized the tabs coming off the block on the pass side are gonna have to be quite a bit longer in order for the bolt to clear the starter and alternator.

In any case I got the new tube frame rails in and started working on the winch mount location. I also got the orbital mounted and will be redoing the res mount location. Hopefully tomorrow night I'll wrap up the pass side mount and get the winch in place.

IMG_20160828_184511296_zpsigpfw9jp.jpg

IMG_20160828_184228714_zpsqokx4wcs.jpg

IMG_20160828_133018068_zpsmydjxdyh.jpg

IMG_20160828_180502822_zpsgqtbz5aw.jpg

Happy to finally have the front end clutter free. Now I just need to decide what I want to do to pull it all together. I've got a few other rigs that I'm pulling ideas from, but still scratching my head...

IMG_20160830_221423699_zpsiiodq2eq.jpg

IMG_20160830_215735966_zpskllvnatl.jpg

IMG_20160830_215723391_zpsr4tss8yk.jpg

IMG_20160830_215023233_zpsesrsm57w.jpg

IMG_20160830_214957607_zpslw26qamo.jpg

I could probably leave it alone too. I will be ditching my aluminum fairlead so that I can drop the line straight down to the axle. If I keep the fairlead my hook won't fit through it so I'll be stuck with it hanging off the front or having a really bad angle down to the axle. I'll be adding a horizontal tube between the front hoop and then two short vertical pieces from it down the bumper tube. These will all be behind the centerline of the hoop so that's probably more than enough support.

If you will blow a hole through the bottom of your winch plate and ditch the hook, you can still use the alum. fairlead. That is what we all do and use a clevis. It allows you to run a suck down and then pull the clevis and run it through the fair lead whenever you need to winch.

Well I'd thought I could remove my book from the thimble on my line but it's on there permanently. So I can ditch the fairlead and pull the hook to whichever point I need it at, or cut the hook off and use a d ring. I like my hook...crap.

tube-thimble_zpsgjfra6eq.png

clemsonjeep said:
Well I'd thought I could remove my book from the thimble on my line but it's on there permanently. So I can ditch the fairlead and pull the hook to whichever point I need it at, or cut the hook off and use a d ring. I like my hook...crap.

tube-thimble_zpsgjfra6eq.png

I was in the same boat with the exact same hook. The guys showed me how to unbraid my winch line so I didn't have to cut it. Those are the only two options for taking the hook off. I thought I wouldn't like using d rings too, but they are growing on me.